10/07/2009 at 05:31
Hi!

I had a quote from Ghanaian caterers for £6 per head for either buffet or 3 course meal! I thought it was too good to be true. www.asafocaterers.com

Not sure about this as I cannot see how they would make any profit with this. We are still planning to have a taster session with them. If they are good, it would be a cracking deal.

What do you think? Has anyone heard or had experiences from them or other caterers that charge similar?
10/07/2009 at 05:34
I think its too good to be true! Have you had a sample of what they are offering at this price??
10/07/2009 at 05:47
well this what I requested when I asked for a quote:

Starter: Deep fried spring rolls and prawn balls with sweet chilli sauce

Main: Roast lamb or grilled chicken/fish with green salad plus choice of potatoe salad, pasta salad or jollof rice

Dessert: fruit salad or maybe ice cream

They even said a discount could apply if meals are for 200 people!
10/07/2009 at 11:15
I don't want to sound picky but have you seen the pics of their wedding cakes....? I don't think i would trust them to do my catering even at £6/head.

http://www.asafocaterers.com/page10.html

We've been chatting to Albert at Jollof Pot....who have been very professional and helpful. If you're on a tight budget i'm sure they could accommodate you, they set up and provide waiters and all the cutlery and crockery for you, well worth having a chat to Albert. They will work around your venue and with you.

http://www.jollofpot.co.uk/docs/contacts/contacts.php
11/07/2009 at 18:46
hmm I spoke t Albert earlier actually and he seemed to laugh off our budget of £12-15 per head. Think they might be out of our reach!
13/07/2009 at 09:46
i'm no expert but IMO £6 is too good to be true - even for a buffet...unless they are using EXTREMELY cheap ingredients and not making a penny of profit! It is 100% untrue for a sit down 3 course meal huni...

waiting staff are expensive - so you couldnt possibly pay £6 per head for such a high level of attention and service.

jollof pot will be making a few items for our wedding and the rest of the catering will be done by cyril at mychoppys.

I have found albert and adwoa to be very helpful but they are expensive - but then they do offer a high level of service incl. flowers at the buffet table as i saw recently at my friend's engagement ; )

let us know how you get on though with asafo
13/07/2009 at 11:08
thanks. been scouring the net trying to find real reviews of them and nothing. My OH and I will go along and have a taster with them later during the year anyway. I also just speoke to Nigel from Favour (very nice!).

Will let you know
13/07/2009 at 11:59
I think it's possible. Most other caterers just have a bigger mark-up and plenty will rip you off. I had a quote for £6 too. The caterer I went with did our buffet for £10 per head, a 3 course buffet. It included glassware, crockery and cutlery. They served our drinks too. I used him as he did my cousin's wedding last year so I knew he had experience of weddings and I knew what the food was like. I have to say the food he did at my wedding was much tastier!!!
13/07/2009 at 12:00
...I have to add that he kept that rate for us as we got the quote at the time of my cousin's wedding last year. They did try doing a new quote of about 12/14 per head which I still think is good.
13/07/2009 at 12:27
princess you must let me have his details for BOTH PLEASE

[Modified by: brownbabygirl on July 13, 2009 05:29 PM]

13/07/2009 at 15:48
I'd be interested Princess....if it's Ghanian, African etc....found English cuisine at £12 per head and no charge for the venue in Dulwich.
16/07/2009 at 07:47
Dear Brides to be..I am new on this forum...H2B proposed about a 2 months ago..so I have just started thinking about our wedding date.. and plans.

So I am here to learn from you guys..lucky for me I have been to quite a few weddings and have ideas of some of the vendors I am going to use....but one of my issues is food..

I have been to few weddings and noticed that the couple have used some cheap Catering company and had to live through the horror of chaving food poisoning..

what are the name of reputable wedding catering companies in the Black community..please help
So can
16/07/2009 at 09:23
Quoted:
I'd be interested Princess....if it's Ghanian, African etc....found English cuisine at £12 per head and no charge for the venue in Dulwich.

sounds good. can you give details please?
16/07/2009 at 09:39
ah - brownbabygirl... just re-read your post. Changed my mind and do think it is possible, given that the selection of food is quite small. Let me kow how you get on with them at the tasting.

18/07/2009 at 10:59
Ask them for recommendations - what other weddings have they done? £6 per head does seem VERY cheap - not impossible but you get what you pay for.....

[Modified by: Londongirl1 on July 18, 2009 04:00 PM]

20/07/2009 at 05:15
brownbabygirl sorry I just noticed you asked about Ghanian caterers. Mine are West Indian.

We had soup starters, cod fish balls, rice & peas, jerk chicken, normal chicken, fried fish, curry mutton, white rice, vegetables, noodles, macaroni cheese, salad. Apple pie and custard or cheesecake and ice cream dessert. All very delicious (even more so than when he did my cousin's wedding last year) and absolutely no reports of food poisoning. He knows what he's doing and takes pride in it!
20/07/2009 at 10:01
no probs. west indian is fine as well. can u post his details pls?
20/07/2009 at 10:10
I am not being funny but i looked at their website and it looks like 6 pound per head it looks really poor quality.
If you are black then you should know its the one thing people will remember at your wedding my nan still talks about how awful my cousin's wedding food was and that was 3 years ago she got some back street cheap people to do her food.

Stop thinking how low can i go and start thinking quality for £6 they will be using tesco value ingdeiants
21/07/2009 at 04:44
From their website I think the pastries look poor and fish looks dry (like most africans do it, i hate it). hot food looks well presented though.
27/07/2009 at 12:00
HiLadies

Try Mahogany restaurant in Leyton East London. I met with the lady who owns the restaurant a couple of weeks ago and sampled her food. Its quite good. I am not sure where she is from however she caters for Ghanaian and Nigerian.

She gave me a consultation and is charging roughly £7 a head. She is extremely professional and will provide you with some good advice. She will only deliver the food - that is why it is cheap. You will have to hire staff to serve this though.

Which online planning tools would you find useful?