29/06/2007 at 11:39
Does anyone else get a bright red rash on their chest and neck when they get really nervous?

If I have an interview or something like that I have to wear a polo neck, but my wedding dress is strapless and my neck and chest are exposed! Worried that it will come out with a vengeance on the big day (25th August 2007).

Some of you may say have some alcohol to steady your nerves but that seems to make it worse, sometimes it happens but sometimes it doesn't?!?

Anyone else suffer from this bizarre ailment?
29/06/2007 at 11:45
Yes I do slightly! It's rather annoying! I don't get it bad. Once I saw this one girl, whilst I was in a performance and she had a solo to sing. My god, she went sooo red!! I have the same when I get nervous.
I did once here that there is a cream you can put on to make it better. Where or what or even how much it costs i do not know! i bet it doesn't even work.
Look at it this way. It's a sign of emotion! which is nice, at least people will realise that it means a lot to you. I bet after the ceremony it will calm down and you will look beautiful for the photos!
My wedding is 28 days time and I'm not worried about it - it's who you are!!! Good luck!
29/06/2007 at 11:52
I do unfortunately. I have exactly the same problem & I have no idea how to stop it. I'm going to take Bach Rescue remedy but not sure if there is much else I can do. Mine tends to go down as I relax so hopefully it will be short lived.....!
29/06/2007 at 12:11
Hi Kelly,

I get this too, I always get it whenever I feel emotional even when I'm angry about something grrr.

I once had to give a talk to a bunch of nurses, and I could feel myself getting so red and knew that my neck was all flushed. Afterwards one of the nurses said to me 'that was a heck of a histimine (sp?) reaction'!!! I asked what he meant and he said its the body releasing histimine into the blood stream like when you have a allergic reaction to something. So I take an anti-histimine tablet (hayfever remedy- non drowsy one) when I know I'm likely to have the problem, and it does seem to help. It might be a load of rubbish, for all i know, but it does help me.

The only down-side is that you can't really drink alcohol with them, so you might have to experiment with the dosage a bit.

Hope this helps you xx
29/06/2007 at 19:19
Yes, I get these too.

I suppose I haven't been too nervous about it happening on the day though just because I know that there is no way i can stay nervous for an entire day - both the ceremony and reception. I've resigned myself to the fact that it may happen while I'm walking down the aisle - actually maybe if I get a long enough veil, that could cover it then while it is at its worst.

Could that be an idea for you as well? Remember though, like I said, even though you will be nervous, no one can maintain that level of nerves for 10 hours. Eventually I would imagine that once the big moment at the altar is through you will calm down and the hives will too. I hope so!!!

Good luck!
29/06/2007 at 20:16
I have the same problem! My face too, thanks to rosacea... sigh. Alcohol makes it worse for me so I just take deep breaths and try to forget it. Nobody thinks it looks hideous or anything, and it is just a sign of emotion! Just try to forget about it as worrying about it makes it worse (at least in my case).
30/06/2007 at 12:26
I also grt this but I seem to get it more when I get hot (like a really bad heat rash!) all over my chest and face. I might try that hay-fever thing but I dont know about a cream-it could make it worse?
30/06/2007 at 12:28
Also have you thought about getting a bit of a tan I thought it may not look as bad then. Also (nothing to do with the rash!) but im also getting married 25th August, 55 days to go!!
30/06/2007 at 16:25
i get this too , there was a post on here a while ago where some of the girls said that the green corrective cream ( like boots no 7) seems to help a lot , i am gonna try this and also have a fake tan before we go , hoping this will work
30/06/2007 at 16:30
I'm so glad i'm not the only one who has this problem (not that i'd wish it on anyone if you know what i mean) I'll try the antihistamine idea as i get it even when i don't feel nervous and it really upsets me. I was going to look for a non strapless dress for that reason. Em x
01/07/2007 at 04:59
I get this to. It effects my neck, chest, arms, back.......it appears in a blotchy way. It is embarrassing, but most of my family now know that I get it....it started a couple of years ago. The only worry for me on the day is, that when I actually walk down the aisle, it will be the first time a lot of my H2B's family have seen me in the flesh so to speak!!! And they don't know about my embarrassing blotchiness.

It is a histamine release and a vaso-dilation attack, I do take anti-histamines to minimise the effect and it does help to curtail it. I feel physically sick when I think about waiting outside of the ceremony room to enter, I can imagine my heart racing and this hideous redness overtake me. I've spoken to a GP about it and he suggested that I try beta-blockers, they apparently block the signals to fight the blood vessel dilation and regulate your heart to keep you calm. I am not recommending this to anyone, but the GP I was speaking to at the time was shocked to see that I broke out in this rash just explaining what I was afraid of happening!!!

[Modified by: Kay1973 on July 01, 2007 10:01 AM]
01/07/2007 at 05:35
I get this, and people quite often comment on it, thinking it is a rash. I also get it on contact, so if I out my hand up to neck or chest it develops. To be honest, it doesn't bother me- it's just a part of me!

It would make sense that an anti-histamine would work though I guess. And I find Bach Rescue Remedy a great help at calming nerves, so that's probably worth a try too.

Lucy x
01/07/2007 at 09:57
i gat this too (sigh).
i just take some deep breathes, and bachs rescue rememdy!
And my wedding dress has a sheer sparkly jacket, so even if it does kick off, and won't be so worried about it!
01/07/2007 at 17:48
It is good to know that I am not alone!!I also get this rash, when I am nervous/angry/excited etc. When I did my driving test I was prescribed a beta blocker and I didnt get my rash. However, you are not supposed to drink with them so not a good idea if you want a few glasses of champers.
I agree that the best course of action is probably a mixture of rescue remedy,an anti-histimine and fake tan(nivea holiday skin is great if you are fair as I am)I did all this as a bridesmaid and hardly got the rash at all.
The annoying thing about it is the more you worry about it the worse it gets.my other half always says he never even notices it but I do!
best of luck and let me know if you discover a wondercure! x
02/07/2007 at 07:52
Hi girls,

Thank you all so much for your replies, it is so nice to know that I am not the only one out there who suffers from this!

I already take anti-histamine tablets for my hayfever so know that these don't calm the rash, but will definitely try the fake tan and possibly the beta-blockers as will probably steer clear of the champers cos I go really red when I'm on the bubbles!

I have also read somewhere over the weekend that it is mind over matter and that if you say to yourself, "I'm not going to go red", then you can actually convince yourself that you don't suffer from it - worth a try I suppose!

Another tip I had from my hairdresser - wear your hair down and curly so your locks can fall partly over your chest and you feel a bit more secure - coupled with a vail round our shoulders!

Good luck to all your other brides who suffer from this, let's just try and enjoy our day and like one of you said, we can't surely stay nervous for the entire day - once that ceremony is over we should be fine!

Thanks again girls!

Kelz x
04/07/2007 at 11:44
hi Kelly206cc,

both me and my big sis have this issue and she is worrying about this as her wed is in Oct '07'! I have however tried that 'green cream' under makeup but it made me look very very pale (have been asked if i were ill ).

I do believe in mind over matter & positive thinking because if you keep telling yourself you will go 'red' then your body reacts to this. I used to have this really bad when nervous or even not really for any reason and now I don't really, I found that what I was doing was worring about a situation before this actually happened and also when I would go 'red' I would continually think about it and this made it far worse for me! Now I take a different approach, i think of situations ahead and picture myself calm and relaxed and don't even let myself think about the 'redness' and it has helped greatly. I think its about retraining you level of thoughts to positive thinking!

Hope this helps a little!
04/07/2007 at 13:29
I normally get this really bad, so I have loads of sympathy for you. On my wedding day though, there was so much going on and I didn't get chance to think "ooh these people are looking at me" so I never had a problem!! I was sooo worried beforehand, but I even stood up and did a speech without a hint of redness creeping in!

Don't let it stress you out - it may not happen!

Corinna x
14/09/2007 at 12:14
Hi girls,

Just thought I would let you fellow rash sufferers know that I didn't go red one bit on my wedding day, despite going bright ribena berry red at the rehearsal!

I took a Diazapane (however you spell it!) and proceeded with a couple of small glasses of Champers on the morning, it really did me the trick, everyone said how confident I was and how I didn't look nervous at all throughout all the vows - I was so pleased with myself, I didn't stop smiling all day, a lot of it is also mind over matter, just imagine yourself to be a celebrity and that is why everyone is looking at you, it gives you great confidence!

As soon as I get a photo, I will put it on!

Good luck girls, and if it doesn't work for you, just remember that your h2b loves you for who you are and the fact that you are marrying each other is all that matters, it's really not that bad on the day, you are in your own little bubble, I couldn't tell you who was there if I didn't know the attendee list!

Kelz x
Your say
email image

What do you think of our new wedding venues directory at www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/venues?