Emotional support

Who pay’s for Bridesmaids make- up?

1 to 13 of 13 posts

Wedding addict

As I have only been a bridesmaid once as a teenager and the bride did my make-up for me (Sister) I would like to know where I stand here? 

I have already paid for their dresses, hair, gifts  and flowers and have three Bridesmaids and one MOH. 

One of my bridesmaids thinks I should pay for her make-up, I have explained that I simply don’t have the budget for it. I am paying to have mine done and both my Mum and MOH are paying to get theirs done. I offered the make- up artist number. Am I being unreasonable? Less than 2 months to go and feeling stressed! 

Bridezilla

I'm a BM next month and we are paying for our own make up (if we want it). Bride is paying for our hair. 

I'm doing the same, paying for hair but if they want makeup they are paying.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I'm a BM next month and we are paying for our own make up (if we want it). Bride is paying for our hair. 

I'm doing the same, paying for hair but if they want makeup they are paying.

Thank you for your reply. I assumed that if Bride wants you to have a certain hair style or look, then she pays for it, otherwise it’s at her discretion. I have even allowed them to have their hair how they want and trying to not be ‘Bridezilla’. Hope your planning is going well. 

Wedding addict

If you have paid for everything else I say if they want their hair and make up done they pay for it or they can do it themselves on the morning? I have my bridesmaids this option. Either they can pay for hair and make up or do it themselves on the morning like I am :) 

Bridezilla

Mine are paying for their own, if they want it, but I’m not dictating any particular way I want them to look. I think if you decide what they have then you should pay, but if theyre paying they should get to choose their own. I would be firm with your BM and say it’s just not in the budget, but happy for her to either pay for hers or do it herself. 

My planning thread: 

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-sussex-barn-wedding---july-2018wed/440703.html

Bridezilla

do they have a choice as to whether to have professional make up or not? If so then they should pay if they choose to have it. If you are asking that they get it done professionally then you should pay in my opinion.

Bridezilla

I've paid for their hair because Id like them to have their hair up. I'm doing my own make up and if anyone wanted theirs done professionally they can pay for it. I paid for their dresses but not their shoes.

Bridezilla

As the others have said if you want them to have professional makeup done then you should pay, if you are not fussed and are happy for them to do their own then it's up to them, if they want it done professionally they should pay. 

I am paying for both hair and make up but mainly as a thank you and for it to be a nice treat for them, i'm not fussed how they have their hair etc.

Bridezilla

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just as long as expectations are made clear at the start.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

I'm in the camp of, if you dictate what they are having you pay, if they can choose they pay. Or as others have said a good compromise is to get the hair done for all of you, but not the makeup. T

That's what I was originally going to do but then my budget increased. So now I am paying for hair and makeup. 

Bridezilla

I am paying for the BMs to have their hair done, but said they are welcome to have their make up done if they want to.  The MUA is a friend of the family, and she is only charging us £25 a head anyway, which is cost.  They all said they wanted to have it done, and are paying directly.

Wedding addict

I don’t mind how they have their hair and makeup. I have paid £170 for each dress, £35 for hair, £35 for flowers and got them a gift for £50 each. I have 4 Bridesmaids. My make-up artist charges £60 for each Bridesmaid, so it isn’t in my budget and I want to treat them all the same. I have said she can have the details of my artist, use her own or even do it herself. I have explained it’s not in my budget and made it clear from day 1, but she is kicking off saying I didn’t. Thank you all for your feedback ladies.