29/01/2009 at 05:07
Ive been married for 6 months and havent changed my driving license yet. (i know im a bad girl) but with being very ill and moving home, getting sacked form a job and a hospital stay i forgot.

I went to do it online but it says that u can only change address. Which also needs done. Do i have to go to a PO and get a driving form and fill it in?

Anyone help??

xxx
29/01/2009 at 05:14
Hiya Racheybabes! I have just sent off my change of name to DVLA after almost 10 months! You need to go and get a driving license application form from the Post office and fill it in and send it off with a new passport size photo, marriage certificate, paper driving license and photo license and youll get a new one back. Its free to do as well!
xx
29/01/2009 at 05:14
Go to the post office and tell them you want to change your name on your driving license. They will give you the form (it is the same one you use for a change of address/applying for a license, etc).

You only need to fill in one or two sections of the form, so read the instruction leaflet through.

Please get it done - you can actually by fined up to £1,000 if you are caught driving on a license that does not have your correct name and/or address on it.
29/01/2009 at 05:38
Thanks! Will get that done over weekend. Have to send original wedding cert. Not sure about that as i was married in america and only have 1 copy! Will get it recorded delivery i think.

I knew you had to do it in 6 months but its been a mad few months. Havent done passport either as its 80 quid! Cant believe it!

xxxx
29/01/2009 at 09:36
hey mrsracheybabes, if you can't get down to a post office you can order the forms on the dvla website too. they will post it out to you within a couple of days (my local post office didn't have any of the forms which is why i did this)

i know what you mean about the passport. i got married in september and don't plan on changing my passport yet it's so bloody expensive & i only renewed it in 2007 so i have ages left on it!!! any holidays we book will just be in my maiden name for a while!
xx
29/01/2009 at 10:26
MrsGrainger - is it ok to do that? I'm reluctant to change my passport (well, I can't be arsed more like). Can I just use it anyway? Sorry to be dumb.

Weirdly I was looking at the DVLA website this morning 'cos I got a car insurance renewal quote the other day and noticed the policy was still under my old name! This reminded me that I hadn't done my driving licence either.

29/01/2009 at 10:37
i guess so. i was told so long as you book any holidays or flights in the name on your passport it's not a problem. and that you won't be able to use your passport for ID. but i use my driving license if i need ID for anything.
xx
29/01/2009 at 10:43
I havent done my passport yet either, Im not planning to go on holiday for the time being so probably wont need it.

Have changed my name on my driving licence though, did it a few weeks ago (finally got round to it!). Only took about 5 days to get here aswell
29/01/2009 at 10:50
how do you change your name on your car details? like whos name the car is in? because i cant have car in one name then driving licence and insurance in another...or can i??
29/01/2009 at 10:52
Do you mean the log book? ie who its registered with at the DVLA? I have no idea, I did think about this the other day though
29/01/2009 at 10:52
mrsdaisybride, you can change your name on your logbook document. just complete the section just inside on the first page and send the whole thing back to the DVLA
hope that helps!
xx
29/01/2009 at 10:56
ah, thank you i'll get it out now. ive been married nearly 2 months and have only managed to change my name on one bank account....lazy i know! this thread has made me get of my bum and start changing thing. x
29/01/2009 at 10:58
that's ok!
there's so much to change though isn't there!!! i've been married since sept and have just this week finished getting everything changed. the annoying thing i found was that loads of places wanted certified copies of our marriage certificate, and i begrudged paying a solicitor. ended up having to as we were told our bank would do it, but when we went in to ask, they said they've stopped doing it!!
you'll get it all done in the end hun!
xx
29/01/2009 at 13:57
I still havent changed my name on my driving licence, car or motorbike logbooks. I got married last April.
I have done my passport, bank accounts, insurances etc etc.
29/01/2009 at 14:05
Quoted:
that's ok!
there's so much to change though isn't there!!! i've been married since sept and have just this week finished getting everything changed. the annoying thing i found was that loads of places wanted certified copies of our marriage certificate, and i begrudged paying a solicitor. ended up having to as we were told our bank would do it, but when we went in to ask, they said they've stopped doing it!!
you'll get it all done in the end hun!
xx

mrsgrainger
i got a couple of extra copies of wedding cert from the register office £3.50 each they helped loads. why would you need a solicitor??
mrspeachypie
just remember to book holiday/flights in the same name as your passport!!

Sian x x x
30/01/2009 at 05:20
Z750 girl i would suggest sorting out your driving license asap as someone has mentioned about you can get fined upto £1000 for having the wrong details on there.

purplepunk, we only had one copy of our certificate from the registrar, and we don't live in the city we got married, so it's not easy for us to get there. the only other option was for us to get a solicitor to certify our certificate as we didn't want to send our original. only cost £5 for two copies but still i think it's madness all they did was photocopy and stamp it!!!
xxx
Your say
email image