General chat

Ideal age to marry?

1 to 12 of 12 posts

New bride

When should we get married?

Bridezilla

When you are sure you haven't inherited magical prophecy powers that will disappear upon no longer being a maiden 

New bride

Doris8 wrote (see post):

When should we get married?

I don’t think there is a set time everyone is different, to me it all depends on how you are as a couple and if you are financially independant/stable.

I feel like me and my partner are quite a young couple to get married I am 23 and he is 25, by the time we actually get married we would be 25 and 27. When we got engaged we already own a house and are financially stable and we are independant from others, so no one was really surprised when we got engaged! 

The other factor is if you’re BOTH ready to settle down, marriage is a life long commitment so I think both sides should never have any doubt about the marriage and the other person. Through a lot of wedding forums - I use this and weddingbee - I find alot of people are just getting married due to being pressured into it, which I find is a disaster waiting to happen!

Bridezilla

CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):
Sadieee wrote (see post):

When you are sure you haven't inherited magical prophecy powers that will disappear upon no longer being a maiden 

You are amazing, and this is the best response to anything ever. 

Thank you :D

Bridezilla

Thank you for this!  Sometimes a ridiculous question deserves a ridiculous reply.  

Bridezilla

KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

Thank you for this!  Sometimes a ridiculous question deserves a ridiculous reply.  

You're welcome haha 

Bridezilla

Brilliant. Absolutely bloody brilliant!

New bride

Every situation is different.. however I am 29 engaged and will be 30 when we marry and that seems like the perfect age for us because we had a lot of growing to do first. Also we had a house and dog first and have been together for 12 years.. but I can't tell you the amount of people I see getting engaged because the other person has threatened to break up with them :-/

New bride

For first offenders (in the sense neither of us have been married before) me and the other half are pretty senior :D 

I’m 38 and he’s 47. I’ve been engaged before (this is my fourth engagement ) but this time it feels different- like it really will happen (at least I hope it will!) 

I was 17 when I first got engaged and I know I was far too young then- so naive in fact that I couldn’t see what was under my nose and that he was cheating on me! I dumped him when I finished my A-Levels as I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle while I was trying to study. It was easier to ignore him 

I got engaged again when I was 21 I think. I loved him with all my heart and I always will but he loved the drink more. (i’ll leave it there) 

Third time was when I was 24- absolute Mummy’s boy and he dumped me because mummy couldn’t cope with losing both her baby boys to nasty older women (I was only a year and half older) and told him to dump me! Meh- lucky escape. 

To be honest I think having waited this long I feel more prepared. It’s not going to change much in our relationship I don’t think- we’ve been together for 12 years and lived together for 11.5 years so i doubt much will massively change! 

* Maire*  *99.9% sure I’m a Disney Princess* 

Mrs C to be- Got engaged 02/10/18 after 12 years together.

Wedding addict

I've been to weddings of 19 year-olds and I've been to weddings of 80 year-olds. I've known couples who have been married after a few months of dating and are still happily together, and couples who have dated for decades but divorced only a few years after marriage. I've been to low budget weddings of young people at the beginnings of their careers and big budget weddings of older people who have spent years saving up. There is no ideal, just the hand you've been given.

New bride

I was 20 when I got engaged and will be 22 by the time I tie the knot, personally I don't think I'm too young and no one else in my friends or family think so, if anything they were just waiting for the proposal!

I know it's cliché but when you know you know, I've found my soul mate and life partner so why wait for the inevitable? :)