Getting started

Surrey Wedding Summer 2019

1 to 19 of 19 posts

New bride

Hi all, 

Starting to plan my wedding to Mr Mc, here's our story...

How we met- Match.com, I actually thought I was replying to someone else. And I didn't look at his pic until after a few messages!

First date- Drinkies at local bar, so easy to chat too then he ran away (literally) at the end of the evening. I was really paranoid as I thought it had gone well. By the time I'd driven home he messaged saying sorry for having to run away as he was going to miss the last train home.

The Proposal- Last Saturday was the 3rd anniversary of our first date. He had organised a day out but it was a surprise. The Monday before my beloved Grandad passed away. Whilst we'd talked about 'our wedding' I was not expecting it to happen. The day before he told me I had to wear clothes that could get dirty, never a good sign!! On the way to the surprise I received messages from my family sharing stories about my Grandad trying not to be too emotional I was quiet, and he kept asking If I was OK. We arrived and we we're going on Segways! Something we'd talked about doing but not got around too. I was so nervous I got picked out to be guinea pig (or so I thought). So off we trundle and travel around some courses, trying to stay on the Segway. Then he stops turns around and drives toward me, I start panicking that he's going to crash into me. He then pulled out a ring box!! I was so shocked, I was shaking like a leaf and crying. He thought I was going to fall off!  At this point a guy flew over our heads on a zip wire shouting wahey. Made us both laugh. Not traditional way, but definitely his way.

Now to plan a wedding!

New bride

The Wedding plans- so far we've picked a church, he Catholic and we've found a lovely little church just outside Guildford.

We're looking online at venues but we have a lot of guests so within our budget it limits out choices. How many is a good number to look at?

I'm a bit confused at food costs for children, most hotels say it's half price for 3-12 year old then full price 12-18 year olds, but how can it be full price, they will be having none of the alcohol? Anyone got any experience of this? We've got quite a few kids and we're hoping at most they'd be half price.

Wedding addict

Do you definately want to get married in a hotel? There are lots of venues with no corkage and where you can bring your own caterers in which makes it cheaper? 

New bride

Hi Kitty, not necessarily we were just thinking it would be easier for us as our guests. 

New bride

BIG exciting news over the weekend!!

We visited a venue last week which we LOVED, unfortunately it's a bit pricey so we've decided to switch the wedding until next October rather than the summer as it's quite a bit cheaper. It's the only venue we've visited so we are going to look at a couple later this week just to make sure.

And today we've put a hold on 12th October 2019!!! Just need M&D to view it as they're contributing then we're going to book it!! It's also 10 days after my birthday. 

So it's going to be Surrey Vineyard Wedding in October 2019!!

Now to switch all my summer ideas to autumn ones! 

Bridezilla

Congratulation on your engagement, If the venues are offering price per head for packages offering say canapés, 3 course meal, 1/2 bottle of wine and drinks for toasting, I would definitely raise with them that you have a lot of teenagers who although eat an adults portion, don't drink, Hopefully they will be accommodating.

New bride

Visited the second venue on our short list yesterday,  and it made us love the first one even more!

It was a hotel just outside Guildford, generic, noisey and more expensive than the one we loved. 

So another off the list. Visiting the 3rd one tomorrow....

New bride

This weekend has been a big weekend of wedding planning as Mum has been up.

Venue - Reception 

As mentioned above we visited Denbies Wine Estate days after we got engaged and really loved it. We looked at the Hogs Back Hotel, and Guildford Holiday Inn, but neither can close in terms for look, feel and price. Yesterday took our Mum's around Denbies and they both loved it so we booked it!! I'm not fussed by chair covers or the price but FMIL really wants them so has offered to buy them!! We also tried the wine, and loved the white, as neither of us are wine drinkers we didn't think we'd like any of them.

Venue - Ceremony 

As we had our heart set on Denbies we were happy to book it even though we didn't have a church booked. We stopped by the local church after lunch and managed to meet the Priest. He was happy to book the church there and then, and agreed my Fiancé's Priest could do the ceremony.

Dress

As Mum was up we went to David's Bridal today to try on different styles as I had no preconceived idea of 'The Dress'. But I tried on a long one, then a short one, a couple more long ones before trying on a really cute short ballerina style dress. My mind was made up....short it is!! I never really wear long dresses anyhow. Right now I don't think either of the short ones are the one, but happy I've got my style. 

Decorations 

We're still on the fence for theme but we know we want lots of candles all around. The venue want them in jars which luckily I love anyhow. So popped into Poundworld and got 40 candles for £15!!!

Bridezilla

Sounds lovely, can't wait to hear more about your day :)

Cecilia x

My planning thread : http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/relaxed-summer-wedding-in-the-chilterns/454084.html

New bride

Been a busy coupe of weeks.

We attended our friends wedding in the Isle of Man and whilst on the ferry over I had a phone call saying I'd sold my flat!!! So we're now house hunting and wedding planning together. 

We have booked our photographer Emma Russell she was the first one we spoke to and she was just so calm. We spoke to a few other but she really felt like the right fit.

We have also booked out photobooth we saw it at a wedding fair a few weeks ago. It's an open booth with a flower backdrop.

I'm very excited about both of these, I just can't decide which flower backdrop to have.

But I'm also really disappointed with our venue decoration. When we've visited they've had drapes up in one of the rooms and seen photos of fairy lights on the conservatory roof. I enquired with the supplier the cost of them....The lights £1200 (there are a lot, but still crazy!!) The drapes (you had to reply saying what you wanted) on paper looked about £600 Ok I could live with that. Quote came back £200 installation and travel AND £200 vat and one wasn't listed in their brochure so.....£1200 for those too!! No way I can justify paying that. When we're only paying 9k for 140 guests 3 course meal drinks canapes and 170 people  evening food. 

Now l'm worried the room will look dull and bare.....Any suggestions? 

Bridezilla

Great you have your photographer sorted - that's a big thing ticked off,

Do you have to use certain suppliers from the venue? if not maybe you can get some more quotes for the lights and drapes?

There was a bride on here who bought single strings of lights which were battery operated and she was hoping to recreate a look she had seen that was expensive herself?

New bride

We don't have to use specific suppliers so I'm now looking elsewhere. 

A DJ we spoke to suggested lights instead of drapes so we're looking into that.

Unfortunately the conservatory lights can only be supplied by one company, so we're having a load of candles instead. 

New bride

It's nice to have a lot of suggestions for wedding plans

New bride

It's been a busy couple of weeks selling my flat and buying our first house house, but we've also got quite a bit of wedding items planned......

Colour Scheme -

This was initially hard to select. My favorite colour is dark purple, and my Fiance's is Teal. But 2 of my best friends get married 18 months ago and both had purple!! I'm a girlie girl at heart so decided on pink. But as the wedding is in October and I didn't want pastels so we're having Navy, hot pink, and gold and white accents. No one could understand my vision until I found some wrapping paper in Clintons, they all get it now......possibly because I have given everyone a square of the wrap!

Chair Covers, and decoration -

My FMIL really wanted to have chair covers, we were not bothered and saw it as an unnecessary expense, but she was adamant so has decided to pay for them. So we meet the supplier on Friday and we're having loose covers, with alternative Navy and Hot Pink satin sashes. We are also having matching navy swagging on the top table. The same supplier is also draping the garden room, including fairy lights and pink uplighters.

My Mum is really keen on some wedding DIY so she is also decorating 70odd jars with lace, ribbon, bows, buttons etc for candles to be in. We're hoping the weather will be good enough for some to be placed in the courtyard for the evening reception.

Grooms Transport -

The day after he proposed, I brought a Wedding Magazine and read to my fiance that you could have a wedding TukTuk. Having traveled a lot he was instantly in love with this idea. Luckily there is an operator near us. So yesterday we went to see the TukTuk, and he loved it even more in person, we booked it there and then!! They just have to check the route is suitable before they can confirm so fingers crossed. It will also be taking us back to the reception venue.

New bride

Centrepieces -

All of the centrepieces I looked at online and liked seemed to cost ALOT!! I loved blossom trees but at £60+ each for 14 tables, was just not sensible. But I saw online various bottles with candles and flowers in. I've spoken to the florist and they are happy to provide the flowers and set them up. So we're having gold bottles in various sizes, some with candles some with flowers, surrounded by rose petals and pink tea light holders and candles.

Name Placecards -

My fiance is a HUGE star wars fan, and I wanted to make sure we included his interests in the day. I saw on pintrest some holders for namecards that were stormtroopers, there were no instructions so today I have made some prototypes. These will not be cheap but I'm hoping any that are left we will be able to resell as a kit and make some money back.......I think the design needs a little tweaking, and hopefully we can find someone in the family who's writing is better than mine, or we'll go with the letter stickers.

Cake Table -

I make cakes for a paying hobby, my sister also makes cakes and one of my oldest friends is a michelin starred pasty chef. So a single cake isn't going to work for me. So we're having a 3 tier navy cake with gold leaf and large pink blooms, surrounded with cupcakes, Cookies, brownies, meringues, macaroons, marshmallows and probably more. I'm very excited about this and it's something MrMc gets no say in!!

New bride

The Tuk Tuk -

Prototype name cards

The centre pieces, but there will be candles included

Bridezilla

All looks fab!

We are also doing gold bottles and jars filled with flowers and candles - we have long tables so they will be along the centre on a navy lace table runner. Our colour scheme is navy, gold, coral, peach and a tiny bit of mint :) I have boxes and boxes of bottles and jars in my shed waiting to be sprayed!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

New bride

Haha!! we're moving soon so we haven't got any jars or bottles yet......all the family are collecting them for us though.