Hair & make-up

Skincare/Beauty Regime

1 to 20 of 21 posts

Wedding addict

what are your 'go to' beauty saviours? I'm rubbish with skincare, and my regime usually consists of a facewipe, but I've been using the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser and instant skin tonic since Xmas and it is AMAZING! I'm lucky that I have quite olive skin. It's not dark, but tans easily and doesn't break out. It Is quite greasy though, and I can have quite large pores, but since I've been using the cleanser it seems to be much more under control. 

Im considering starting monthly facials soon. Any recommendations? 

And finally, anyone found their holy grail foundation yet? I'm currently using Georgio Armani luminous silk and it is like magic when it goes on, but doesn't quite have the staying power I need with my oily skin. 

Bridezilla

I also suck at beauty regimes but am trying to get better. i use environ and have eye gel, avst 2 and a protective cream as well as an environ face wash. 

I use Jane iredale bb cream foundation and then her powder on top to set it. If I'm looking a bit oily I will refresh the powder or on nights out etc I will use a primer to help keep it at bay 

Bridezilla

Try using a primer with your foundation- Laura Mercier does a great matt one. Some primers can be really oily like the smashbox one so I'd avoid that one! Also a setting spray like Urban Decay all nighter is worth a go, they do an oil free one. For just day to day I really like Nivea moisturising primer- it's cheap and does a good job of both moisturising and keeping make up on.

Any facial will be beneficial but I like Elemis ones the best. Their products are just really nice. The only bad facial I've ever had was in a Bannatyne spa but they use their own products so you won't find them in most places.

I love the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser too, I need to stoo being lazy and use it more! I ditched face wipes in the last year and use a cleansing water with cotton wool instead, much nicer for your skin. Maybe subscribe to Birchbox or Glossybox so you can try out lots of different products?

~*My planning thread*~

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/planning-thread--summer-in-the-cotswolds-2017/418589.html

Bridezilla

I never had a skin routine before I got engaged! The ring definitely has girly powers. I use the Liz Earle hot cloth at night plus I have a load of estee lauder stuff - night serum, eye serum, day moisturiser, night moisturiser. It does make your skin much softer and looks healthier. 

I've bought some Avon glycolic acid pads, which are kind of like a cheap facial. Waiting for them to arrive before I deliver the verdict on whether they're worth the money or not.

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-barn-wedding---march-2017/431085.html

Wedding addict

So the hot cloth cleanser is pretty much renowned then? How have i never heard of it before, my brother bought me it! 

SammyKate, i have tried a couple of primers but i don't think i've found the right one of them yet either. I either feel like i'm smearing cement on my face, or i cant see any difference. I'll may give the Laura Mercier one a go :) 

Bridezilla

I felt the same as the only one I tried was the smashbox one and really didn't like it- it's like spreading a layer of silicone over your face, yuck! So I avoided them for years but there are much nicer ones. See if you can get yourself a sample of the laura mercier one as it's a little pricey to buy and try full size- I got a sample through birchbox :D

~*My planning thread*~

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/planning-thread--summer-in-the-cotswolds-2017/418589.html

Wedding addict

I love Nip and Fab. I've been using their glycolic acid cleanser which I think has made my skin much more clear and hydrated. I have the glycolic acid pads too, for day and night but to be honest I don't think they make much difference!

For me, it has meant taking my makeup off thoroughly at night, using a serum and moisturising morning and night and doing much more with my hair, intense conditioner and hot oils!

I agree the ring definitely has girly powers!

Wedding addict

I get oily skin too and find a primer and setting spray really helps, I use benefit porefessional primer (it fills in your pores so they are less noticeable) and urban decay setting spray. Holy grail foundation has to be estee Lauder double wear! I've tried so many and always come back to it, high coverage and fairly matte finish so no oiliness 

for skincare the best cleanser I have ever used is the Emma Hardie morninga cleansing balm, i haven't had a single spot since using it. I also moisturise morning and night , going to follow this thread though as I'd love to add more products in and make my skin look better

Bridezilla

I've just tried this little beauty...

My face has never felt as clean or soft. It cleared out my pores pretty well. You can see the mask drying and sticking to the pores and drawing the dirt out. If you're looking for a decent face mask I can highly recommend this one! Although it is pretty pricey at £39!

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-barn-wedding---march-2017/431085.html

Wedding addict

This thread is right up my street! 

Really want to try that glamglow mask - one of my skin issues is blocked pores on my nose & chin. And also the Emma Hardie cleanser I've heard good things about. 

Im 38 now and although my skins in pretty good condition I think I might start to use a retinol to keep wrinkles at bay a while longer! 

Also want Pai eye cream & a good lip moisturiser (I must have tried 25 and they never work). 

Havent found a foundation I love yet, I use bare minerals every day & prefer a natural look but want more coverage on my wedding day. Ive Considered doing a charlotte tilbury make over & to try & buy some of her products. 

Tips from me -

Been trying out mascaras & so far Bobby Brown smoky eyes is a clear winner, long voluminous lashes with minimal clumping

Apparently M&S do a version of the hot cloth cleanser which is a v good cheaper alternative to liz earle 

Maybelline eraser eye concealer is very good 

Cult beauty website has some amazing products - you will want everything

Definitely don't get a magnifying mirror for Christmas & spend 30 mins picking at yourself every night - I've caused a break out

Last thing I was wondering is what perfume will you wear? I'm looking for a new one to wear & remind me of the day  

Wedding addict

Cluelessbridetobe wrote (see post):

This thread is right up my street! 

Really want to try that glamglow mask - one of my skin issues is blocked pores on my nose & chin. And also the Emma Hardie cleanser I've heard good things about. 

Im 38 now and although my skins in pretty good condition I think I might start to use a retinol to keep wrinkles at bay a while longer! 

Also want Pai eye cream & a good lip moisturiser (I must have tried 25 and they never work). 

Havent found a foundation I love yet, I use bare minerals every day & prefer a natural look but want more coverage on my wedding day. Ive Considered doing a charlotte tilbury make over & to try & buy some of her products. 

Tips from me -

Been trying out mascaras & so far Bobby Brown smoky eyes is a clear winner, long voluminous lashes with minimal clumping

Apparently M&S do a version of the hot cloth cleanser which is a v good cheaper alternative to liz earle 

Maybelline eraser eye concealer is very good 

Cult beauty website has some amazing products - you will want everything

Definitely don't get a magnifying mirror for Christmas & spend 30 mins picking at yourself every night - I've caused a break out

Last thing I was wondering is what perfume will you wear? I'm looking for a new one to wear & remind me of the day  

Ooh some good tips on here, well on the thread in general, but I'm particularly intrigued by your comment about the M&S hot cloth cleanser! As the Liz Earle one is NOT cruelty free I won't be buying that, but I think I'll get the M&S one ordered up. I've just looked it up and its just £10.

Re perfume, lots of brides treat themselves to a Jo Malone perfume consultation for their wedding day. The appointment itself is free but I think they probably con you into buying a load of products, so be ready for that! They combine your favourite scents and make something up for you. 

Wedding addict

With regards to perfume, i think im just going to go with my favourite: 'In Love Again' by YSL. It came out years go when i was little, and my dad brought it me back when he went on a work trip to Germany. He then used to buy me it each Valentines Day until they discontinued it for about 10 years. It was reintroduced as part of the classics collection and it's now my special occasion perfume as its expensive! 

Wedding addict

Update on the Georgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation:

Tried with No7 primer, smashbox, GOSH, Laura Mercier, NYX and Lancome La Base, all with various degrees of success, but they're still no match for my oily skin. I can't get through a working day before its all slid off my face! 

The search for my holy grail foundation continues. Recommendations please! 

Wedding addict

Can I make a suggestion?

I also have very oily skin which nothing seems to work on blah blah blah. I just have to persevere with it, blotting throughout the day etc, but I have found a product in the last few days which honestly feels like it must be a miracle!

I am a huge Lush fan and got a gift set from future SIL for Christmas. One product in it was Magical Moringa. I thought it was just a facial moisturiser, which is what it's described as, but when I opened it it actually has a waxy consistency which melts when you rub it between your hands and then turns powdery when you put it on your face. I'm not kidding, my makeup is still in place after a 14 hour day and that is just unheard of for me! It's quite pricey, but go in and ask for a sample - mine is just a sample size and I've hardly made a dent in it. There are loads of reviews online as well if you don't believe me 

Wedding addict

MrsDee2B wrote (see post):

Can I make a suggestion?

I also have very oily skin which nothing seems to work on blah blah blah. I just have to persevere with it, blotting throughout the day etc, but I have found a product in the last few days which honestly feels like it must be a miracle!

I am a huge Lush fan and got a gift set from future SIL for Christmas. One product in it was Magical Moringa. I thought it was just a facial moisturiser, which is what it's described as, but when I opened it it actually has a waxy consistency which melts when you rub it between your hands and then turns powdery when you put it on your face. I'm not kidding, my makeup is still in place after a 14 hour day and that is just unheard of for me! It's quite pricey, but go in and ask for a sample - mine is just a sample size and I've hardly made a dent in it. There are loads of reviews online as well if you don't believe me 

SOLD! Will report back...

Wedding addict

I'm actually excited for you, how sad :D