Honeymoons

Anyone Honeymooning in New Zealand?

1 to 20 of 28 posts

Wedding addict

We've booked a mini moon to Mykonos for a few weeks after the wedding but as it's my 30th next year we're looking into a bigger 'real honyemoon' trip to New Zealand for February 2018. Is anyone else honeymooning in NZ and if so where are you going and what are you doing?

We're thinking of doing 2/3 weeks driving around the south island with swimming with dolphins / whale watching, hiking, wine tasting etc. We need to get a move on with the planning though as it's not far away!

Bridezilla

Hello, yep we are going to New Zealand soon!

We've got a week in the north island, a week in the South Island and then a few days in Sydney. A lot to fit in! 

On the north island we're flying into Auckland, staying there a couple of days and then going on to hot water beach, waitomo caves and Rotorua. In the caves we've got a tour booked where you go round on rubber rings and down a slide inside the cave. Looks mad but fun!

We are then flying from Rotorua to Christchurch, from where we will go on to Mount Cook, Wanaka and Queenstown and hopefully do a tour to Milford Sound.

Bridezilla

I am hoping when we ve saved enough to go.   Mainly south island hubby worked there and wants to show me his old haunts.  Want to see the cave worms on north island, the blue penguins and the southern lights. 

Flying premium economy via los Angeles its abit more extra but we need the leg room for hubby.  

Only going for 2 weeks because of work commitments.  

New bride

I am from New Zealand!! Let me know if there are any specific questions you have!

Wanaka and Queenstown are the best places to go, make sure you check out Arrowtown, it is very cute

Feb is def the best time to go but be prepared if the season changes within a few hours! The good thing about it being changeable is that if it starts raining it is likely to change to sun quickly again :D South Island is a lot more dry though than the North

Since you are staying in Auckland a few days, I recommend a short ferry ride to an island called Waiheke which has many wineries on it. Its beautiful because you have a mix of beach and wineries in one and is easy to get to from Auckland Town

Hot water beach is great but also crowded if its school holidays. If you are in that area you should also visit Catherdral Cove 

:)

Bridezilla

Hi, 

We're also going to New Zealand! 

We fly on 28th September. Starting in Auckland, seeing family and the heading south stopping off at Rotors, Taupo and Wellington. We're then getting the ferry over to Picton, stop off at Hammer Springs, then Tekapo, Queenstown, Wanaka and Christchurch where we will fly out to Sydney.

I've literally put hours and hours into research as it's quite a confusing place. It's not as easy to go A-B as it is here! 

In short, We're going on a glow worm kayak tour, thermal springs, stargazing, fly/cruise/kayak/fly (Milford sound), shot over jet boat, canyon swing and if there's still snow, skiing! 

New Zealand is such a great choice! 

You need loads of time in the South Island as everywhere is so far apart.The only thing I'm dreading is the flight, we will be travelling for 36 hours. Ouch!

Bridezilla

Hi emma

thats alot you are doing and it all sounds really exciting!  Pretty the places we will go to but we are abit old for all these exciting activities:).  

We plan to hire a car and drive round, as a science teacher its the nature i want, we are staying well away from built up areas and have no intention of seeing Auckland!  

we tried so hard to emigrate there but we are out of time. 

Bridezilla

Katherine66 wrote (see post):

Hi emma

thats alot you are doing and it all sounds really exciting!  Pretty the places we will go to but we are abit old for all these exciting activities:).  

We plan to hire a car and drive round, as a science teacher its the nature i want, we are staying well away from built up areas and have no intention of seeing Auckland!  

we tried so hard to emigrate there but we are out of time. 

Hi, it should be quite easy for you to stay away from built up areas, there appears to be barely any of them lol. 

We're looking for a mixture of adventure and nature - like flying to Milford sound. Scenic cruise, chilled out kayaking but the thrill of a lightweight aircraft.

We're lucky we've been able to take a lot of time off work (which I remind my colleagues of every day 😂).

Wedding addict

What kind of accommodation are you going for? I think we might do a mixture of just standard cheaper hotels for some of it but might try and book one or two more special hotels when we stay longer in queens town or  wanaka. Has anyone found any really great hotels to stay in the South Island?

Bridezilla

Jessica228 wrote (see post):

What kind of accommodation are you going for? I think we might do a mixture of just standard cheaper hotels for some of it but might try and book one or two more special hotels when we stay longer in queens town or  wanaka. Has anyone found any really great hotels to stay in the South Island?

We're staying with family in Auckland then We're picking up a campervan for 2 weeks. We just feel like the camper will give us a lot more freedom and is also a lot cheaper meaning we can spend money on more activities. 

We're looking for a decent hotel in Christchurch for our last night though.

Bridezilla

We're going quite soon too (4 weeks tomorrow!)

We're doing something quite similar to Lucykins but we're doing Melbourne and Sydney first then flying into Auckland. We're staying with family in Hamilton and doing Rotorua, Hot Water Beach, Cathedral Cove and Hobbiton (had to be done) before we fly into Christchurch. 

I absolutely had to see the Cardboard Cathedral while it's still there. We've booked Hotel 115 for while we're there as it was well positioned and looked lovely. From there we're hiring a car and driving to Mount Cook and Lake Pukaki, staying at The Hermitage but in their Motel deluxe units because we figured after being with family and in hotel rooms it'd be nice to have our own space for a few days. Hopefully get some time star gazing if the skies are clear. Going to drive back via Dunedin to fit in a little Whisky Distillery trip before we have our last couple of days on North Island.

Bridezilla

Were not not staying in any accommodation unless the weather goes horrid, we plan on hiring a subaru  4x4 and kipping in that. 

Bridezilla

H2b has finally Sat up and had a look at honeymoon planning (wish I'd never asked him lol) lots of "that looks nice, we'll go There's with the reply of "that will take 2 days to get to". Driving me insane lol.

So now we have a revised plan...

Auckland 2nts with family.

Rotorua 2nts (glow worms/thermal springs)

Taupo 1nt

Wellington 2nts (sightseeing and out for tea/drinks)

Ferry to Picton

Picton to ????? 1nt

Franz Josef Glacier 1nt (heli hike!!!!!!)

Wanaka 2nts (skiing)

Queenstown 3nts (jet boat, canyon swing, fly/cruise/kayak/fly Milford sound) also Arrowtown.

Tekapo 1nt (stargazing)

Christchurch 1nt camp 1nt hotel (see family)

Fly to Sydney for 2nts (no idea what to do!)

Dubai 4nts

Back in rubbish Newcastle!

Super excited writing this! Please all share your New Zealand plans! 5 weeks on Thursday for us!

Bridezilla

When I put together my itinerary, I ran it past the New Zealand TripAdvisor forum, and the people on there who know NZ really well gave me feedback on whether my plans were feasible and whether there were any better alternatives. So that was very useful!

With camper vans, I gather you can't park just anywhere and can get in trouble/fines for parking in the wrong place, so just something to be aware of. We are keen to see countryside rather than the city too, but the best flight option was to fly to Auckland and then we need a day to recover from the jet lag so I've booked 2 nights there after we arrive.

In Christchurch we are staying at a place called Southwark Apartments. I've chosen a mixture of nicer and more budget hotels, depending on how many nights we are staying somewhere. In Wanaka we have a YHA hostel but it had great reviews and an excellent location. In Sydney I booked a hotel but we might cancel it and stay with family.

I'd like to go to Milford Sound but the fly/cruise options seemed very expensive - have you booked yours already Emma?

Bridezilla

Definitely go to Hamner Springs - it's a great honeymoon day out! :) 

New bride

I'm considering combining New Zealand with Fiji trip in January! Prebooked some cheapish accommodation, though hard to find inexpensive accommodation really in this season.

Would concentrate on North Island with a long stay in north of South Island.

How's this?:

2 nights Auckland

2 nights Rotorua

1 night Taupo (worth it?)

2 nights Tororiro (not sure whether to do 1/2 nights here, or none at all i.e. just see it on long drive down to Wellington)

2-3 nights Wellington

10-12 nights in a cute cottage near Abel Tasman national park.

We'd be skipping Queenstown, which I don't feel too bad about tbh. Looks like Scotland and I used to live in the highlands. Milford Sound--surely beautiful but seen Norwegian Fjords and also fjords in Argentina, so not rushing down there for that.

Wedding addict

Has anyone been on their NZ honeymoon yet that can share any tips / pics? We really need to get a move on and book our flights and accommodation, we just want to do it all though! So hard to whittle down!

Bridezilla

We've got our flights booked to NZ with a layover  in Malaysia on the way back - Borneo, wooooooo! 

Wedding addict

We've finally booked our flights, acommodation and activities, so excited!! This is our itienerary:

Day 1 - Arrive in Christchurch, explore, recover from jet lag. Overnight

Day 2 - Drive to Hanmer Springs, spend the day at the thermal spa and pools, evening drive to Kaikoura

Day 3 - AM Dolphin Encounter, PM Whale Watching, Overnight in Kaikoua

Day 4 - Drive to Nelson, stopping of at Blenheim / Picton for a few hours each. Overnight in Nelson

Day 5 - Explore Abel Tasman National Park. Overight in Nelson

Day 6 - Drive towards Frans Josef stopping at Punakaiki and Hokitika. Overnight in Hokitika

Day 7 - FJ Glacier Heli Hike AM, Quad biking PM, Overnight in Franz Josef

Day 8 - Drive to Wanaka via matheson and Haast pass, overnight in Wanaka

Day 9 - Explore Wanaka area

Day 10 - More Wanaka, drive to Te Anau, Glow worm caves, Overnight.

Day 11 - Day trip to Milford Sound, Overnight in Te Anau

Day 12 - Drive to Manapouri, overnight Doubtful Sound Cruise

Day 13 - Drive to Queesnstown

Day 14 & 15 - Explore Qeenstown

Day 16 - Drive to Mount Cook (maybe drive part way night before), Hooker Valley Track. Overnight in Mt Cook

Day 17 - AM in Mount Cook, PM in Tekapo for Hot Springs & Stargazing. Overnight in Tekapo

Day 18 - Mount Sunday then on to Christchurch

Day 19 - Fly home from CH