Honeymoons

Hawaiian Honeymoon

1 to 4 of 4 posts

New bride

Hi everyone,

We would love to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We would like to spend 2 weeks there and island hop. Does anyone have any tips on where to go/stay, which islands to spend tim on for how long, who to fly with/ book with and how much we could expect to spend for 2 of us?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Bridezilla

Hi Lorena4 

I can’t comment on any of the other islands, but we spent a week on Maui as part of our honeymoon last month and I would highly recommend it!

We hired a car and drove around the island staying in different places, so not your usual one resort relaxation kind of thing - we were all about the activities! We went on a snorkelling trip, sunset dinner cruise, ziplining, hiking through a bamboo forest to waterfalls, going underground with just a torch into a lava tube, went to a luau, and of course sunbathing on the amazing beaches too  

The weather was great in October, glorious sunshine with only a couple of rain showers when we were in the rainforest-y area (and that was very welcome when we were hiking because of the humidity!). We missed the whale watching season though which is around December-March.

We budgeted £200 per night for our accommodation - remember to think about resort fees when booking, because they pretty much all have them and some of the hotels we stayed at hadn’t mentioned them beforehand! We didn’t stay in any of the really fancy hotels when we were there but still managed to get beautiful rooms and had rooms with ocean views for three of those nights. 

We booked everything ourselves through booking.com, but had went to Kuoni for a quote which was pretty reasonable. We only didn’t go with them because we wanted a more varied itinerary (1 night in each town Kind of thing) and they had certain hotels they wanted to sway you towards rather than us looking at everything ourselves.

good luck! 

New bride

Thank you, that's really helpful! You sound like me and my OH as we love the adventurous side and would want to do all those things!

Did you find it was expensive once you were there?

We looked at Kuoni as well but found the only focussed on the big high rise Hilton type hotels which I'm sure are lovely but we prefer a more relaxed intimate feel.

You said you only spent half of your honeymoon there...can I ask where you went after?

Lorena x

New bride

I used to live in Hawaii and can strongly recommend Oahu and Kauai!

If you go to Oahu, you can have the traditional tourist experience in Waikiki, go to Kualoa Ranch, where Jurassic Park was filmed, go to Turtle Bay up in the north to swim with the sea turtles, see Pearl Harbour and many more! Depending on the time of year you may be able to see some surf contests too! 

Kauai is just a beautiful island and is a great one to just sit back and relax, and is just a stunning island with a fair amount of things to do as well!

If you are interested in seeing volcanoes that are still active and climb up and see the lava, I highly recommend the Big Island! You can actually get a trip on a boat that goes around those volcanoes and see the lava from there too!