Honeymoons

Help us pick our minimoon

1 to 12 of 12 posts

Bridezilla

Because we are planning our wedding in Scotland from London, we used a lot of our holiday allowance on travelling back and forth. So we don't have enough days left this year for a honeymoon and have post poked it until April next year. Instead we are going on a week long minimoon straight after the wedding.

The original plan was to hike along Hadrian's wall. From Newcastle to C. This is definitely something we want to do at some point but I have started to worry it's not ideal for our minimoon. For one, I am not that fit at the moment and the longest day will require us to walk 15 miles in one stretch. I'm having nightmares of getting a blister in the middle of the hike and being stranded in the middle of no-where. I am also starting to regret the fact that I will be wearing a huge back-pack and getting all sweaty, on a holiday where ideally I want to feel as sexy as possible. Finally I am worried we will be abdolutely exhausted after the wedding. And the timeline rquires us to leave the next day. However I do think this would be a great way to bond. And it encompasses a lot of the things we love.

We have stumbled across an alternative option for our minimoon recently though. We both enjoy watching the tv-series Outlander. And I will actually be walking down the aisle to Skyboat, the theme tune. We have found a map with all the filming locations of the tv-series in Scotland. Lots of castles, quaint villages, nature. So we are now considering changing our minimoon to touring these locations by car.

Which one would you choose?

Bridezilla

Ultimately it does come down to what you guys want. Hiking is the kind of thing I have nightmares about and wake up in a cold sweat so obviously I wouldn't choose that one but it's not my honeymoon! X

Bridezilla

Nothing NOTHING can prepare you for how tired you'll be after the wedding. NOTHING. give yourselves a break and do the car tour, the wall isn't going anywhere. You'll be SO TIRED, I'm speaking from experience. 

You'll be tired. Don't know if I mentioned that?!

Bridezilla

Option 1 would be my idea of hell.

Oprion 2 sounds far more interesting and relaxing.

Love Outlander too 😍

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

New bride

I agree, I think hiking Hadrian’s Wall sounds pretty amazing but you’re gonna need a break after the wedding - I would go for the Outlander tour :)

Wedding addict

Yikes, 15 miles in a day is a long old walk... And this is from someone who is doing a bike tour of the Scottish islands for honeymoon straight after the wedding 😂  we are keeping to relatively short distances though and having a week in a cottage (with the car!). All things considered I'd prob go for the car tour but maybe you could incorporate some hiking and other activities too? 

Bridezilla

Haha. I think if I'd made this a pole it would have been 100% for option 2. Looks like I a replanning our minimoon.

MrsB2020 I think Outlander it is!

Julia101 Yes. I'll try to incorporate a little hiking. Perhaps we can visit part of the wall.

MrsCtoBee Love Outlander. History, Romance, hot men! Ha!

Kelly224 Yes. I think we might do the Wall hike at another point. Maybe our anniversary. Although I do hope to be pregnant by then. Do maybe not. Lol

Rach371 Did you say we would be tired after the wedding? ;)

Awhelenqt Haha. Some people's nightmare. Some people's dream. But maybe not this time 

Bridezilla

Haha I spent the two days after my first wedding like a zombie, it's an emotional rollercoaster getting married! This time around I've got a couple of days after to recover before going on our honeymoon, hopefully I'll be a bit more with it by then!

Bridezilla

Definitely the car tour! That way you’re not tied in to anything if you wake up one day and just fancy lying in bed doing nothing, you can choose to do that! Also, you’re getting married in October right? I’m guessing that means there’s a fair chance of it being cold and windy and wet (though I hope for your sake it isn’t!) and if you’re shattered from the wedding, will you really want to be hiking on a fixed schedule in those conditions? 15 Miles is a long walk even on a nice day! Personally I think the car tour sounds cute and gives you more flexibility to adjust what you see and do depending on how you feel any given day. 

Wedding addict

Ha! Me and the other half will be climbing Snowden and then Scafell for our mini-moon....starting to think we're a tad mad after reading these responses!  However, me and H2B are quite active and enjoy challenges together, its what we do as a couple. 

If you're having nightmares about Option 1 then I would not go ahead with it. The last thing you want is anxiety and worry on your mini-moon! 

Bridezilla

Another vote for #2. My OH and I used to be more active than we are now, but even then, I agree with you that being hot, sweaty, and generally very un-sexy is not the way I'd want to feel on my minimoon. I also second the other ladies and can vouch from personal experience that a wedding is exhausting. A 15-mile hike after a wedding -even a week after - does sound like hell.