Honeymoons

Honeymoon help!

1 to 20 of 26 posts

Bridezilla

So I am trying to think of possible honeymoon destinations but just keep coming back to the places we normally go on holiday and I would prefer to avoid them, would like something new/different!

We know we want to travel in July or August time,

Around 10 days

Budget of around £2500-£3500

We are not taking our daughter so prefer to not be surrounded by kids

I like a sandy beach and he likes good entertainment (even if it's the cheesy sort lol)

Trying to avoid greece, greek islands, anywhere in that area (aka Cyprus, Corfu etc), The canary islands etc as an example of where we usually go.

Any suggestions would be great!

Bridezilla

Have you thought about Italy? Really romantic and great food. Most of Italy doesn't have great beaches (although the beautiful scenery makes up for it imo) but Sicily has some lovely ones.

Your budget would also stretch to somewhere that's a bit different like Cabo Verde/Cape Verde which is more of an escapist/off the beaten track type of holiday with some lovely beaches.

Bridezilla

Caribbean? Your budget would stretch to it and the weather should be good in August.

Bridezilla

Thank you for the ideas! I will have a look :) I like the Italy idea!

I hadn't looked st Caribbean as assumed it would be out of budget but good to know it may not be!

Bridezilla

I'd also recommend Italy - Sorrento/The Amalfi Coast is incredible!

Bridezilla

That's rainy season in the Caribbean. I also think you'd like Italy!

Bridezilla

Mexico? Or Caribbean. It is rainy season but in my experience, the rain tends to come in the afternoon and literally chuck it down for 10 mins, then go again. And during that time it stays hot, so you/your stuff dries off almost straight away.

The rain is quite hard and I found it quite exciting. We stayed in the pool when it happened and it was actually quite enjoyable/funny! Plus, for the 7 days we were there, it only happened on two days, the rest were blue skies and the temperature is always lush. Basically, I wouldn't let it put you off!

Bridezilla

Thanks everyone! Currently looking at Italy and also investigating caribbean and mexico :)

Bridezilla

July and August but not surrounded by kids can be a little difficult!

Have you ever considered cruising? It's honestly not just for old rich people anymore, my husband and I love it! The food, entertainment and variety can't be beaten. There are some adult only ships (P&O has one), or the higher end you go the less kids there will be. We love Norwegian Cruise Line but they are quite kid friendly. For a more adult atmosphere I'd look at Celebrity or Princess. We are doing an MSC cruise in April that stops in Italy, Spain, Malta and France. 

Wedding addict

We have booked our honeymoon for next July/August and doing Italy. We are doing Rome and then onto Amalfi Coast as we can do all the trips we like from here. We are doing 15 nights but you can do as long as you like.  What we liked was the the short flight and no jet lag. We did it all through a travel  agents and it includes private transfers and the train from Rome.xx 

Bridezilla

I second cruising! My husband and I also love it for all the reasons Sammy said. I completely agree also that the range of people on the boat is a lot wider than you might expect. We have just booked our next one (will be number 5) which goes to Spain, Italy, France and Sicily.

We have been on Thomson and Norwegian cruises. Thomson is the company we keep going back to as it is all tips included which we prefer - the other lines you just have to keep the tips and charges that you will have at the end of the cruise in mind when setting your budget. However, since our cruise with them, Norwegian Cruise Lines have introduced an all inclusive option which I guess (but don't know for sure) negates all those extra charges at the end. 

For my info - Sammy I guess you went AI with NCL for your honeymoon - what was/wasn't included in the AI package? 

Bridezilla

Sandals resorts have a special offer on at the moment..... and guaranteed child-free!

Bridezilla

Caye Caulker in Belize. It's stunningly beautiful and well within budget. You can get a boat ride to the mainland and Ambergris Caye for a bit of variety too and there's a host of day trips and activities you could take. X

Bridezilla

Funny you should mention cruises! I have done one before but h2b hasn't. Found one that is all inclusive and tips included for 7 days followed by a 3 day hotel stay also all inclusive. It is focused on Greece but it's only hits the places we have never been, so going to keep looking at cruises as well, thanks! :)

Bridezilla

Jenni8 wrote (see post):

I second cruising! My husband and I also love it for all the reasons Sammy said. I completely agree also that the range of people on the boat is a lot wider than you might expect. We have just booked our next one (will be number 5) which goes to Spain, Italy, France and Sicily.

We have been on Thomson and Norwegian cruises. Thomson is the company we keep going back to as it is all tips included which we prefer - the other lines you just have to keep the tips and charges that you will have at the end of the cruise in mind when setting your budget. However, since our cruise with them, Norwegian Cruise Lines have introduced an all inclusive option which I guess (but don't know for sure) negates all those extra charges at the end. 

For my info - Sammy I guess you went AI with NCL for your honeymoon - what was/wasn't included in the AI package? 

Your next cruise sounds very similar to ours, we go from Sicily! Is it Thomson? We booked our honeymoon cruise before NCL brought in Premium AI- I don't think it makes much difference on the price but it is nice to know everything is included. We did get the drinks package for free anyway, which was most cocktails, wines etc- not that we drank much! But it was nice to just get a drink if we wanted it and not worry on price. There would still be a few things not included with the AI like drinks over $15, gelato, speciality dining etc. And I think fancy coffee is only included in restaurants, not at bars. They like to make it complicated!

Saideee I'd really love to do a Greek cruise! Would be lovely to hit all the different islands

Bridezilla

Sammykate wrote (see post):
Saideee I'd really love to do a Greek cruise! Would be lovely to hit all the different islands

The one I did went from Majorca and we did Italy, spain, france, tunisia and a couple others (It was 7 years ago so cant remember well lol). My ex worked on a P&O ship so me and a family member joined him onboard for a week.

I am going to show H2B the cruise I found, it's through TUI/Thomson, and see what he thinks (and look at others as well). I am quite impressed this one doesn't go to any I have been to before, so still makes it interesting for me :)

New bride

Cancun/Playa Del Carmen in Mexico! You could get a really nice adult only all inclusive hotel for your budget and there's a great mix of beautiful beaches, culture, bars/entertainment and amazing excursions! Google 'Xel-Ha' as a reference point for one of the places you can go for the day.

Bridezilla

If you're looking at Caribbean (definitely not out of your price range!) we did a 5* all incl. holiday to Jamaica last year (on your budget) and opted for one of the adults-only hotels. It was absolutely amazing! We went end of June/ start of July and i never rained once, the temp was around 31-35 daily! Jamaica has so many amazing activities and things to see and do - with equally amazing beaches! :) 

google 'glistening waters jamaica' and/or ricks cafe if you need any more convincing!! :) x

Bridezilla

CFW wrote (see post):

If you're looking at Caribbean (definitely not out of your price range!) we did a 5* all incl. holiday to Jamaica last year (on your budget) and opted for one of the adults-only hotels. It was absolutely amazing! We went end of June/ start of July and i never rained once, the temp was around 31-35 daily! Jamaica has so many amazing activities and things to see and do - with equally amazing beaches! :) 

google 'glistening waters jamaica' and/or ricks cafe if you need any more convincing!! :) x

Hi! Can I ask who you booked through? Thanks! :)

Bridezilla

Sammykate wrote (see post):

Your next cruise sounds very similar to ours, we go from Sicily! Is it Thomson? We booked our honeymoon cruise before NCL brought in Premium AI- I don't think it makes much difference on the price but it is nice to know everything is included. We did get the drinks package for free anyway, which was most cocktails, wines etc- not that we drank much! But it was nice to just get a drink if we wanted it and not worry on price. There would still be a few things not included with the AI like drinks over $15, gelato, speciality dining etc. And I think fancy coffee is only included in restaurants, not at bars. They like to make it complicated!

Oh Sammy that sounds painfully and unnecessarily complicated. Why cant they just do it one way or the other, AI, or not AI. Maybe a bit of a too good to be true marketing ploy. Did you get the drinks package free as it was your honeymoon? Yes our next one is Thomson - it is on their new ship which is being finished in May I think and also on their new "AI" package - I'll let you know what Thomson's version of ALL inclusive means when we get back haha! Yes it is quite similar to yours actually - I was so tempted to book our one when you told me about it - is it the amazing price you found the a new MSC ship? 

Sadieee we are going to Dominican Republic in Jan to an "ultra-all-inclusive" adults only hotel, which belongs to the same chain of hotels we stayed in in Mexico, called Secrets resorts. I would 100% recommend it. Our 7 night stay in Jan cost £1300 each including flights. We booked this through Tropical Sky.