Honeymoons

Honeymoons and Zika Virus

1 to 5 of 5 posts

Wedding addict

Hi everyone,

H2B is really keen to honeymoon in Cuba. We get married in Cyprus in may next year so were thinking between March-May 2019 depending on when we can get annual leave together. The only thing that is worrying me is that we plan to TTC in 2019 and ive read that if youve been to a country with the zika virus you shouldnt TTC for 6 months after youve been in the country. Has anyone had this affect honeymoons? I would rather put off going to cuba if it means we cant TTC until late 2019 but weve had cuba in our minds for years as honeymoon destination so im a bit torn. 

If Cuba is ruled out then does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative? 

My Big Fat Cypriot Wedding 

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-big-fat-cypriot-wedding/438556.html

Bridezilla

2019 is a long way away. Advice on where to go could change a lot between now & then. 

Zika free destinations at the moment include Mauritius, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Hawaii, Seychelles, Tahiti, Australia & New Zealand so plenty of amazing destinations to choose from if you're set on TTC as soon as possible. xx

Wedding addict

Hi Aimee,

We went to Bali in 2016 and they had Zika 3 months prior to us going and there were signs about Zika, we wanted to conceive then but had to hold off for 6 months which had left us.with a short window to TTC before wedding so now we are left having to wait as I don't want to be a pregnant bride and i didn't fall pregnant in my short window. Honestly if its something you want, the honey moon can wait or go else where and go to that destination another time. Its not worth it. 

also when we returned from Bali, I tried so many places, GP, hospital, tropical disease unit, family planning clinics to see if anyone could test us for zika but they all said the test is expensive and they only do it in severe cases so we just had to wait it out or risk it and have a baby but the idea of having a child that I am choosing to have potentially with zika was not worth the risk if you have the choice.

My H2B and I had a very upsetting week where I had to say we need to forget about it because of the wedding. Its not even the right word to say we are gutted! I keep toying with the idea shall we just concieve but then I fight with i don't want a month old baby at my wedding to worry about or be a big bride or even if my dress wont fit me etc.

xx

Bridezilla

My doctor advised not trying to conceive for 18 months. The six month period is just for the woman, if the man travels to the Zika infected country it can stay in their system for 18 months. 

We're avoiding Zika infected countries for that reason