Honeymoons

How much to spend on honeymoon?

41 to 42 of 42 posts

New bride

Trouble and Strife wrote (see post):

If its just the guilt factor and you can afford it then I would say just go for it. You only get to do this once and if youre travelling all that way....

Our honeymoon consisted of a weeks camping in Cornwall with the children -cost us about £500! We had a massive change in finances just before the wedding and it was all we could afford. We had a good time, but it wasnt what I would class as a honeymoon. We are going to do something nice for our 5th anniversary though :)

We went to the Maldives pre-children and stayed in a bungalow over the water, I loved it. Its where I realised that he was the one. I hope to get back there one day but youre right in the fact that theres not much to do unless you love diving and snorkelling...or just lazing around in the sun. I would go for whatever you want, accept its a lot of money that youre spending and just enjoy it :)

Also if you want to justify it, remember that most people spend on average £12k on their wedding and £3-10k on their honeymoon. Even if you splurge you should be within that budget of the two combined 

That's reassuring--I figured weddings must cost a lot--the rings, the dress, the suit, the venue, food, cake, photographer, invitations, wedding planner etc... Quite glad to have not had to put any thought into all that. Think we'll end up spending just over £10k for our honeymoon.

After some thought pretty decided on Kenya + the Seychelles or Mauritius.

New Zealand looks pretty, but as previously mentioned the accommodation is too dated for the price and my husband's not up to driving a camper van. We might go back some day for a longer airbnb stay. Fiji just didn't seem like good value--Liku Liku lagoon ticked all my boxes (beautiful lagoon, private resort, good food, nice rooms) but it also cost £900 a night! For that I'd rather be doing something more 'once-in-a-lifetime', like a safari.

Now just to decide on the safari and whether to go to the Seychelles or Mauritius. Seychelles looks more beautiful, but my husband thinks Mauritius looks more exciting. Hotels seem up to a higher standard in Mauritius too. One hour further from Kenya, though. Hard choice.

New bride

Trouble and Strife wrote (see post):

If its just the guilt factor and you can afford it then I would say just go for it. You only get to do this once and if youre travelling all that way....

Our honeymoon consisted of a weeks camping in Cornwall with the children -cost us about £500! We had a massive change in finances just before the wedding and it was all we could afford. We had a good time, but it wasnt what I would class as a honeymoon. We are going to do something nice for our 5th anniversary though :)

We went to the Maldives pre-children and stayed in a bungalow over the water, I loved it. Its where I realised that he was the one. I hope to get back there one day but youre right in the fact that theres not much to do unless you love diving and snorkelling...or just lazing around in the sun. I would go for whatever you want, accept its a lot of money that youre spending and just enjoy it :)

Also if you want to justify it, remember that most people spend on average £12k on their wedding and £3-10k on their honeymoon. Even if you splurge you should be within that budget of the two combined 

PS, Cornwall actually sounds nice! My husband is not from the UK and said he thinks the beaches in Cornwall look nicer than any I've shown him in the Seychelles. I think some are really beautiful, like the ones near St. Ives. Camping is more romantic than staying in a hotel anyway, that's for certain.

Nice to have something to be exciter for re your 5th year anniversary holiday!