Newlyweds

OUR HOMESPUN, DIY EVERYTHING, SUPER TEENY BUDGET, LOVE AND LAUGHTER FILLED WEDDING REPORT!

1 to 20 of 180 posts

Bridezilla

After reading so many amazing wedding reports on here over the last year I thought it time to write my own, this might be word and photo heavy so please stop me if it is boring x x

The Early Years

Dan and I met just over ten years ago in 2000, I say met I actually spied him from my school bus, he went to the rival school in the town(the posh one)except he didn't look like the rest of the school kids in the posh blazers and shiny soes, he looked like a teenage grunge band member, and I was smitten.

Word got a round that he liked me and we passed messages back and forth through mutual friends on the school bus. Within a couple of weeks we were together and completley inseparable.

The first time I met his parents he introduced me as his future wife and the first time my dad saw him he said 'your not going to marry him are you'. Possibly didn't help that it was on a non school uniform day and dan was dressed like a kurt cobain reject.

The Proposal

By 2003 I was eighteen and Dan was twenty, we were living in a rented flat in lincoln, it was here that Dan proposed. I had no idea this was coming, we had booked our holiday to New York for that christmas in two weeks time and that was all I was thinking about.

Sat in our lounge watching Eastenders, he gets up to go to the toilet, I thought nothing of it until he came back and sat on the floor in front of me

me....why are you being weird?

Dan....stop watching the tv and look at me for a second, I am trying ask you to marry me

I finally take my eyes away from the tv and look down at dan holding my beautiful sparkling ring with a huge grin across his face, and I think I stopped breathing.

Ridiculously happy and smiling like an idiot I of course exepted his proposal. He had planned to do it New York while we were there but was too scared of loosing the ring or me seeing it, so there it was in our crummy little flat watching tele and I couldn't of been any happier.

Bridezilla

The next few years were amazing we had no wedding plans but were just getting on with life happy to be engaged but that was all.

In 2008 I gave up my full time job to go back to uni and study for my degree, I loved my job a lot and becoming a student and giving up regular pay was a huge adjustment.
Late that year our landlord had nearly doubled our rent and we knew we would have to move in a wirlwind of three weeks Dan had bought our first home.

A month later we were at a relatives wedding and on the way home dan said are wever going to get married? we had been together nine years but had been so busy growing up and having fun that we just never really felt the need to.

Yeh ok then was my answer, next year for our ten year anniversary we will do it!

Like a lot of people I know I had never actually imagined my wedding day and had zero clue about where to start.

I went to the supermarket and bout five wedding magazines, talk about pricey.

After two hours of flicking through the magazines the thought of a wedding scared the life out of me.
My brain hurt from the hundred parts of the day I would have to think about and organise.

Then I came across the budget section and read the words 'the average uk wedding costs twenty two thousand pounds' great we can't do it I told Dan we'll never have that money, Dan said that not all weddings have to cost that much! how did he know this he's a boy.

Well he was right after a quick google search I stumbled across, style me pretty and rock n roll bride and I was finally in wedding heaven. Budget weddings that looked stylish and creative.....wedding ideas I could finally relate too.

We chose the date 14th of august although our ten year anniversary would be in the april we wanted a summer wedding.
The only thing about the wedding I allways knew I wanted was to be married in the church my parents were married in.

My mum died in an accident when I was two years old and I felt getting married in the church would be a way to feel like she was there on the day itself, odd thought I know but I liked it.
We contacted the warden for the church and he informed us that it would be absolutly fine to marry there he remebered my mum and grandparents that lived next to the church and was delighted we had chosen it as no one had been married there for over ten years.

Bridezilla

Inside the Church, and our first kiss as husband and wife!

Bridezilla

Reception on a Farm

So we had our teeny church booked but nothing for our reception, hmmm not really the hotel type when I'm not in uni I work at farm shop on a farm, and ride shire horses for fun, I walk my dog for miles most days and in the summer I like to eat breakfast in the garden, not to mention festivals every year for ten years, being indoors isn't my thing.

So we were stumped, until said farm that I work at part time very kindly said we could have it there, well we ddin't ask she offered infact neither of us thought about the farm which belongs to Emma, Dans sister in Laws side of the family.

So after checking with her to make sure that was ok and her words being 'of course do whatever you like' those six words sounded amzing, 'do what you like', excellent what could be better a cute garden on a farm with tons of parking and no neighbours for ten miles, Polly an Steve were amzing and we couldn't than them enough.

So from there the plans grew, vintage garden party, rustic farm, mini festival...I was seriuosly becoming obsessed with this wedding stuff.

Wedding addict

Beautiful so far, I love your dress, your photos are amazing too.

I can't believe no one has been married at that church for 10 years, it's lovely!

Keep it coming!!!

Wedding addict

So lovely so far...I want to read more!!!!

Bridezilla

More please! Love it!

Bridezilla

Moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Bridezilla

Can't wait for the next part!

Bridezilla

Moooooorrrrreeeeee pls loving it

Bridezilla

mmmmmmmmore! xxxxx

Bridezilla

I've even shed a little tear at your church story! Keep going! xxx

Bridezilla

Ahhh!!! More, more please, the pics look amazing can't wait to read on!!!
XXX

Bridezilla

MMMORE!!!

Bridezilla

Yes i agree more please!! x

Wedding addict

More more, with more more more pics, pretty please

Bridezilla

So far it looks lovely! Can't wait for the rest! x

Bridezilla

Peoples Reactions

So we had our Church and we had our Reception venue on a farm, and now we faced a ton of questions.

Our friends completley understood were we were coming from but alot of the family didn't, they looked at us like we were a little crazy and didn't seem to get that you can do weddings on home turf.

We battled for a while trying to explain that it was just the way we wanted it, informal and outdoors and very 'us'. No one was rude about it but we could tell they thought it wasn't going to work.

A reaction from my Nan .... 'will we be sat with the pigs' errr no it is a fruit and veg farm there are no pigs!

Just to mention that our budget was £3,000

Our next step was to try and lock some things down other than booking the church we needed some important stuff or this wouldn't feel like it was going to happen. We knew the farm had a huge games room seperate from the house which we would use for the bar and food. But we needed a marquee for dancing and a band.

So the marquee was a serious first task and one that I really wanted to give up on until I stubled on this style on a website....the Capri marquee.

Perfect exactly what we wanted a marquee that felt like it wasnt a closed room. The first company we spoke to wanted over half a budget for one of these, and I quickly lost hope in fiding one. Much more searching later and an excited telephone call to another company and we got exactly the same as the first guy was renting but for five hundred pounds....bargain and booked.

Bridezilla

Beautiful Bridesmaids

Choosing my bridesmaids was easy peasy I was having four, no questions about it.

Natalie - Chief Bridesmaid, she has been my best friend for ten years and she is the most amzing friend a girl could ask for I knew I couldn't ask anyone else.

Millie - my sister, a given shes amazing and theres no way she wouldn't be a bridesmaid.

Tash - my little sister, funny and ace obviously she was a bridesmaid.

Alex - my friend I met eight years ago at college and love her to bits.

So I was excited, they were excited....dresses!

For a while the dresses were a major issue and not just for budget I didn't want to ask them to pay for their own but didn't have a lot of money either.

I didn't want the dresses to scream look at me i'm a bridesmaid and obviuosly wanted them all to look lovely, I was starting to think that they made bridesmaid dresses truly awful so the bride looks better.

Taupe, Mink, Cream, perfect they would be the coulours and all non matching! cue strange looks from the family again.

There was no way I was going to try and put them all in the same dress, theyre all so different and as we found out later on my sister Millie was having a baby due three months before the big day.

So of we went nine hours in meadowhall later and the girls had got there dresses and we managed to get them all for just under three hundred pounds and they all bought there own pretty shoes.

left to right - Alex, Millie, Tash, Chief Nat