Planning

Can this type of dress be altered?

1 to 9 of 9 posts

Bridezilla

Hi everyone.

So my latest worry is that my dress won't be able to be altered. I need it taking in a lot at the bust, waist and hips but I recently read that it is very hard to do this if your dress has a lot of lace/embroidery detail on it, and mine is covered in it! 

does anyone know if this is true? I've attached photos (sorry I think they are the wrong way up but not sure how to rotate them on here!)

did anyone else feel unsure about their dress before it was altered? I can see I'll love mine once alterations are done, but its too big on me at the moment so makes me look double the size I am! 

Bridezilla

My dress was a lace dress (Pronovias Basico) and I had a lot of alterations. The seamstress takes it in from the seams so it should be absolutely fine. The seamstress basically takes the dress apart and puts it back together again. 

I too had huge doubts about my dress before it fitted. I bought a sample in a Size 12 and had it taken in to a Size 8 - once your dress is in your size you'll feel totally different about it! I had a lot of work done on my dress but it was worth it as it was perfect on the day x

Bridezilla

My dress was lace with an illusion neckline and it was fine being altered- I had it taken from a size 12 to 8/10. If you find a good seamstress they shouldn't have a reason to struggle with it.

Bridezilla

Of course a qualified seamstress' opinion is the best one to get - but I don't see any reason why this dress couldn't be taken in.  Taking a dress in is never as difficult as letting one out; often times, especially on fine garments, the seams inside are very small and there just isn't the fabric available to "make more room." But there's absolutely no reason I can see why a good seamstress couldn't take this dress in for you.

Bridezilla

Thank you everyone for the reassurance! I have sent a picture to my seamstress and she said she "thinks it should be ok" - so fingers crossed but that doesn't sound 100% certain to me! I think I'll take the dress over to her at the weekend so she can tell me for sure. 

my logic tells me that tonnes of brides have lots of lace on their dresses and surely most people have alterations x

Bridezilla

MrsE2016 wrote (see post):

My dress was a lace dress (Pronovias Basico) and I had a lot of alterations. The seamstress takes it in from the seams so it should be absolutely fine. The seamstress basically takes the dress apart and puts it back together again. 

I too had huge doubts about my dress before it fitted. I bought a sample in a Size 12 and had it taken in to a Size 8 - once your dress is in your size you'll feel totally different about it! I had a lot of work done on my dress but it was worth it as it was perfect on the day x

Hi MrsE ,

Its so reassuring to find someone else who doubted their dress before it fitted. Mine is a size 10 but I need it taking in to a size 6/8 - at the moment it is gaping around the boobs and there is a lot of room around the waist so it is making me look double my size, which in turn is making me dislike the dress and feel fat! When I pull it in I love it though so fingers crossed it will be fine

Just google imaged your dress - how gorgeous! I love the lace sleeves. And looks like yours had a lot of lace on the front too x

Bridezilla

My dress was very similar to yours (Maggie stokers Arlyn), covered in lace and it wasn't a problem. I had it taken from a 8 to a 4 around the waist and bust it looked fantastic after alterations, no problems at all. Like MrsE said they take it from the seams. Your dress is beautiful by the way.

New bride

My dress is also similar and needed alterations. Absolutely fine but as others say use a good seamstress and leave enough time. Cost to alter mine about 200 (Edinburgh) i 'reckon this would be way less with a simple unbeaded dress. Best of luck bet you will look gorgeous.