Planning

Etiquette: Do you invite the Vicar to your reception?

1 to 13 of 13 posts

Wedding addict

I read in a planning book and then saw in another bride's post that you are expected to invite the officiating minister to your reception. I haven't invited him but now I'm wondering if I should have or whether it's just appropriate to invite them to join you for a drink before the wedding meal. Anyone else know the answer?
We get married in 4 weeks!

Wedding addict

I read in a planning book and then saw in another bride's post that you are expected to invite the officiating minister to your reception. I haven't invited him but now I'm wondering if I should have or whether it's just appropriate to invite them to join you for a drink before the wedding meal. Anyone else know the answer?
We get married in 4 weeks!

Bridezilla

We invited ours and his wife to our evening reception. But we attend the church anyway so we know them. Think its each to their own.
xx

Bridezilla

I'd like to know the answer to this too. Our vicar and his wife are lovely people. but don't know what to do. I know my sister invited her priest, but he declined, think he had a funeral later in the day!

Wedding addict

I go to Chuch once or twice a month but don't feel I know them that well. I just don't want to cause offence or misunderstanding. I was thinking of just saying, "I do hope you'll join us for a celebratory drink after the service" and leave it at that.

Bridezilla

Like I say we just gave them an evening invite, then they could come for a few hours. And they were so grateful and appreciative.
xx

Bridezilla

Ours has a all day invite I believe that ours will come for the meal stay for the first dances then disappear.

Bridezilla

Years ago, yes it was traditional to invite the vicar but back then more people knew their vicars!

Nowadays, I think it really depends on how well you know the vicar. If you attend the church regularly then I think it's only polite to invite them to the reception drinks.

I have a family member who's a vicar and to be honest if he gets invited to the do of anyone he's marrying, he only really goes if either of the bride and groom are members of the congregation, otherwise he feels he's intruding. Plus it can be awkward being at a do and not knowing anybody there. And on top of that, Saturday is still a working day for a vicar, so he often has other services that day or other duties to do - hospital visits etc...

Bridezilla

We will be inviting our priest to the wedding reception. We don't really know him that well, but thought it right to invite him. He did say that it's unlikely to be able to come as he will have other weddings after mine. At least I did my bit

Bridezilla

Just found this post... not sure what the right thing to do is on this one, anyone got any advise?!

Bridezilla

Mikid - traditionally you would invite the minister to the wedding breakfast. A lot of them will decline because they do weddings every weekend (and some maybe two a day) and just cant possibly have a wedding breakfast each week! x

Bridezilla

My dad is a minister and is always always invited. He goes to most but not all (mind you he only does one a month max) and my mum is usually invited too but she only goes if she knows the couple. Also he is usually asked to sit at top table but usually he'd rather not, esp if my mum is there then he wants to sit with her. Hope that helps!

Btw, my dad is walking me up the aisle so not doing my wedding, my minister from church that I went to since I was young is doing it and I'm inviting him and his wife but they won't be at top table. They are like family friends though so I would have invited them anyway, but I know he'd rather not be at top table and frankly don't have room for him!

Bridezilla

I think that's why i'm struggling... we're not getting married in our parish and although our vicar is lovely, we've only met him a handful of times... I'll speak to him at Sunday's service and see whether he'd like to come!
Thank you x