Planning

H2B plan honeymoon? Good idea or not?

1 to 13 of 13 posts

New bride

Hi ladies, I'm looking for some opinions on our honeymoon planning please.  H2B has said he quite likes the idea of planning all of the honeymoon himself as a surprise for me.  I love to plan and am looking forward to planning the rest of our wedding so much, so letting go of the honeymoon would be really hard for me but I think it may be a really sweet idea and I'm pretty sure he would do a good job. However, when I read all your lovely planning threads there are loads of fantastic Kuoni experiences with bubbles and excitement, and even without a travel agent "experience" everyone is super excited and looking forward to their trip.  So, what does everyone think - would I miss out by not being involved in this planning step?

Bridezilla

I think it's really sweet that he wants to. What about a halfway house where he plans it all but before he books, he shows you and tweak the itinerary together. Then you make a big thing out of going to book it together. I would love my OH to want to do this, although like you, I would probably find it really difficult. I spend hours researching every holiday we go on and all he does is turn up. When I suggested him doing the honeymoon the response was something like 'I can but it wont be as good as what you can plan and will probably cost more.'  I'll do it then... 

Bridezilla

I think its a lovely idea, women can be pretty controlling when it comes to planning and decisions, but then moan when their other half doesnt show an interest 😂 I say go for it, youve got nothing to lose really, unless you already have your heart set on a particular location or something?

Itll still be exciting, even more so I think, but I like surprises.

Bridezilla

I think this is a wonderful idea too and a lovely way for your H2B to have a bit more involvement in the wedding planning. 

What springs to mind to me, if you still want the experience, is to perhaps go honeymoon shopping together, research a few options and then leave him to make the final decision. That way, you won't be missing out and at least know your options to get excited about! x

Bridezilla

I'd love my h2b to plan a surprise honeymoon. It will never happen though. I'm generally left to sort out the holidays and anything else that requires lots of research. I've planned all of our honeymoon. The only input my h2b had was asking 'can we go to Cape Town?' and I went from there.

As some of the other ladies have said, bounce a few ideas around together so he know what kind of things you'd like and leave the rest to him. Us ladies don't get many surprises when it comes to wedding planning so make the most of it!

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-barn-wedding---march-2017/431085.html

Bridezilla

My H2B is planning our mini moon and honeymoon, he's not going to tell me where we're going until we check in 😊 he did want to try and keep it as a surprise until we landed but I told him the pilot might have a different idea about that!

New bride

Thank you everyone - I think I might suggest that we do abit of research together and then I'll try and leave him to it.

Like many of you, I usually do the leg work planning holidays and he only sees a short list after research and even then he usually looks at them all, complains about price, and says he likes them all.  We enjoy similar things though and I'm not set on anything, so like MrsJohnstonToB said I don't have a lot to lose.

Love the idea of trying to keep it a secret even on the flight.... :-)

Bridezilla

My hubby to be has planned most of ours. Ive been mad busy with work and it's been really stressful so he's sorted it which I've massively appreciated. We'd agreed the destination and rough route anyway jointly then when I would get in late from work he'd show me hotels at our various destinations (we are travelling round Japan!) and I'd be like yep I like that! Then he would book. I'm tremendously grateful as I've been completely shit on the honeymoon front. But I just don't feel like I've had the time to research enough cos of stupid work. 

My view is we like similar stuff, he's pretty thorough and I basically just can't wait for the time off so it's quite nice to have a bit of a surprise  

Bridezilla

It is the tradition.

The last wedding I went to where this happened, the groom wouldn't even tell the bride hot or cold, so she had to pack ski-wear and summer clothes

New bride

FutureMrsP2018 wrote (see post):

Hi ladies, I'm looking for some opinions on our honeymoon planning please.  H2B has said he quite likes the idea of planning all of the honeymoon himself as a surprise for me.  I love to plan and am looking forward to planning the rest of our wedding so much, so letting go of the honeymoon would be really hard for me but I think it may be a really sweet idea and I'm pretty sure he would do a good job. However, when I read all your lovely planning threads there are loads of fantastic Kuoni experiences with bubbles and excitement, and even without a travel agent "experience" everyone is super excited and looking forward to their trip.  So, what does everyone think - would I miss out by not being involved in this planning step?

Hi, my h2b is planning our honeymoon. I haven't the foggiest what he's planned. But I'm confident that he'll do a good job the only thing he has told me it is in this country. He planned my surprise 40th birthday and he did a fantastic job, so I got no problem with him planning the honeymoon.  Good luck with your wedding plans.😊

Bridezilla

I think it's lovely for a H2B to plan the honeymoon as a surprise! But I agree I might not be able to cope with no involvement at all, so doing research and deciding on a short list is a great option. My H2B is totally useless on this front. The one time he tried to plan a surprise for me, which was tickets to see Hairspray, he panicked he'd get the wrong seats and just asked me which to book. But, I also LOVE holiday planning so I don't mind doing it. I do run most things by him- especially the price- but then he just kind of turns up on the day and says 'where are we going again'? lol. The only thing that annoys me is that when anything goes wrong it's my fault for not doing proper research, or not looking up the directions and getting us lost- when I spend hours and hours researching, putting together spreadsheets, maps, tours, itineraries! But one tiny thing goes wrong and all of a sudden I have screwed up holiday planning... bloody men!

~*My planning thread*~

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/planning-thread--summer-in-the-cotswolds-2017/418589.html

Bridezilla

Sounds fab to me!

I am finding wedding planning in general quite stressful - don't get me wrong I am enjoying it, but I don't think my blood pressure is! Particularly the honeymoon was quite stressful so I would have loved for it to be taken off my hands by H2B. Though we are having a particularly complicated trip lol.

If I were you, I would totally embrace it and look forward to the surprise. As Lubes suggested you could perhaps go to Kuoni or the like and discuss a variety of options so you still get that planning meeting, but let H2B make the decision on location and particulars. But I would rather it be a compelte surprise. This happened for my sister, her husband didn't tell her where they were going until they were boarding. Even the check-out lady kept it quiet, so sweet.