Planning

Save the dates

1 to 8 of 8 posts

New bride

When is the right time to send out our save the date? I am getting married in autumn 2020 and I already have my save the dates that are put away but was wondering when is the right time to send them? Thank you 

Bridezilla

I’m not having them myself, but from what I can gather, it depends on they type of wedding you're having.

If it requires quests to save up a lot of money, for example if you are getting married abroad, then it’s best to send them early to give them a chance to save and organise travel etc. 

Otherwise, I think it’s usually 12-8 months before. But there‘s no real reason to stop you doing it before this if you wanted to. 

New bride

We sent ours once we booked the date. So it was about 10 months before the wedding.

New bride

Thank you for your feedback. It’s in England the wedding. 

i will probably hand the save the dates out the end of the year then start on invites early 2019 because our venue has rooms available and they want to know numbers 6 months before and the rooms are quite expensive so at least people can save If they require a room. so exciting xx 

New bride

Hi,

We sent out our save the dates just now and we're getting married in May 2019. We did have a few raised eyebrows at giving them out so far in advance but most people were just excited and immediately put the date in their diaries. My thinking was that now that we've paid the deposit for the venue and know the date then why wait, I'd be so annoyed with myself if I held back from sending them out just to avoid the raised eyebrows and then people who were important to us made other plans (a few people we've given them to had other weddings already in their calendars in 2019!).

Bridezilla

We sent ours out with Christmas cards for 1st June this year... we wouldn't have bothered at all but its a seaside town at the end of half-term holidays so we wanted to give our guests who'll need to stay over a bit more time to sort themselves out.

I agree its a good idea to send out some sort of notice for weddings that may cost guests more money in travel/accommodation or require time off work, but I do think 2 years is waay too early.  Quite apart from anything else, your guest list may change massively between now and then and it is very difficult (socially,politically and/or emotionally) to uninvite people.

I would advise you to tell people now if you think they need a heads up, and just make the date public knowledge, but save anything formal - including the 'save the dates' - until no more than a year before the big day.

Bridezilla

We're May 2019 and have started sending them out now, but only to people we 100% want there. As others have said, it's hard to uninvite people. We will do formal invites early 2019. 

New bride

Yes 2 years is and I agree. I don’t think I would give them out right now because as you said the guest list will change and it certainly will. I think I was asking because I have no idea when the right time would be but I’m my case of the accommodation being pretty expensive I think I will give them save the dates out a month or so early so I can give the wedding invites out a month or so early so it gives people a chance to save if they wanted to stay over night. Thank you for you advice 
Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

We sent ours out with Christmas cards for 1st June this year... we wouldn't have bothered at all but its a seaside town at the end of half-term holidays so we wanted to give our guests who'll need to stay over a bit more time to sort themselves out.

I agree its a good idea to send out some sort of notice for weddings that may cost guests more money in travel/accommodation or require time off work, but I do think 2 years is waay too early.  Quite apart from anything else, your guest list may change massively between now and then and it is very difficult (socially,politically and/or emotionally) to uninvite people.

I would advise you to tell people now if you think they need a heads up, and just make the date public knowledge, but save anything formal - including the 'save the dates' - until no more than a year before the big day.