Receptions

Advice serving wedding cake as dessert

1 to 19 of 19 posts

Wedding addict

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to cut costs and am thinking about having a starter, main course and then serving the wedding cake instead of a dessert. I'm not sure if this will look tight......I'm thinking about having a large untraditional cake as my wedding cake.

What do you rhink? Is anyone else doing this? If so how are you making it a seemless transition from the meal to the wedding cake being served and used instead of a desert?

Thanks

Wedding addict

Hi LillyL

I was at a wedding on Friday in which they served the wedding cake as the desert and it went down great!! They had their photos taken of them cutting the cake before the meal and the cake was taken away by the kitchen staff during the starter to be cut...no one even noticed!! they then brought it out on a small plate with a jug of cream for each table. It went down nice as no one would have been able to eat a big desert. Hope this helps!!

Wedding addict

Hi LillyL

I was at a wedding on Friday in which they served the wedding cake as the desert and it went down great!! They had their photos taken of them cutting the cake before the meal and the cake was taken away by the kitchen staff during the starter to be cut...no one even noticed!! they then brought it out on a small plate with a jug of cream for each table. It went down nice as no one would have been able to eat a big desert. Hope this helps!!

Bridezilla

Hi,
We're having a 3 tiered Oreo cookie cheesecake as our 'wedding cake' and serving it as desert.
My sister had a chocolate wedding cake a couple of years ago and served it for desert with berries and cream and everyone loved it.
In my experience a lot of people are too full after 3 courses to eat cake so it ends up getting wasted.

Bridezilla

Hi hun, I think it's a great idea. Noone can accuse you of being tight, everyone knows how much weddings cost these days so a save where a save can be made is good by me. I'm thinking of doing the same. I agree you should take your picture before everyone sits for their meal, and they will all be too busy eating to notice the cake gone. From personal experience I am always too stuffed to eat the wedding cake, and I know lots of people always leave the cake too. What sort of cake are you thinking of?

Bridezilla

This is exactly what we did because it saved us money!! The venue's chef makes the most fabulous chocolate cakes so we had the option of him doing the cake for us as well as serving it as the dessert. We had wanted to do this anyway so it worked well for us!

We had a three tiered chocolate cake - see pic.

We did "the cutting of the cake" photos before the start of the wedding breakfast in the doorway of the room. The caterers then took away the cake to cut it into slices. We served it with a berry compote and fresh cream. Went down a storm.

After the mains had been cleared away, hubby and I did our joint speech. Gave people time to digest their first two courses before the dessert and tea and coffee.

However, do check with your venue that they don't mind you doing this. Some venues charge for cutting the cake and serving (which I think is totally mean!).

Bridezilla

be aware too that the guide portion numbers are different if you're serving it as dessert. basically, you'll need a cake twice as big.

Wedding addict

I'm thinking about having a large chocolate cake or a fudge cake or a cheesecake....

Anyone else got any thoughts on serving wedding cake instead of having a separate dessert?

Thanks everyone.

Bridezilla

We're having our chocolate brownie tower (our 'cake') as our dessert! We're having canapes then a BBQ (with optional seconds) so our guests wouldn't eat cake and dessert.

We're going to serve it a bit later though - not straight after the mains so people will appreciate it! xx

Bridezilla

We are doing the same, having M&S wedding cake (chocolate) and our caterer is serving it with fruit, compote and cream to make it look nice. We have decided, however, that we are also doing about 30 different puddings for those who don't like cake (reception for 100), not necessary though to be honest. I don't there is any need for all that food as well as wedding cake, most of our guests are there for the whole day and there is a limit to how much people can stuff themselves, I reckon anyway. In the evening, we aren't having a buffet either but just doing bacon baps and sausage baps - after a few drinks, people want that sort of food and not salad stuff. Our caterer will make them look fancy.

New bride

Serving the wedding cake as dessert is perfectly fine. It's what the vast majority of weddings used to do anyway.

Bridezilla

My cake will be a chocolate ganache cake so that we can serve it as a desert. This is mainly due to the fact that I don't like marzipan,icing, buttercream etc.

The other reason being that it's a great way of getting the cake eaten as well.

Bridezilla

We are doing the same, and I don't think it's tight, although our budget is a bit! lol.

I think it'll be perfectly acceptable, and we're having one tier of fruit cake and two sponge ones - people will be fairly full up (with alcohol probably knowing my lot ). I've bought some white serviettes from ebay with silver writing on with our names and the wedding date so that they can be with the cake to make it a bit more special

Am trying to find ways of little touches making sure it's wedding'y without spending the earth.

xx

Bridezilla

were having an evening bbq then will offer cake, strawberries and cream for desert, i dont think its tight x

Bridezilla

I am doing it too.. having coffee, cognac and petit fours after the buffet meal and then about an hour or ahourandahalf later we are serving the cake with dessert wine, so people get to digest a bit in the meantime and can appreciate it more, as someone else said

Wedding addict

Hi

We are doing the same and using our cake as desert.

We are having 3 tiers, its thick cake to accomodate it being a desert. Bottom tier is rich choc, second tier is vanilla sponge with caramel and cream filling and top is carrot cake! I think we have catered for everyone! LOL

Bridezilla

We're having a citrus-flavored sponge cake, iced and decorated, and we're going to serve it as dessert and take the cut-the-cake pics at the end of the meal, before the waiters start to cut it in portions to serve everyone.
We're having a 3-course meal before that (starter, main dish, cheese & fruits).

Bridezilla

No - I don't think it's tight to serve your wedding cake as dessert. Lots of people are now doing this.

But I would check with your caterers about the cost to serve it. A cost of £3 - £3.50 per plate would be reasonable. This takes into account the time taken to cut and serve, plating it and any garnishes served (e.g. cream, fruit, etc.).

Bridezilla

We are doing this, i think it`s a great idea. My mum is going to make us a traditional wedding cake which we will use ti cut and then serve it later on in the evening with the buffet (although won`t be big enough for everyone to have a bit - first come first served).

Our dessert wedding cake is a white chocolate ganache cigarello which will be filled with fresh strawberries and a dollop of cream mmm!

Because we are doing thism the hotel that is holding our reception has said that they will add a cheese course into our menu but I`m not so sure that people will want a fourth course? (Hopefully then, in the evening our day guests will leave some food for thr evening guests!!) x