13/01/2008 at 15:53
I would like anyone's suggestions please for items I can use on my buffet that as well as being nice to eat will be fairly quick and easy to prepare ie. not masses of sandwich making!!!!! and not too expensive.

I am having a "night do" near home the week after we come back from our wedding in Scotland. For budget reasons, and because I can't believe how much the charge for a very simple buffet is, I am doing the buffet myself (with some help) but would like any ideas to make it a little more enjoyable than a sandwich and sausage roll etc.

We are also decorating the room ourselves, and as I want to fit in having my hair done too, I am looking for things that won't take hours and hours to prepare.

I have a few ideas, and I did do the buffets for my childrens christenings so am confident in managing it...but would like some extra inspiration.

Thanks, Helen x
13/01/2008 at 19:22
erm, lets think................. cant think of anything fancy just the usual stuff really..... im not much help am i?

tuna,pasta mayonnaise which i love mmm
vol-au-vonts (if thats how you spell it)
dips & breadsticks/cheese sticks
mini chinese & indian selection (you can get frozen pack of these)
salads
mini cakes
am really trying to think now!!! cant think of much else sorry x
13/01/2008 at 20:30
Hello Helen
I too am making a home buffet, for a very small number, and have been looking for inspiration!

chicken drumsticks (perhaps coating some with a little mustard or barbeque sauce etc?)
scotch eggs(picnic eggs)
quiche
tuna, pasta and onion
savoury rice
french sticks
bread sticks
selection of cold meat
salad
mini spring rolls
pakora
coleslaw
baked potatoes (with a selection of various fillings)
gataux
mini doughnuts
vegetarian spring rolls
chicken satay
prawns
seafood platter
sliced smoked sausage
tuna and sweetcorn
pringles, kettles and doritas crisps
dips
cashew nuts or dry roasted
scones with cream/jam
cheese board/crackers
grapes
garlic bread
wedding cake?

Many supermarkets have party packs of snacks etc, or frozen food shops. I'm sure there are plenty other ideas out there... Good luck!
Whereabouts in Scotland are you marrying? (my home country!)

Rx

13/01/2008 at 20:44
Hiya Helen0902,
I did my own buffet at my 1st wedding,my 2nd i went 2 a restaraunt where it was buy one get one free..this time round i'm doing a small buffet after we've been for a meal(not bogof..lol),but i'm going to iceland,where they do great party packs for around £5 for 3..they have allsorts,even indian food..and some great sweets,including chocolate eclairs,and much much more..better than sandwiches and sausage rolls..
Hope this will help.
Take care,and all the best,
julia x
14/01/2008 at 07:32
Thanks everyone. I am glad I am not the only one doing my own buffet...I was beginning to wonder!!

Arran'sRose. Whats Pakora? - I am most intrigued!

Helen x
14/01/2008 at 07:54
Helen
How about a selection blinis ( small pancakes) with various toppings... smoked salmon/ creme fraiche or beef and horseradish being the best. Did them for a party recently, they were an absolute knockout and got lots of compliments. You can buy them already made too and they look great with all of the contrasting colours and textures on the platter. Perfect!
Good luck xx
14/01/2008 at 08:28
Hi Helen, good on you for doing your own food, it is shocking how much places charge isn't it!

My friend does a great buffet snack, they are called pizza swirls and you just buy some packs of puff pastry, roll it out and spread on a layer of pesto or ragu sauce (or similar!) and sprinkle with grated cheese.

You then roll it up into a sausage shape and cut the 'sausage' into slices. Place the slices flat on a backing tray and bake in a hot oven for about 10 mins. They puff out into pretty 'swirl' shapes and taste fab!

Hope this makes sense, it's harder to explain in writing than I thought!
14/01/2008 at 08:44
my fmil and my stepdad(italian) are doing my reception buffet .
fmil is doing some sandwiches ,chicken drumsticks ,nuggets ,mini pizzas ,pastas ,prawn ring.indian snacks ,chinese snacks ,rice dishes ,crisps ,sweets ,cakes etc (mostly it will be bought from iceland ,asda )
my stepdad is providing italian meats ,olives ,anything italiany(cant remember half of what its called but its lovely ) .

i helped my fmil to prepare a buffet for a wedding just before xmas and i was shocked at the amount of work ,that does go into preparation and worked out at 2 full days cooking and prepping .
we was knackered by the end of it and she didnt charge nowhere near as much as the catering firms do for less .
think it worked out at just over £100 worth of food fed just under 140 people and there was food left over .
14/01/2008 at 10:05
Might be more pricey than you want but you could make your own smoked salmon parcels - use some chive philadelphia, put some prwns in and wrap up in smoked salmon. I made them on NYE and they went down a storm!
14/01/2008 at 12:17
Hi Helen

pakora (if I have spelt correctly) is an indian spicy snack..like onion bhajis, only smaller..they are available with the indian snack packs from supermarkets, asda maybe? or Iceland?

Are you marrying at gretna?

Rx
14/01/2008 at 12:30
definately green olives and feta cheese cubes!
14/01/2008 at 13:00
instead of chicken drumsticks why not do a selection of chicken strippers, some plain, some bbq sauce, some garlic etc. strippers are much easier to eat than drumsticks as finger food.
14/01/2008 at 15:16
Thanks everyone. You have given me some lovely ideas - I am so glad I started this thread. I had to go and make tea before replying as all your ideas made me very hungry!

Tinkerbelle. I have done a quick rough costing (using Tesco.com) and I reckon I can do a really nice buffet for around 130 - 140 people for under £200 (which is my budget for the food)

Arran'sRose. We are indeed getting married at Gretna. Well to be precise at The Mill Forge and we are having our reception meal and staying there as well. We are only taking 18, including us two, to Scotland and then having the night do for everybody else on the Friday after. I am really excited. A little dubious of being able to fit everything in on the ???????Night do??????? day but if I get well organised and don't make the buffet too complicated I think it should be ok.

Helen x
14/01/2008 at 15:22
Icelands King Prawn ring, mmmmm. And Iceland do something like a 50 piece chinese selection for £5.00 which is nice.
14/01/2008 at 15:49
Pigs in blankets!! Not everyone calls them that! Maybe you'd know them as kilted sausages or devils on horseback? Little sausages wrapped in bacon
14/01/2008 at 16:51
big salads - pasta salads, potato salads, rice salads, coleslaws - roasted vegetables, new potatoes in butter and parsley, roasties, big meat and cheese selections, french bread, jacket potatoes, whole/ half salmon or trout, shell-on prawns, Couscous, pavlovas, cheesecakes, eclaires, bowls of fresh fruit/ strawberries, mozarella and tomato with balsamic vinegar, mini-pastries... mmm... hungry!
13/03/2009 at 10:20
WE R DOING OUR OWN BUFFET WE COOKED CHIKEN DRUMSTIKS WITH CHICKEN OXO CUBES CRUSHED AND SPRINKLED OVER BEFORE COOKING FOR MUMS ANNIVERSARY EVERYONE LOVED THEM ALSO HAVING A CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN WITH FRUIT MARSHMALLOWS,TURKISH DELIGHT AND FUDGE ON STICKS VOL AU VENTS ,MINI PASTIES,COCKTAIL SAUSAGES,SALMON BLINIS.HOPE THAT SOMEONE A LITTLE.
13/03/2009 at 11:39
helen 092, sorry if i am stating the obvious here, but, i am to doing my own buffet. My sister MIL runs her own catering business - to save time when she has a big do on, she makes and freezes sandwiches in advance, the trick is to make and freze the sandwiches with very fresh bread, get them out on the morning of the wedding, use electric carving knife to cut off crusts and then display - obviously no salad can be placed in sandwiches, so she just dresses with salad and has fillings displayed for people to add as they please.Hope this frees up some time for you, I am worried already about getting it all done plus getting myself prepared! We are having a buffet consisting of
Quiche
Sliced meats
salads
potatoes
rice
chicken wings
sausage rolls
sandwiches
crisps
When you get prices from caterers they only have a small selection of items per selection, its easy to get carried away. Most of our choices are so easy to set up, that I hope we will have enough time!
best of luck
13/03/2009 at 12:12
How about doing a massive gazpacho, its a spanish chilled soup made from tomato, garlic, peppers, cucumber and red wine vinegar. Its so cheap, esp if you use tin toms, and you can make it in advance and freeze it. Be lovely for the summer.
13/03/2009 at 14:05
Hello to everyone. Thanks for the replies and its lovely to see the thread pick up again...and so many people have viewed it...just goes to show how many people want buffet ideas.

Just thought I'd let you all know it is a thread from last year as I actually got married June 1st 2008. 80 days til our first anniversary. I had a wonderful time, coped fine with the buffet...was tired though about half way through the night do I have to admit.

I stuck to fairly "normal" things, quiches, chicken, cold meats etc. Brightened the whole table up with lots of colourful salads, pastas, rice salad etc and had a table of totally yummy deserts. We did def over cater and despite everyone having masses to eat, a load was sadly binned at the end of the night, but I was happier with that than if we had run short.

I hope anyone still planning has a wonderful time and maybe can use someof the tips off this thread.Happy weddings, Helen xxx

What do you think of our new wedding venues directory at www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/venues?