20/05/2008 at 12:23
How long roughly does a civil ceremony service take on average? We haven't chosen our vows yet but have decided on no readings etc.

20/05/2008 at 12:27
About 20mins -half hour usually.

If you're not sure about anything as your registrar x
20/05/2008 at 15:34
ours will last approx 30 mins, but it also depends on how many readings you have. x
20/05/2008 at 16:09
Hi,

I've been told that without any readings or other extras the basic ceremony is 15 mins....very quick eh! I'll definitely be adding things as it will be over far far to quickly. Maybe I'll write some really long vows lol!

Fiona x
20/05/2008 at 16:12
Thanks for the advice girls. We are both really nervous and want to get the other celebrations on with asap!
20/05/2008 at 16:24
We're having a few readings to make it last a bit longer, although not too long!
I wanted reading to get my moneys worth out of the registrar!

Mummy to Evie (August 2005) and Noah (August 2010) x
21/05/2008 at 11:51
were having no reading just a plain simple ceremony and been told 1/2 hour and it's still costing us a total of 360.00
22/05/2008 at 14:34
we have been told 20 mins as no readings. i'm with you nikkinoos - want to get on with the celebrations!
24/05/2008 at 19:17
Hi we got married on the 11th and had a civil ceremony. The normal ceremony without readings will only take 15 mins, however if you add two readings (which we did, and it made it so beautiful and memorable) and candle lighting, it only takes it to 25 mins. The cermony becomes longer the more things you add, and I would strongly recommend you do. As the entire day goes quickly you would hardly remember what happened if you don't add the small details, that really do make the difference. Speak to your registrar and they will advise you, but you can have reading from guests, candle lighting, children from the relastionship involved, you can even have the entire room involved. You can add your own readings to eachother and make your own vows. I strongly recommend you make it as memorable as possible and don't forget it only take 1 or 2 minutes max for a poem to be read and maybee 3 minuted to light the candles and repeat a few words. And it's really nice to have the room involved in your ceremony.

Good luck Vic
25/05/2008 at 06:59
Thanks Vic, i really appreciate your comments. Congratulations on your wedding. I thought i had known all the way thru planning what i wanted but have changed my mind on so many things i may just change my mind on this! Think i will have to have a chat with the registrar when we see him/her at the end of June. xx
25/05/2008 at 16:50
Can I ask a strange question about Civil Ceremonys. Are you allowed to have the room and the layout as you want? What i mean by this is when you see people get married in a church they stand next to each other facing the vicar. The last Civil ceremony I went to had the bride and groom standing facing the guests the whole time. I would much prefer to be stood next to my husband to be facing away from the guests because I know this would make me so much more nervous looking at everyone. I know this sounds silly but are you allowed to say what you want the room to be like and where you want to stand? Advice if poss ladies x
25/05/2008 at 16:56
I was told 20 mins max - we will have 1 reading...something short and sweet.

Our ceremony is going to be held in the gardens with our guests standing around witnessing.....we don't want anyone getting overheated in the summer sunshine!!!!
26/05/2008 at 03:39
I'm not sure actually j4s. I would assume you could have it as you would like it. I never even thought about facing the guests and i would not like to do that either. May have to have a chat with your venue/registrar just to make sure. I think i may ask this question also as i don't want it to be a shock when we get there on the day!!!
26/05/2008 at 11:24
My Civil ceremony, 17 years ago, had no readings and was about five minutes long.!! My advice would be to definitely have some readings of some sort.!!
Your say
email image

Which online planning tools would you find useful?