The wedding budget

What is the average price per head?

1 to 20 of 21 posts

New bride

Hiya,
Being brand new to all this wedding planning stuff, I have looked at my first venue and have fallen in love. It costs £125 per head, including exclusive us of venue, welcome drinks, 3 course reception meal, wine & water with meal and a DJ aswell as a variety of other bits and bobs. We're looking at getting married at the end of September 2013, but I just wanted to know if this is a good deal or not? I've been googling average wedding costs but they never tell you the price per head. Can anyone help me?

Oh and we are looking in Bucks/ Berks if that helps!

Thanks!!!

Bridezilla

Tbh it depends where you are and where your having it hun

most that we have found in birmingham is (roughly)

£20-25 for 3 course sit down meal
£150-200 for a dj
drinks are anything from 5-15 per person depending on what drinks

alot of venues around here will give us the venue you for free and have a manned bar for us but for all your having its around £20-25 per head so i think £125 is a little extortionate tbh but again it depends on where you are

Bridezilla

Totally depends where you are. That's just a bit less that you would pay for a central London 5* hotel.

Wedding addict

Mine is in a 4* country club in Leeds and is £80 per head for canapes, 3 course meal, reception drinks, 1/2 bottle of wine each and the BBQ in the evening

Wedding addict

Sopwell House in Herts offers £89 ph for the same kind of thing too.

Bridezilla

Quoted:
Hiya,
Being brand new to all this wedding planning stuff, I have looked at my first venue and have fallen in love. It costs £125 per head, including exclusive us of venue, welcome drinks, 3 course reception meal, wine & water with meal and a DJ aswell as a variety of other bits and bobs. We're looking at getting married at the end of September 2013, but I just wanted to know if this is a good deal or not? I've been googling average wedding costs but they never tell you the price per head. Can anyone help me?

Oh and we are looking in Bucks/ Berks if that helps!

Thanks!!!

Mines the same price and I adore our venue! Nothing else compared x

Bridezilla

Depends where you are and what's included. Our food and drink is costing about £110 per head for our day guests: this includes canapes, 2 welcome drinks of buck's fizz, 1/2 bottle wine, water, glass of champagne for the toast, 3 course meal, and evening buffet. Our venue hire is additional (about £900 for the reception and £700 for the ceremony), as is entertainment.

For what you're getting (food and drink; entertainment; exclusive use), I would say that £125 a head is reasonable for somewhere expensive like London, or parts of Berkshire/Buckinghamshire/Surrey, but on the pricey side for other parts of the country. It also depends on the venue.

Bridezilla

Mrsp2be2012 - Were you at Sopwell House's wedding fayre today??

We are getting married at Offley Place, and are paying about £85ish-pp for (canapes & champagne, 3 course dinner with 1/2 bottle of wine then champagne toast)

Evening food, is £6.50pp (fish & chip cones)

And we are paying £3.5k hire as well.

Wedding addict

Hi Clare, not today - we're all booked up at The Sculpture Gallery now . My fiance's cousin got married at Sopwell in June so we heard about the costs etc. Lovely venue but wasn't private enough for us. They had gorgeous fireworks and the wedding party in the next room came out to watch them too which really upset the B&G. We thought it was lovely though and good value for money considering its proximity to London.

Ours is costing us quite a lot but there's no package as such - I've put the costs down below in Cade they help. Might be a few pounds out here and there as I don't have the spreadsheet open:

£33 ph for reception drinks (2 glasses of kir royale & soft drinks) 1/2 bottle of wine or beers for dinner and champagne for the toast
£64 ph for three course meal
£8 ph (i think?) for reception canapes
£8(ish) for eve walkabout buffet food - fish and chip cones (snap
Clare!) and bangers n mash. Not catering for 100% though.

We also paid a few grand for facility hire on top. Not cheap but when you fall in love with a venue it can
happen! Kind of wish I'd heard of Offley Place now - looks gorgeous & very reasonable!

Laura x

Bridezilla

It's so funny, hardly anyone knows or has heard of Offley Place, and so many suppliers don't know if either!

We wanted somewhere exclusive too.. I can't think of anything worse than seeing another bride.

I would be fumming, if another couple and their guests came outside and watched our fireworks.. luckily the closest we will get is the villagers, but they are quite far away from the venue, so we'd never ever see them!

The Sculpture Gallery, is so lovely, we enquired there, but they don't allow fireworks, and a few of the things we wanted, so it wasn't meant to be! Are you staying the Inn at Woburn?? H2B took me their as a surprise for our first anniversary. It was lovely hotel

Bridezilla

We're paying £92 per head. Includes:

- 3 course meal
- evening buffet
- 2 x reception drinks
- Half a bottle of wine on the table
- Glass of sparkly for toasting

At first, I thought this was a lot. However, we are in Herts... which I've found to be pretty expensive in general. And the food at our venue is reportedly absolutely awesome. Cant wait for my testing session!!!

My Planning Thread:  http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/planning/our-rustic-barn-travel-themed-wedding-plans/374890.html

Bridezilla

Our complete package for the day is £3,500 and we're getting married at Woodside in Warwickshire. We'd looked at a number of locations in Bucks as we live in Northamptonshire but found it to be a little pricey.

For our money we have 40 people attending the wedding ceremony and wedding breakfast and an additional 30 attending the evening reception. We also have in that a DJ (£350 separately) the bridal suite and 2 complimentary rooms for our parents, exclusive use of the venue, canap????s and drinks. That price also includes extended reception and cost of bar until 2:00am.

We weren't going to use a package but as we intend to get married in March next year they had a special "winter wonderland" one.

Bridezilla

Quoted from my venue's wedding pack-

£10.00 per person for canap???? selection of eight.
£5.00 per person for arrival drink
£55.00 per person for wedding breakfast
£1500 exclusive use charge (subject to variation)
£30.00 per person evening finger buffet

We had 52 guests (including us) so I guess the total per head, if you include the exclusive use fee, worked out at around £120. This is based on us ordering buffet for around 75% of our total guests (a lot didn't eat buffet after their meal, or only had a little. Either way there was more than enough).

The meal was four courses with menu choices for each course so that guests could choose in advance, which was one of our 'must haves'. Also coffee and petits fours afterwards. We also paid for wine during the wedding breakfast- probably a tenner a head- and sparkling wine for toasts- another £3 a head.

Sounds like a lot but we're foodies, we didn't spend on many 'extras' (sweetie buffet, videographer, chair covers, table decs etc- see the other thread discussing this kind of thing in Chat). And since the wedding everyone who came is still raving about the setting, food and drink so I guess we pitched it about right for our friends and family

Bridezilla

I think the thing to remember is, if your venue charge a large room hire fee then they usually the price per head is cheaper and vise versa. For example, the wedding breakfast for my venue is £35 per head however the room hire is £5000......

Wedding addict

Quoted:
It's so funny, hardly anyone knows or has heard of Offley Place, and so many suppliers don't know if either!

We wanted somewhere exclusive too.. I can't think of anything worse than seeing another bride.

I would be fumming, if another couple and their guests came outside and watched our fireworks.. luckily the closest we will get is the villagers, but they are quite far away from the venue, so we'd never ever see them!
The Sculpture Gallery, is so lovely, we enquired there, but they don't allow fireworks, and a few of the
things we wanted, so it wasn't meant to be! Are you staying the Inn at Woburn?? H2B took me their as a surprise for our first anniversary. It was lovely hotel

Hey! we've booked The Inn - how lovely of your hubby! I do love our venue but you're right, they are pretty strict on a few things - no fireworks or Chinese lanterns for example - but they have good reasons and I did get very detailed explanations as to why they wouldn't allow them which I accepted (eventually, after having a good moan to H2B lol). They weren't on our list of 'must haves' at the beginning of the process so we didn't ask until a year after we'd signed the contract. We've had some really good ideas to make up for the lack of sky sparkles though, and the staff have been absolutely outstanding, a genuine pleasure to work with, so I've forgiven their inflexibility.

Great job with Offley though - your big day will be stunning! Bet your piccies will be beautiful! We've only got four months (and a good stone!) to go... Gulp. Happy planning

Bridezilla

We're not 100% on venue yet, but the one we have our heart set on is 90euro for the bbq buffet, about 11euro for canapes and 7euro for drinks during dinner. Venue hire is included in this so it'll be about £5k all in which I didn't think was too bad.

Hmmm, I might 'borrow' this question and ask the same thing on the weddings abroad page!!

Bridezilla

We get married in Oxford and have our reception in a 4* hotel.

We have the largest suite and with that comes a separate entrance, a private bar, garden area and toilets.

We are paying 75£ per head for day guests, which includes welcome drink, canapes, 3 course dinner, 1/2 bottle of wine and water on the tables and a savoury evening buffet.

The evening guests cost 20£ each, that is for buffet and a welcome drink for them.

We are however getting our own desserts for the evening and cakes/wedding cake which will come to another 750£ altogether.

Because we have a lot of guests we dont pay room hire which would normally be 750£ for day and evening but if we were to go under a certain number we have to pay that.

New bride

Outside caterers - company called Juicy Jackets - About £5 per head. We've booked them on the back of a wedding reception we went to last year. The food was amazing and such a quirky idea. They look amazing as well. So excited about our big day because I know people will love them.
Just an idea anyway - something a little different from the norm!!!

Hope everything goes well!!!

Wedding addict

Uplands House in high Wycombe did us a good deal I looked for about four months and seemed the best deal I could find in Bucks/berks area Im getting married this December