Unconventional / Alternative weddings

The reprocussions of eloping?

21 to 28 of 28 posts

Bridezilla

thanks, I hope so too, she’s angry because we’ve sent save the dates and she’ll be embarrassed (she decided to to invite a load of her friends) 

Bridezilla

Is there an option that you could still do a much smaller scale village hall or garden party with home made buffet, or BBQ, on the day you specified on your Save The Dates? Might placate people a bit.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Is there an option that you could still do a much smaller scale village hall or garden party with home made buffet, or BBQ, on the day you specified on your Save The Dates? Might placate people a bit.

Hate village halls and would be embarrassed (just my opinion please don’t be offended) to have my wedding in a village hall. Tried to ask my mum if she would have a garden party (only garden big enough to house everyone) and she at first agreed then said no. we did look at other options Venue wise but honestly don’t want to do them!

Bridezilla

Beth78 wrote (see post):

thanks, I hope so too, she’s angry because we’ve sent save the dates and she’ll be embarrassed (she decided to to invite a load of her friends) 

Ah, ok. Well, you'll have to go through the same thing after all. And it shouldn't be embarrassment - There's nothing embarrassing about deciding to have a smaller wedding. Basically, if she supports you and gives out that she supports you, then any embarrassment is turned on it's head. It's her choice to be embarrassed by it, or to own it with her friends ('It's not ideal, but hey, it's my son, if he's happy I'm happy!')

Whilst I can see that if people love you they want to be with you on the day, equally if they love you they should respect your decision. (I always get a bit riled when other people think they are entitled to a couples day in some way...)

This is obviously going to be pretty difficult for you - so good vibes from this corner being sent over to you. 

Bridezilla

Beth78 wrote (see post):

Hate village halls and would be embarrassed (just my opinion please don’t be offended) to have my wedding in a village hall. Tried to ask my mum if she would have a garden party (only garden big enough to house everyone) and she at first agreed then said no. we did look at other options Venue wise but honestly don’t want to do them!

Fair enough- but it wouldn't be your wedding, would it? Just a little after party. Maybe a local pub would be an option, lots have function rooms or will reserve an area for a minimum bar spend and no upfront cost.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

Beth78 wrote (see post):

Fair enough- but it wouldn't be your wedding, would it? Just a little after party. Maybe a local pub would be an option, lots have function rooms or will reserve an area for a minimum bar spend and no upfront cost.

This is what we have at the moment 😂 

Wedding addict

Here is a bit of a different take on it - I say this as someone who isn’t getting married with anyone other than my other half.

Its important to remember the reason you’re getting married. And that’s for love and commitment to your other half. Everything else is extra. 

Ignore what society says is the “right way” to get married. They is no right way. Like I say, so long as your married at the end of it who is to say you need to have a party after. Sounds like you don’t want that. That’s fine. 😊

Your removing the excess and fluff and focusing on your commitment. 

So why not make it more special? Grab your closest friends and family (keep it under 10) and go elsewhere in the U.K.  Make it special for you and them. There are lots of ways you can use the money you’ve saved to make it special. 

Both your families will come around to the idea. If not, they risk losing you both. Families never want that, not really.