Wedding fashion

Bridal Alterations London recommendations?

81 to 93 of 93 posts

New bride

Glad I could help. You got any pictures of your dress?

Clara x

New bride

Sure, not sure if you can see this ok. If not, I can send it via PM.

Tx

New bride

I’ve just taken a look through these recent posts and i’ve also noticed that every time anyone points out fake reviewers, some “customers” (usually 2) strike up a conversation between themselves promoting the same company. Any guesses which company??

The conversation continues until they reach a new page ….

Do they think adding pics will make their conversations look more genuine?

Business must be bad to reach such lows.

New bride

Hi Tina,

I love the dress. Alterations Boutique have done an amazing job for you. There are a few strange people on this forum that keep interrupting our conversation. Its a bit silly and impolite #issues. I'm trying my best to ignore them. Where you going on your honey moon? 

Bridezilla

Samantha-22 wrote (see post):

I’ve just taken a look through these recent posts and i’ve also noticed that every time anyone points out fake reviewers, some “customers” (usually 2) strike up a conversation between themselves promoting the same company. Any guesses which company??

The conversation continues until they reach a new page ….

Do they think adding pics will make their conversations look more genuine?

Business must be bad to reach such lows.

No pictures of genuine brides on their FB page either!! Odd that! The lady did that my alterations has a FB page adorned in various photos of dresses she has done, as worn by brides on their big day.

Also I love the constant name dropping of the company in every post... normal people just wouldn't do that.

But anyway ladies carry on, it's rather funny to read

New bride

I used Alterations Boutique because all the people I found online had websites but lots operated from home and did not accept cards and wanted me to pay cash or by cheque. Some had just mobile numbers which they did not even pick up. I was so dismayed that I looked and found this forum and someone recommended Alterations Boutique.

I visited their website www.alterationsboutique.co.uk and I could see that they were a professional company. I am only recommending Alterations Boutique purely on the basis that the service they provided was professional, they responded to my email straight away, they made an appointment for me and send a confirmation text to my phone, I was able to pay by American Express which I like to do and they had a proper shop front. As they are open from 9am to 9pm I was able to see them after office hours so it did not interfere with my work and their order system sent me handy reminders to tell me when my appointments were. As for the work well it was flawless but I expected that to be honest after the excellent service I had received. It is on that basis alone I am recommending Alterations Boutique. I want people to receive the same excellent experience I had.

As for the Facebook page I cannot comment but I saw that they have been on Channel 4, Hello Magazine, ITV, Sky news, The Times and featured in Ultimate Wedding Magazine. This created the confidence to make me know I was seeing a legitimate company. After all I cannot imagine that the Times would feature anything but a reputable company in an editorial section of their newspaper.

I hope this clears things up.

Clara 

New bride

I had my dress fitting in a “shop front” and i wouldn’t say that the experience was particularly professional just because it had a shop front.  Also, how ridiculous to suggest that a business that takes credit cards is more legit than others is clearly an attempt to denigrate other legitimate businesses and as such, i would ignore such comments...

During my fitting, at the “shop front" i had another bride to the left of me so there wasn’t much privacy during my fitting  and i could hear their conversation. Unfortunately for the other bride, the seamstress clearly couldn’t understand what the customer was trying to say! After my first fitting, i paid and left the shop, but because i wasn’t filled with confidence, i called the shop and asked if they could refund me, but they said they DIDN'T do refunds so i was stuck with them! Always check prior to payment to see if they would refund you and get it in writing if you need to!

Furthermore, businesses can pay to feature in an editorial section so that also doesn’t make them professional either. Genuine brides posting genuine reviews onto social media means a whole lot more because anyone can then contact those genuine brides themselves.

New bride

Thanks Samantha,

As I said previously,

I used Alterations Boutique because all the people I found online had websites but lots operated from home and did not accept cards and wanted me to pay cash or by cheque. Some had just mobile numbers which they did not even pick up. I was so dismayed that I looked and found this forum and someone recommended Alterations Boutique.

I visited their website www.alterationsboutique.co.uk and I could see that they were a professional company. I am only recommending Alterations Boutique purely on the basis that the service they provided was professional, they responded to my email straight away, they made an appointment for me and send a confirmation text to my phone, I was able to pay by American Express which I like to do and they had a proper shop front. As they are open from 9am to 9pm I was able to see them after office hours so it did not interfere with my work and their order system sent me handy reminders to tell me when my appointments were. As for the work well it was flawless but I expected that to be honest after the excellent service I had received. It is on that basis alone I am recommending Alterations Boutique. I want people to receive the same excellent experience I had.

As for the Facebook page I cannot comment but I saw that they have been on Channel 4, Hello Magazine, ITV, Sky news, The Times and featured in Ultimate Wedding Magazine. This created the confidence to make me know I was seeing a legitimate company. After all I cannot imagine that the Times would feature anything but a reputable company in an editorial section of their newspaper.

Clara 

New bride

Clara 

New bride

Hi,

Clara 

New bride

I feel like sharing my story. I bought my wedding dress almost a year before my wedding, very soon after I got engaged! I went to New York on business and I just happened to find my dream dress while I was 'wedding dress browsing'. Obviously, I had to buy it.  It was little challenging transporting it back to London but, anyway, it was worth it.

I was quite happy with the general fit, apart from the length which I was planning to have adjusted once I found the right shoes. Although, it didn't happen that way as 6 months before the wedding I found out that I was expecting a baby! My fiancé and I were very excited but we had a lot to think about with regards to our wedding plans. And I had to think about what to do with my dress - luckily it had a corset. I needed a dressmaker to help me plan this!

Having absolutely no experience in this, I phoned the first company that came up when I Googled 'wedding dress alterations london', which happened to be Alterations Boutique. They were based in central London which was perfect for my commute.

The lady on the phone was lovely when I was trying to explain my 'I will be 7 months pregnant on my wedding day but I've already bought my wedding dress' story. She said they had to see the dress and do a fitting before she could confirm anything. She offered me a free consultation and I was there the next day trying on my dream dress, slightly panicking of course!

I was seen by a dressmaker who reassured me that I had nothing to worry about and that she would take care of my dress. No need to say that her reassurance was music to my ears! She came up with a plan: extend the waist area, extend the bust area, and finally adjust the length (apparently that had to be the last job). We arranged a date for my next fitting and I left the dress in her capable hands. I had 3 or 4 fittings all together and my bump just kept on growing. My last fitting took place 5 days before the wedding, the day I collected my dress. The dressmaker did a phenomenal job. Even though my bump was quite big she made the dress fit me in the way that made me look slimmer. No creases, no wrinkles, no pulling or puckering. I was very grateful and very emotional  when I saw the final result. 

So ladies, I can only speak from my experience, and I've never been to a dressmaker/seamstress before so I  cannot say that Alterations Boutique are the best in London but what I can say is that their dressmaker did a phenomenal job on my dress and that I felt very comfortable wearing my dress on the day. Personally, I would highly recommend them (particularly, to any pregnant brides to be  :)).

If I had to do it all again I would have waited a little longer before purchasing my dress! 

Lucy 

New bride

I happened to have worked for Design & Alter as well as Alterations Boutique. They are both vile in the way they treat staff, more so Alterations Boutique, so lets start with them and how they work.

Alterations Boutique: It felt like prison camp, like a clandestine chinese sweat shop, I have never seen anything like it. The downstairs is absolutely cluttered, and unsafe. Just  ram packed with machines, one next to the other with barely any space to get through. The tailor or seamstress gets paid a small percentage on what the customer is charged, so if the job is longer than calculated, you may not even get minimum wage. Everyone is 'self employed' so no holidays, no sick leave, no nothing. Most people are immigrants that speak little english, great at what they do, but obviously struggle to find much else because of their lack of ability to communicate in english.I hated every single second of it (didn't last long). So fitters you see are always assigned to the person who has the best english. Again, everyone is great at what they do, but the more they rush your job, the more money they will earn (not much in any case). They have a massive tournarround, and I have later met people that worked there, every single person hates their time there, but they had nothing else to turn to and just stuck it out, I was fortunate enough to be able to decide quite quickly I was not putting up with that sort of thing. All the positive comments you see in any other forum are written by them, they told me, and they are all around the same date coincidentally... The short time I was in AB customers would come in daily unsatisfied and demanding refunds (with reason) the owner lacks all sorts of customer service and not care, I even heard him shouting at customers (not every occasion)

As for D&A, conditions are better, the manager on the other hand is mean for no reason, lacks any sort of communication skill and has no managerial qualities. I remember crying in the toilet, and I know I wasn't the only one shedding tears locked behind doors. I felt bullied by the manager and pretty much dragged me into depression, she has a thing with the owner, so no point trying to go to anyone with that. Staff are treated nicer, have a set hourly wage dependant on what the manager believes you are worth; so that helps in the quality of the alteration. There is also a quality control person who checks garments, so nothing major should pass through. The amenities are WAAAAY better and safer, but anything would be safer and better than the work area in AB. I know people that have been there for years, (no one stays for years in AB for eg.), so I can only guess not everyone is bullied, or they just put up with it better than I did. 

Just thought some people might appreciate an insight from the inside.

I recommend neither, most other small places will do as good as a job and hopefully treat staff with more respect. They will be the people that used to work in these places that got sick and tired of it all and opened their own little corner alterations place. It's their own little business now and they need your recommendations or repeat customers (obvs not another wedding dress, but maybe a nice dress for someone else's wedding?).  No one wants to ruin anyones wedding dress, just make sure to do your homework when choosing, and more expensive does not mean better, definitely not in this case.

I'll just point out as some people already have that they are both (BA & D&A) obviously the ones commenting on the previous posts (Chris is actually one of the owners, you'd think he's change his name at least). So fake and badly done.