Wedding fashion

Sofie house? Looks too good to be true!

21 to 37 of 37 posts

Bridezilla

They have stolen pictures of wedding dresses from other designers to put on their website which is majorly dodgy... order at your peril!

Funny too how all the 'brides' who are giving this company good feedback only have one or two forum posts and are all new brides.

New bride

I tried to order a dress tonight and it said due to the security of my debit card the purchase was not processed. They said to let my bank know I was trying to do a transaction in Hong Kong.

New bride

i just got my dress in from Sofie house. it looked amazing online, but i was very disappointed when i received it. the lace overlay was extremely cheep and the appliqués were not attached properly and were very uneven. Some of the seams were not perfect and the sleeve seams were not even. The dress was wayy too big, which was really too bad because i had ordered a custom fit. also, they don't accept returns with custom fit dresses so I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. at least my wedding is still 5 months away so i have time to keep looking or find an amazing seamstress to alter the dress. 

New bride

If you find a dress on Sofia House that you like, send a picture of it to a seamstress on Etsy, and see if they will custom make it for you. I bought my own 100% duchess silk fabric, notions, and lace, and sent it to a seamstress on Etsy with very precise measurements. The cost to make the dress was $500, and to buy that dress at a bridal salon would have cost me close to $3,000.

New bride

I bought a wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses from a UK website http://www.bridal-essentials.co.uk/ they were absolutely brilliant, customer service was excellent and my dresses were delivered really quickly. They've got an ebay shop as well stores.ebay.co.uk/bridalessentials/ 

New bride

I would say it does look too good to be true. I haven't ordered from Sofie House but as another poster mentioned they are using other designer's promotional pictures to sell knock-off dresses. Not only is this illegal, it also means that you are NOT buying what's in the picture. You may have fallen in love with a dress because of some of the subtle details, or the exquisite lace for example in the picture. Just consider that you have no idea how it's really going to look, or fit, until it arrives. The person making this dress has probably never even SEEN the dress in the picture. They are just working off that picture trying to copy it! And on their "blog" page they show you some of their process, which shows that they use commercial patterns (sewing patterns for home use only). Again possibly illegal (not too sure as they are in China) and very much NOT what any respectable design house would do. I know people are looking for a cheap option, but there is a reason why wedding dresses cost so much. The amount of craftsmanship in a gown is incredible.     My advice is you would have a much better experience, and probably a better dress at the end of it, with a local seamstress. You could design the dress together, approve materials and have several fittings, probably (and hopefully) including a mock-up in calico before the real fabric is cut. A friend of a friend of mine did it this way, got her dream gown for a really reasonable price (I think it was £800, but it  was a few years ago).  It was gorgeous and she got to design every detail.

New bride

I received the dress from sofiehouse last week.We are so glad they are making and sending a most beautiful dress, on time and fitting. Sofiehouse truly saved our day. This was a very important experience for my daughter, they made her look and feel like a princess for the first time. I had already recommend this company to my friends.

Bridezilla

Perhaps you should post some pictures of your dress then Pumeza, for us to all see the quality of it

New bride

This is the photo

New bride

I'd like to add to this by saying that I fell in love with a dress on Sofie House and the price was just so good that it made me question what was going on. How could such a gorgeous dress only cost $200? I figured if there was any chance the dress looked like the picture, it might be worth the $200 risk.

Luckily, I stumbled upon this thread before doing anything silly like flat out ordering it afraid I'd miss out on the "sale." After reading some reviews about the photos not being theirs, I took another look at the dress.

There was something about the chiffon and layering of lace in this wedding dress that reminded me so much of elements of that lavender Elie Saab Couture number that Mila Kunis wore in the 2011 Oscars.

So I googled Elie Saab wedding dresses, and that same model from the Sofie House website flooded my screen and sure enough, 8 photos down on the list there was the dress I'd fallen in love with.

I don't know what you get when you order from these people but I guarantee you the photo they use is not their design.

New bride

So, I looked at this thread before I purchased a dress from Sofie House and decided to take a gamble and purchase one. I did not buy a wedding dress, but I did buy a special occasion gown. I was actually really happy with the dress. The price was incredible and the seamstress we took it to to have altered was surprised at how well the dress was made. We purposely added 3/4 of an inch to all of the measurements to make sure we had some wiggle room. Turns out that wasn't really necessary because the dress had to be taken in that much. I just didn't want to risk it being too small since it would make zero sense to ship it back. 

From the time we ordered the dress until it hit my door was about 30 days. I was very pleased considering it came all the way from China and is made upon order. 

Overall, I was very happy! We had a great experience. happy shopping!

Jen

New bride

I went against my better judgement and ordered a dress from this website and was terribly disappointed. The fabric was very cheap, and was fraying before I even tried it on. The color was not as pictured, it was supposed to be all white, and it was white "lace" over this yellow/gold lining. I sent them my custom measurements and the bust came out about 2 cup sizes too big. The top of the sweetheart neckline, nearly reached my collar bones. I took it to a seamstress and she basically told me I got scammed. She said it wouldn't be worth the money to alter it. They only allow 3 days to return the dress. I missed that 3 day window, and they would not work with me at all. They essentially told me too bad, so sad. I paid my tuition on this one!

New bride

My dress is amazing! I was very nervous about ordering a dress without being able to see it or try it on and also thought the price was too good to be true. They have really surprised me and I am so happy with my dress and how quickly it has arrived. I will definitely be using SOFIEHOUSE again next July for my bridesmaid dresses

New bride

I recently order a beautiful ball gown wedding dress for my wedding.  I ordered it on Dec 4, 2015.  Well the whole week of Christmas, the delivery man has left notes on the door and even left one saying me or  fiancé can just sign the piece of papper and he/she would leave it at the door.  This was Dec 28, 2015.  It is now Jan 4, 2016 and the delivery person hasnt left it or even remotely been by.  Yesterday at 07:37 I recived an email from Sofie House.  They gave me my tracking information (which was suppose to emailed to me BEFORE they shipped it) and they also wanted me to call SF EXPRESS because they think the address is wrong.......umm last time I checked, I knew what my address was. Hopefully I can find this package somewhere. (Crossed fingers)  Luckily I have till October 21, 2017 till my wedding though. 

New bride

I received my wedding dress today from Sofie House.........stunning! I am so happy and relieved.  It is exactly as it showed in the picture and the exact size.  Absolutely perfect.  I was pretty nervous after I ordered and then read all the reviews.  I couldn't be happier. I do know that I am just one of a few good out comes but still, I needed to share and let others know that sometimes it's NIT too good to be true!!! 

New bride

Hi,

I received my wedding dress from Sofie today and although it's not the color I wanted it is beautiful. It's well done. The beading around the top is nice. The lace it pretty. The quality is very good. I was relieved and I was so scared when I ordered it because I thought it was a scam or I was going to get a cheap material. 

It came in a DHL package and was inside of one of those bags that you get with your purses for storage. It had tags on it and everything. I looked really good. 

My dress was a fit and flair Queen Anne. It's supposed to be the dress made by Midgley and Sottero. I ordered it on the 15th of May and got it on the 8th of June but they gave me a delivery date of the 12th when I placed the order. The only thing I did not like was the fit in the stomach/torso area. The fit was great where it flairs, it was great at the top but the stomach/gut area was a little too big. I probably could have been 4 months pregnant before it would fit BUT depending on your belly and the time you have that I'm sure is an easy fix.

When I say it was the wrong color the pic showed a pewter and ivory dress. It was, however, all ivory when I received it. It would be fine but I did not want an all white or ivory dress. 

I will DEFINITELY purchase from them again. Very good product for the price. I was worried for weeks on what it would look like.