Wedding fashion

Veil up or down while walking down the aisle?

1 to 14 of 14 posts

New bride

What are you guys going to do? I specifically bought a two-layered veil because my mum said I should wear it down whilst walking down the aisle, but I'm not sure. 

I'm worried I'll just feel like I'm at a fancy dress party! I already feel nervous about being the centre of attention all day! I'm also wondering if it feels a bit naff or dated, or is that just me?

On the other hand I sometimes think maybe I'd feel less nervous if my face was kind of covered just for that first long walk down the aisle (also I tend to blush really easily so it would help with that too). Plus it'll be my one chance to wear a veil ever, so maybe I ought to enjoy it.

Wedding addict

I'm going to buy a single tier veil. I was going to buy a 2 tier veil for the same reason of you only get to wear it once. However like you have said I felt like I would be doing fancy dress in stead of being dressed for my wedding so I've decided on a single tier so that I still get the veil and still get to feel like me instead of just doing it because its the only chance I get.

Bridezilla

You're mum probably is thinking back to what was fashionable in her generation. I've occasionally had to gently remind my mum that people don't do things like that any more and most of the weddings I go to now are different!

I'm in the camp of "when will I ever get to wear a veil again?", so I've got a two tier to wear over my face. It is very beautiful, and I love it! My fiancé also liked the idea of me in a veil, so it's partly for him. However, it tugs at my hair and also covers my beautiful hairstyle, so the veil will come off after the service.

The veil is definitely a personal choice. If you think it will make you uncomfortable, don't wear it, or wear it only as long as you want. If you really think it is a naff and outdated tradition, definitely don't do it!

Wedding addict

I'm going single layer only. I like the way it looks, and it softens my dress a bit in an appropriate way for the church!

However, I don't feel the need to be unveiled and handed over to my husband like a virginal chattel, so no veil over my face. Plus, hair and makeup...!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/mrs-lytton-2019/485995.html

Bridezilla

I also have a double tier veil but not wearing it over my face. I'd feel a bit weird. But there's no right or wrong way

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/newcastle-wedding-november-2018/454464.html

Bridezilla

I'm Catholic, but there's no requirement to wear a veil over your face at church - or to wear one at all.  As already stated, if and how you wear a veil is a personal choice. I agree with the sentiment that this is your one and only chance to wear a veil, so if you think you might want to, def go for it. Most people swap it out for something else at the reception just out of practicality.

As far as wearing it over the face, I'm not really a fan. Maybe it's vanity, but I wouldn't want my down-the-aisle pictures to just show my dress and a wash of white over my face. I love the pictures where the 'tog captures all the emotions of the bride as she walks, from getting choked up to beaming and everything in between!

Bridezilla

Both can look really beautiful, but personally I think it's nice for your other half to be able to see your face as you walk towards them. My H2B asked me not to wear a veil that covers my face as he wants to see me, which is fine because I didn't want that anyway, partly for that reason. 

But I'm sure it will be lovely either way :).

Cecilia x

My planning thread : http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/relaxed-summer-wedding-in-the-chilterns/454084.html

Bridezilla

I won't be wearing a veil over my face, I think that's quite old fashioned now and I prefer everyone to be able to see my face. We have a child together so it would also be somewhat ridiculous! I've already not got a white dress so people can't make snide comments about wearing a white dress when you have kids!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

I'm amazed that people still wear a veil over their face to be honest... I find it to be rather a grotesque tradition (hide your face so that groom cant run away before you get to him) but that might just be me.

Bridezilla

I'll be wearing a single tier, I prefer them and it looks better with my dress. My friend had a double tier but didn't cover her face. I'd prefer to have my face not covered and be able to make proper eye contact with people as I walk down the aisle. As Kitty said, you get so many lovely emotions to capture at that moment of the day, it seems a shame to me to mask that but each to their own. I love veils and am equally excited about wearing one as I am my dress but, you do you, whatever you like and feel comfortable with, for your own reasons, is what is best.

Bridezilla

Zara, don't forget the evil spirits! "Flammeum" were worn in Roman times to hide a bride's face to protect her from evil spirits, but probably more likely because people who objected to the union wanted to stop her getting to the wedding - apparently also why we have bridesmaids and groomsmen to act as guards and decoys!

We mainly have Queen Vic to blame for the current fashion of wearing veils - veils were worn (both for weddings and normal) in classical Rome then stretching across Europe into the medieval times, but they fell out of fashion by the Tudor era. It was only Queen V's insistence on wearing one that made them popular again, but only for brides at weddings.

So, in a way, the current trend of wearing a veil is due to a woman's choice not to follow the current fashions!

I get why people think it outdated, though, like the bride being given away or the woman automatically taking the man's surname. So many wedding traditions have dodgy or patriarchal origins (and you could say the same about marriage itself) that I think it is positive that brides now have such a large input into choosing what traditions they want to keep and what ones they wouldn't touch with a barge pole!

Bridezilla

Alice131 wrote (see post):

What are you guys going to do? I specifically bought a two-layered veil because my mum said I should wear it down whilst walking down the aisle, but I'm not sure. 

I'm worried I'll just feel like I'm at a fancy dress party! I already feel nervous about being the centre of attention all day! I'm also wondering if it feels a bit naff or dated, or is that just me?

On the other hand I sometimes think maybe I'd feel less nervous if my face was kind of covered just for that first long walk down the aisle (also I tend to blush really easily so it would help with that too). Plus it'll be my one chance to wear a veil ever, so maybe I ought to enjoy it.

I’m not going to be much help in answering your question - I don't particularly like veils and only considered having one because they were ‘done‘ thing but just couldn’t wear something that didn’t feel like me. Having said that, I didn’t want to miss out on all the fun of those dramatic veil pics either and decided I wanted a cape-veil instead. My mum was quite against the idea at first and wanted me to go for something more traditional. Me being me, I chose what I wanted and couldn't happier with my decision! Since seeing my veil-cape on with my dress, my mum hasn’t questioned it since. Long story short, you you do and try not to let other people’s opinions sway you.