Weddings abroad

Any advice on getting your wedding dress on the plane???

1 to 20 of 23 posts

Wedding addict

Hi,

I need some help!! So many different shops have told me different things about packing my dress etc. I do not want to 'check' my dress, as I will worry for the whole flight!! I have rung thomsons and they say it must be packed into the hand luggage size!! help!! has anyone flown with thomsons for there wedding? Or is anyone flying with thomsons, what are you plans???

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks

New bride

Hi hu8n im flying with thomson for our wedding and im putting my wedding dress in a pull along case which fits hand luggage sizes.
The sizes are 55x40x20.
xx

Wedding addict

I used a Wedding Dress Travel Box that fit the dimensions of allowed hand luggage (I didn't go with Thompson though), as I was worried about my small suitcase not being clean enough, and it worked really well. A suitcase would have been just as fine, I'm sure, but the box had "My Wedding Dress" written in huge pink letters on the side, leaving nobody in doubt as to what it contained and warning people to be extra careful!

Bridezilla

that's quite cool - where did you buy the box? how much was it?

New bride

hiya hun,

I travelled to turkey with thomson airlines in June. The bridal shop packed my dress in a hand luggage pull along case. Check the dimensions on the internet, they are quite generous compared to other airlines, my dress was a tradtional wedding dress with hoop and it all fit in perfectly. I rang the airline before travel and stated i would be taking my wedding dress and they put a note on our booking. All the stress of how much it weighed and the check in desk hardly even glanced at it! As soon as we got there i hung my dress up in my mums room and there wasnt a crease to be seen

My only advise would be pay the money to get it packed professionally, well worth the £20!

Have a brilliant wedding x

New bride

2nd piece of advise, put a luggage label on your case saying WEEDING DRESS with name and your MOBILE NUMBER (and keep yourr mobile on your person)along with all other details. Its all so exciting when you get to the airport and your wedding day is FINALLY here that its easy to leave it by the dior counter in duty free!!!there are wise words of advise given to me by a lady who had this experience xxx

Wedding addict

All great advice!! Thanks ladies!! Feeling a little more confident now!!

Fiorentinauk ... Where did you get this box?? I've seen a number of places doing 'them' on the net!! But to use someone recommended will be much better!!

Thanks x

Wedding addict

Bridetobe, the link I posted above is where I bought the box, I paid straight away and it arrived very quickly, within 2 days I think, so I can definitely recommend this seller.
Just make sure that the dimensions are within the hand luggage limit of your airline.

Wedding addict

OK so i ordered my dress yesterday!! I just have the issue that the shop say it won't fit in hand luggage size and I don't want to 'check' it! The shop says just take it in a big bag thing over my arm, but i rang Thomsons and this isn't allowed!! The shop say they won't refuse me on the plane but what if they do??? help??? x

Bridezilla

I would NOT leave it to chance.

The shop are not the airline and i would only go on what the airline say!

I have seen some pretty big dresses fitted into hand luggage boxes.

New bride

Hiya,

I`m flying with thomsons and have bought the wedding dress box from ebay, it is the correct dimensions for hand luggage guidelines with thomsons and you can have the writing in various colours. I really would recommend the seller as it was great service, and it looks fab! I can`t wait to carry mine through the airport!!

It does come with instructions on how to pack your dress into it if the bridal shop won`t do it for you.

Wedding addict

Mrstobekenya11 - what box did you get off ebay and how big is your dress?? Are you packing yours yourself??

Maybe i do have to pack it myself!! I do not fancy taking the risk of not getting on the plane or my dress not getting on!! thanks

Bridezilla

After reading this last week I ordered my box from eBay (linked above) and it has just arrived!

I'm so excited I've been skipping around the house with it! LOVE the purple bow and writing on the front. Nobody will be in doubt at the airport that I'm carrying my wedding dress!!!

good recommendation Fiorentinauk
Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life

Bridezilla

I also took mine in a pretty box with pink writting on.

My shop also said it will get just as creased if it was hung as it would in the box and to be honest, after 20 hours of travelling there were hardly any creases anyway!

Speak to your airline though and check.

Wedding addict

nessynoo, glad to have been of help. my dress has finally gone off to the cleaners but the box is still in my living room and i smile every time i see it.
bridetobe, do not listen to everything the bridal shop tells you, half the time you wonder if they know what they are doing! i had one lady in the shop i bought my dress from telling me that it had to be pressed NOT steamed only to then read the label on the dress that said "steaming only, NO pressing"!! if the airline says they won't accept the dress in a clothes bag get a box or a small suitcase, maybe if it has lots of petticoats etc you could pack those separately?

Wedding addict

I got married in August in Italy through Thomsons. I bought a wedding dress travel box (maxi size) from the empty box company and carried my dress on as hand luggage. The dress was perfect at the other end!

Bridezilla

i bought a box to carry my dress on board the plane from ebay too! its gorgeous and they can personalise it to include name, date of wedding, place of ceremony!
it was 25pound including delivery and worth every penny! xx

New bride

I am worried about this also..... i called the shop where i got my dress and asked how much it weighed as i was taking this on a flight in hand luggage and cannot be anymore than 5kg.... the response i got was yeah it will be fine! as if she couldnt be bothered! ..... eh no i asked how much it weighed not ur guess as to whether it will be fine or not!
im going to call them again tomorrow and tell them im coming down to weigh my dress..... dont trust them.
my dress is the alfred angelo 1136 so its quite heavy and i am worried i wont be allowed on with it.... x

New bride

Does anyone remember the seller names on ebay for these boxes? I am travelling with Thomson Airways and I have been looking at a box from boxofmemories on ebay...£17.50 plus postage....
Any advice would be great....looking at the box I cant see my hoop fitting in aswell...hope so x