06/03/2009 at 08:06
Hi

Me and my partner have decided to get married in Antigua next September. I am wondering if it is better and wiser to go through a travel agent using their co-ordinator etc or is it better to book it all yourself via the hotel etc??????

I am just thinking of cost and where we could save some money but also i am worried if i do it on my own and something goes wrong it is all lost?

I was originally thinking of booking with Virgin as they seem to be cheaper.

Any advice/tip/help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks x
06/03/2009 at 10:54
Hi,

I can only comment on booking with a travel agent...We get married in 39 days (YEAY!) and booked with Thomas Cook. We are flying to Mexico and wanted a simple, inexpensive package, so our wedding was free when we booked our hotel (which was expensive!).

I was expecting to get all the info I needed in a pack or from the travel agents, but to be honest they are pretty hopeless. Great for the basic booking of flights etc, but not so hot on the details (like cost of flowers, photographers etc)...However you get round this by emailing the hotel directly and communicating with their wedding planner directly. Ours has been fabulous, very on the ball, and is prompting me for info she wants and needs so that everything is organised before we even get there, which is great.

By doing this I can budget for all the extras up front (we are having Photos & DVD), and know what will be happening on the day. It's been pretty easy (fingers crossed)

hope this helps

;\)
06/03/2009 at 11:09
39 DAYS Wow bet your excited!!!

Great tip for Hotel Bookings !

Where in Mexico are you getting married? I went a few years ago were doing a cruise around the mexican riveria as part of our honeymoon I can't wait!! x
06/03/2009 at 12:18
Hi Missy P,
We also thought about booking it ourselves (we're getting married in Paphos, Cyprus) but like you we want someone in the area to sort things out for us if anything goes wrong. Because of this we've gone with a wedding planner in Cyprus, rather than doing it on our own and through a travel agent. Also, I don't have first hand experience but there's a posting on here from one bride who's after having a horrendous experience with Thomas Cook so just be wary!
Does the hotel you're getting married in have a wedding coordinator? If so it should be fairly reliable, otherwise you could just google wedding planners in Antigua.
Hope this helps and good luck with the planning!
Caitf x!
06/03/2009 at 14:19
Hi - we have gone through a wedding planner from white sand weddings - she has been brilliant!! cant fault them so far - did think about going direct but worried that if something went wrong we wouldnt be able to do anything about it if the resort messed something up, who would be complain to? the resort? they could make things difficult - if you can see what I mean!!!
06/03/2009 at 15:05
Make sure you check the seasons for hurricanes, mosquitoes etc! Something I didn't do lol! x
07/03/2009 at 05:19
Quoted:
Make sure you check the seasons for hurricanes, mosquitoes etc! Something I didn't do lol! x

Hi

Did you get married in Antigua? When did you go? x
07/03/2009 at 05:21
Quoted:
Hi Missy P,
We also thought about booking it ourselves (we're getting married in Paphos, Cyprus) but like you we want someone in the area to sort things out for us if anything goes wrong. Because of this we've gone with a wedding planner in Cyprus, rather than doing it on our own and through a travel agent. Also, I don't have first hand experience but there's a posting on here from one bride who's after having a horrendous experience with Thomas Cook so just be wary!
Does the hotel you're getting married in have a wedding coordinator? If so it should be fairly reliable, otherwise you could just google wedding planners in Antigua.
Hope this helps and good luck with the planning!
Caitf x!

Hi

Sounds fab. Did you book your hotel/flights with travel agent and then choose your wedding planner yourselves? or did your travel agent help with you finding a wedding co-ordinator?

Thanks x
07/03/2009 at 05:31
Hi,
Haven't gone through a travel agent at all. Not getting married until next April so can't book the flights yet but we're heading out in a month to finalise reception venue etc & just booked cheap flights on the internet. We also booked our accommodation on the internet. However we have been contacted by a travel agent who works with our wedding planner and, for the ease of our guests we're going to talk to them about putting travel/accommodation packages together for next year.
Regarding our wedding coordinator, we just trawled the internet, sent off e-mails of enquiry and then sifted through what we thought sounded like the best offers/packages & most reliable. It does sound like a bit of work but I've enjoyed it...it makes it that much more interesting!
Also, I've found this wedding forum very helpful, if you're wondering or in doubt about anything, chances are there's someone on here who can help in some way or has some experience.
Good luck with it all!! Any questions you know where we all are x!
07/03/2009 at 13:25
Hey SunnyCyprus,

Yep we are pretty giddy! can't wait to relax and enjoy it...the we have the reception to look forward to when we get back. We are getting married at Aventura Spa btw x
07/03/2009 at 13:48
hi
to be honest,i would go through the hotel.
i booked my wedding through a tour operator,and they are a rip off,you get a better deal direct through the hotel,and it is cheaper,wish i had done it that way,would of saved loads of hassle-have you spoken to the hotel/looked at what deals there are?
17/03/2009 at 11:47
Hi, I have just got engaged and we want to get married abroad, there are a few locations that i need to look into - but going from what i have read - doing it yourself seems to be the best option? I am training to be an event planner so want to try and do it myself.

Any tips of good companies to approach for Caribbean/Italy or Greece??? I have seen some but not many testimonials to go on......

Thanks
L x
18/03/2009 at 03:41
Hi Missy P,

We too are getting married in Anitgua in September. We have chosen the resort of Bluewaters who have their own wedding co-ordinator out there.

We have booked the actual holiday with Thomas Cook and fly with Virgin. We have had little involvement with Thomas Cook really as most of the organising is done whilst you are out there. They have just asked us what date we wanted to get married on and whether wehave any special requests that need to be arranged prior to us going.

There was another bride on YAYW who got married in the same resort as us and she explained to me how the preparation goes at our particular resort, but I should imagine it is all very similar around the island. You will just find different resorts offer different packages thats all. You get certain things included (depending on what tour operator you book with) such as a little cake, flowers, button holes, champagne etc and then you can pay for extras such as more photograghs, wedding video, steel band, catamaran cruise etc.

As I understand it when we get out there we will meet with the wedding co-ordinator who will go through all the different options we want and will take us into the Capital to get all the documents sorted.

You dont really have to get off your sun lounger!!!!!

September is hurricane season in the Caribbean but were chancing it! I have heard that the mossies can be quite pesky to but then people have recommended what sprays to use (I think the best ones are ones which have deet in them. and you can get it from camping shops....but not 100% sure on that!).

Hope that helps you a little bit. Its nice to see another possible Antiguan bride on here!

Abi
21/03/2009 at 02:18
hi laura
ive done mine myself through a resort in jamaica.i booked a basic wedding package(theres only the 2 of us) and accomodation.
i then had a list of extras i wanted(wedding arch etc)and i buy one a week.they also sort out all the paper work for you.
i found our resort on trip advisor and e mailed people who had put reviews about their wedding on there to ask them questions.
21/03/2009 at 08:10
Quoted:
Hi, I have just got engaged and we want to get married abroad, there are a few locations that i need to look into - but going from what i have read - doing it yourself seems to be the best option? I am training to be an event planner so want to try and do it myself.

Any tips of good companies to approach for Caribbean/Italy or Greece??? I have seen some but not many testimonials to go on......

Thanks
L x

If you're getting married in Italy, did you know that Romeo and Juliet's balcony can now be used as a venue. For me, that would be one of the most romantic wedding venues ever!

You can get more info here - http://theweddingvine.com/content/most-romantic-wedding-venue-ever
24/03/2009 at 14:01
Hi,
Im getting married in malta next year. i looked at travel agents but there didnt seem to be enough info regarding reception and all the little extras that makes the day special. i am booking with a wedding planner that is in malta. so far he has been brilliant and we have been out to meet him in feb too. i just googled wedding planners in malta. dream days is sorting out all the arrangements for the day and finding info on price of hotels for us and guests. so we are booking everything except the flights through the wedding planner. i have spoken to other girls who have booked through travel agents and dont seem to know a lot about the wedding until they get to malta. i would be too scared to do this, mind you i LOVE all the planning, it gets me excited for the big day!
Your say
email image

Which online planning tools would you find useful?