Weddings abroad

Where can I get legally married on a beach?

21 to 26 of 26 posts

New bride

Hi hun if you dont wanna travel that far and planning on staying in Europe then the Algarve in Portugal is the place to go, the Algarve has won the international award as best European destination this year with over 300 sunny days a year and golden beaches and only 2,5hours flight away from most Northern European Countries. Here you can legally get married on the beach and the portuguese authorities through their local registry office will issue a legal international marriage certificate that allows you to change your name back in the UK and officially be a married couple recognised by the UK law as well. Let me know if you would like any extra info, best of luck with the planning wherever you choose to marry ;) Dave xx

Wedding addict

Mexico you can get married on the beaches there. I am getting married in June on the beach in our resort.

We were given many options where to do the ceremony but the beach stood out as it is different.

I was reading through and saw Croatia mensioned a few times, we were actually looking at going for a mini break. And after reading I think I am defenatly going to do more research into it. Thanks! 

New bride

Dave26 wrote (see post):

Hi hun if you dont wanna travel that far and planning on staying in Europe then the Algarve in Portugal is the place to go, the Algarve has won the international award as best European destination this year with over 300 sunny days a year and golden beaches and only 2,5hours flight away from most Northern European Countries. Here you can legally get married on the beach and the portuguese authorities through their local registry office will issue a legal international marriage certificate that allows you to change your name back in the UK and officially be a married couple recognised by the UK law as well. Let me know if you would like any extra info, best of luck with the planning wherever you choose to marry ;) Dave xx

Hi Dave, Thanks for this - I've been to Portugal before but hadn't even considered this - silly me!  Wow!  That's great that you can legally get married on a beach - have you or someone you know done this? Are there any specific sources you can recommend to get more info?

New bride

Angelamay87 wrote (see post):

Mexico you can get married on the beaches there. I am getting married in June on the beach in our resort.

We were given many options where to do the ceremony but the beach stood out as it is different.

I was reading through and saw Croatia mensioned a few times, we were actually looking at going for a mini break. And after reading I think I am defenatly going to do more research into it. Thanks! 

I'd wondered about Mexico! In an ideal world we'd get married on a deserted tropical beach surrounded by our loved ones... unfortunately most of our nearest and dearest wouldn't be able to afford an international flight, so we've been forced to look somewhere nearer to home - we just couldn't get married without them there.

Can I ask though, where are you getting married?! And did you organise your wedding direct with the resort or go through an agent?

We went to Croatia last July (we actually got engaged a few days after coming back!), and we absolutely fell in love with it... ok sandy beaches are in short supply but the food and drink is stunning, as is the weather and if you go to somewhere like Dubrovnik the architecture is stunning.  We took a trip to Lokrum island for the day and it was sublime.  We only went a week, but wished we'd gone for two.  A mini break is definitely do-able - only 2 hr flight from Luton Airport.  We also found the place we stayed in through airbnb, which was really unique and having a local host to talk to about restaurant and places to visit was a great help! They even took us out for the day to a vineyard to do some wine tasting - amazing! If you'd like any tips or suggestions of places to research do just yell :)

We're thinking of going back this year for a wedding recce and will be looking at the islands off the coast of Dubronik - Kolocep, Lopud & Sipan probably :)

Wedding addict

That sounds great, I want to go go to dubrovnk  (mainly because some of game of thrones is filmed there) and have been looking into it the past few weeks for a mini break, I would like to travel a bit more in the next few years.

We are getting married in riveria maya at the hard rock hacienda but we are staying in heaven the adults only part.

I booked through thomas cook and they have been great, we booked the initial 2 week holiday and then added on the free wedding package. Its a simple one but I am looking to add some colour but there is only 6 guests at the moment so do not want to go too over the top. 

New bride

Angelamay87 wrote (see post):

That sounds great, I want to go go to dubrovnk  (mainly because some of game of thrones is filmed there) and have been looking into it the past few weeks for a mini break, I would like to travel a bit more in the next few years.

We are getting married in riveria maya at the hard rock hacienda but we are staying in heaven the adults only part.

I booked through thomas cook and they have been great, we booked the initial 2 week holiday and then added on the free wedding package. Its a simple one but I am looking to add some colour but there is only 6 guests at the moment so do not want to go too over the top. 

Ah yes, you can't really miss the Game of Thrones connection - its everywhere. We did a game of thrones walking tour, but as it was our anniversary & our first day there, we decided to splash out and do a private tour - just us two & the guide for a few hours, it helped to get our bearings, a bit of local history & current affairs and to pick the guides brain on other places to go. There are however absolutely loads of group walking tours which don't require pre-booking. Would definitely recommend doing a tour as they will take you round lots of the GoT locations. Recommend doing it early morning (before it gets too hot/crowded) or after 4pm (thats when most of the cruise ships leave so the old town isn't as busy). 

That sounds really lovely & intimate.  Go for it with the colour - its a special day after all.

I will look the venue up :) I hadn't even thought of Thomas Cook doing weddings, love to hear how it all goes :)