Your DIY ideas

Hot Chocolate/Sweet Treats Bar

1 to 20 of 34 posts

Bridezilla

Hello Ladies,

I'm getting Married on the 16th of Nov 2013 and have been of a few wintery ideas!

I was thinking of making Hot Chocolate station and incorpoting that with a sweetie bar type of thing??,,although I would like to do this part myself, I think I will need the help of the hotel for the hot water part but they seem really flexible to whatever I want so that's good!

Was thinking instead of the normal sweeties you get at sweetie bars I was thinking more along the lines of Hot Chocolate toppings! Lots of Marshmallows, maybe the make my own marshmallows dipped in things (like the pops you get in starbucks) along that sort of lines but easy to make as I'm not the best baker! Maybe some nice baked goods?

Whew,,, after that ramble I guess I'm asking you lovely ladies what you think or if you have any ideas or recipes that might work?

Thank you!!

Bridezilla

I think this is a fab idea! don't forget whipped cream, you can also make different flavoured cream? or flavoured sugar, like almond/ hazelnut/ orange flavour? along the same idea, flavoured syrups, peppermint is lovely in hot chocolate! If it's for adults you might also want to put some liquers, baileys, whiskey and brandy are all lovely in hot chocolate.

also brownies/ blondies, cookies, muffins would all go down really well. i love this idea! your guests will be very impressed! x 

Bridezilla

Cake pops are quite easy to do especially if you decorate them in hundreds and thousands, hobby craft do lollipop heart shaped moulds which you could use as stirrers, may be tunnocks snowball cakes. It depends how much you want to do but I think it's a great idea

Bridezilla

Thanks Ladies,

I've just had a google and found marshmallow's with pepermint sticks, think these look really cute!

Think I might need to have a trip to hobby craft as well,,, maybe have a few baking test runs,,, not so good for the dress diet though!

Love the brownies and blondies, they would be perfect! Dont know how I forgot about bailey etc and whipped cream, there really is quite a lot I could do.

Keep the ideas coming!! xx

Bridezilla

Try again! x

Bridezilla

make sure whatever you think od doing you test as to when is best to do them, you might find that last week you are rushing about all over and dont want to do too much running around. some things, like im sure brownies, can be done quite far in advance  with the right recepie so test test test, leave a few wrapped in your fridge for a week and see how they do

also a couple of years back my mum got us a set of different hot chocs from wittards i think, there was mint ones, chili ones, caramel ones, all sorts, might be worth looking at to liven it all up a bit.

maybe also think about fudge, flavoured fudge as they really last and will be lovely if its getting cold. im just thinking about whats around bonfires night to warm you up as its close

Bridezilla

Thanks Nats2013,,I think I will def have to test run, I'm sure my family and work friends wont mind the left overs!

The Fudge would be great,, maybe even tablet as it's a bit more Scottish and my other half loves it, saying that you could prob play around with the flavours there too.

I'm all excited by these ideas! xx

Bridezilla

Ginger bread! This will last ages in an airtight tub!

When we went to the christmas markets last year they were doing Hot milk, then you bought a flavored chocolate stick that you could swirl into the hot milk to make the Hot Choc. These could be cool, and would also prob keep really well in an airtight tub!

http://candy.about.com/od/christmascandy/r/Hot-Chocolate-On-A-Stick.htm

Also, if your looking at doing cake pops, I just bought my niece a Cake Pop maker (looks similar to a sandwich toaster!) for christmas from Tesco, only cost £10, but I exchanged clubcard vouchers and got it for free! I cant find it online, but it was instore - just down the electrical asile-by the kettles and toasters!

Good luck, your idea sounds amazing! xx

Bridezilla

How weird! I was looking at a hot chocolate bar earlier today, I LOVED the idea and saved the pic - 

Bridezilla

Hi MrsMcG2be,

Thats the exact picture i have on my pinterest! Loving the idea more and more!

Mandy503

Gingerbread of course! Maybe i could get cute little star cutters or could go mad with icing and decorate them too

xx

Bridezilla

Hi again ladies,

Just thought I would bump this thread a little.

Been thinking how I would present this,,,, I've been randomly buying nice cut glass dishes and bowls from TK MAXX and inquring about the sweet treats! Awaiting a reply from 'the marshmallow lady' who is meant to be amazing!

But my thoughts are more on how do I serve the hot chocolate? When I first discussed it with my venue, they offered hot metal hot water canisters with the tap (sorry not sure what you call them) then I would have different kinds of hot chocolate in little bowls which guests would mix themselves?

A bit concerned how would this work? Would it not be a bit messy? x

Bridezilla

Hi there missus!! Hmmm I think you are right in that it does have the potential to be a bit messy - but when would you be proposing to serve the hot chocolate etc. if it is at night then it's probably not going to make anymore mess than the typical buffet would? And it's such a cute and quirky idea that I think mess might just be an awkward but totally liveable side effect?

Also - just read the whole thread and noticed the gingerbread idea - had you thought about gingerbread shortbread? Would be another wee Scottish touch? xx

Bridezilla

Hey toad!

Good point, it is going to be messy no matter what! It would have been nice to have it pre-made so people didn't have to spoon it out and mix themselves, but if not I'm sure it will be fine in little bowls, that's how all the pics on pinterest have it anyway.

Was thinking of having it open from after the meal, or maybe even from the start (like the sweetie carts) So people could pick bits when they liked

Oh I love that idea! I've been struggling to think where to get all my baked treats, can you think of anywhere that would do that sort of thing? yumm,,, I love shortbread!

I was thinking of making it myself but it might be too much on the run up! x

Bridezilla

If I was having a winter wedding, this is the bar I wanted to have, but we ended up deciding on a summer date. I agree with nats - whittards hot chocolate is amazing, if not cadburys or you could use actually chocolate melted into milk. My favourite whittards hot chocolate was coconut but I think they have stopped doing it!

I think shortbread and gingerbread sound lovely, maybe have some baileys for the adults to add and syrups for the children (e.g. hazelnut, caramel).  Hopefully the picture will give you some good ideas too

Bridezilla

Hi Maddieh!

Thanks, yeah I thought it woud go perfect for when we pop out with sparklers and to watch the fireworks,, going to buy some disposable corrogated cups, warm people up!

I def want different flavours of hot chocolate so might have to google this whittards! Actually had some hazelbut flavoured hot chocolate last night and it was lovely!x

Bridezilla

Just looked up the Whittards hot chocolate,,, they look great! So many options!

Think maybe I could leave them in the tubs they come in since they are pretty nice?

So many options! These ones look great

Luxury hot chocolate

Caramel hot chocolate

Luxury white hot chocolate

Creme Brulee hot chocolate

Banoffe hot chocolate

Strawberry White Hot Chocolate,,,,, mint,,,, orange,,,, ginger,,,the list goes on!

http://www.whittard.co.uk/hot_chocolate

x

Bridezilla

Ooo gosh they have new flavours since I last bought some! Banoffe sounds yummy! So jealous of winter weddings, I keep seeing so many lovely ideas. I can't remember who it was but someone was having a desert bar in the style of a christmas market stall or something like that- it sounded heavenly! Sparklers are a lovely idea too! I may just have to steal it Have you got a planning thread? x

Bridezilla

Oooh what a fab idea, I've seen these on pinterest and I think the way you're doing it would be the best way. I saw this but not sure about the safety aspect of having it in a glass container? 

Whatever you decide to do it'll be such a nice touch (and treat!) for your guests especially during the fireworks and I love the suggestion above for ginger shortbread yum yum xx

Bridezilla

I know! Dont know how I will choose, they all sounds so yummy!

maddieh there are no rules nowadays! I'm sure anything you want for a winter wedding you could have in the summer? Teeny changes to make it summery! when is your big day?

No, I've toyed with doing a planning thread but the girls ones on here are so good! I might do one closer to,, or maybe just a report! Do you have one?

Hi MrsH2013,,, Thank you! Pinterest is where I first seen it! Love the look of the glass jar although now I'm liking the those cute little Whittards tubs!

I hope it's a good treat for my guests,,, just been looking up white/milk chocolate shavings,,,, and mini fudge pieces! Making myself hungry in the process! haha x