Your planning threads

A long time coming.....Our Vegas Wedding, 30th July 2018

1 to 20 of 170 posts

Bridezilla

I've really enjoyed reading the planning threads, I wasn't going to write my own as I don't really have very much to plan but yesterday I bought my shoes and I think they deserve to be shown off!

The Beginning.....

Mr.D and I met some years ago when we were in our early twenties, I used to go drinking with my cousins and he was a friend of theirs. We used to have a laugh together and I was always hoping for more but he was in the Navy and travelled a lot, I also think a girl in every port was very appropriate at that time! Fast forward nearly 20 years and we'd both married and divorced other people. I'd moved towns and was out for a walk with my son one day and who should I bump into but Mr.D! And that as they say was that, we saw each other regularly and he stuck by me through my never ending awful divorce. 

Bridezilla

The Proposal......

Four years on and we were living in Tenerife with my son, I'd mentioned getting married a few times but he'd been quite clear he didn't want to marry again. Sometimes it would upset me thinking about it but he'd made his feelings clear and I knew he didn't want to discuss it further. We'd made the decision to move back home for my son who was struggling at school but before we left we decided to climb from sea level to the very top of Mount Teide. This was supposed to be a trip for Mr.D and my son but Mr.D was very insistent that I went too. 
It took 2 days to complete, on the second night we stayed at the refuge halfway up Mount Teide. It was freezing and very very basic. I'd got so cold and was pretty fed up as I knew we didn't have adequate clothing for the final bit of the journey. 
We set off at 4.30am for the final assent, it was pitch black and we had torches to find our way, the sky was full of stars which was just so beautiful and it kept me going. 
We didn't have any gloves so my son and I were wearing socks on our hands! We reached the top just before sunrise so had 10/15 minutes to wait, it was so so cold! 
As the sun came up we decided to head back down and it was then that Mr.D gave my son a special explorers watch for making it to the top, by this time my son was so cold he just wanted to get down. Mr.D was still rummaging in his back pack and I was getting ratty with him😐
Then he was suddenly on his knee asking my to marry him! I was so shocked, I think through my tears I said 'really?' And of course yes! My son was grinning like a loony as he was in on it.

A few photos from the journey to the top and the sunrise.

Bridezilla

The Ring.......

Now, when Mr.D produced the ring I have to admit it was quite a shock but not necessarily for the right reasons! He put it on my finger and once I'd finished crying/laughing I said 'you don't seriously expect me to where that?!' 😂
He assured me then that he'd had a real ring made and it was in the UK under safe keeping. 
Here is the ring he proposed with😀
No idea why it's on its side! When he bought it he told the girl he was going to propose and asked if she thought it was a nice ring! He said she didn't know what to say😂
Here is the upgraded ring❤

Bridezilla

😂 that ring, I think Id be speechless, gorgeous location though, Id like to climb a mountain but Im not outdoorsy enough and would be a ratty cow the whole time.

Wedding addict

That proposal is so sweet, love that he included your little boy! The proposal ring is quite something 😅 looking forward to hearing more and seeing the shoes you want to show off!

Bridezilla

That proposal is lovely. I love the ring - it shows the humour that you have in your relationship which is really special. X

Bridezilla

Lovely proposal :) I shall look forward to your thread, my fellow Vegas bride! 

Bridezilla

Fab proposal! Love that your son was in on it! Crikey, the ring is something else! Your h2b has a wicked sense of humour. X 

Planning Thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/shabby-chic-park---march-2018-wedding/430905.html

Bridezilla

Love the proposal story and how far back the two of you go. Wonderful that he gets on with your son so well! And the upgraded ring, wow!! Can't wait to read more :)

Bridezilla

The Venue

The proposal was at the end of last year so we didn't think about the wedding itself until well into February. We knew it had to be during the school holidays due to my son and soon to be nephew. We considered a few options, a cruise, I've been on a couple of cruises and really enjoyed them and I thought it would be nice to married on the cruise. Mr.D wasn't so keen so we ruled that out. Then I suggested we get married closer to his family in Newcastle but again we ruled this out. 
We had been talking about a road trip in America from Vegas to New York. A couple of years ago we'd done a similar trip on a Harley from LA to San Fran and onto Vegas. We'd enjoyed it so much and wanted to do another route but this time with my son so no Harley. 
Mr.D suggested we marry in Vegas, I liked the idea but was worried he'd want to be married by Elvis! He's a huge Elvis fan but luckily he said there was no way he'd want that, phew! 
He said if we were marrying in Vegas then it had to be at The Bellagio in front of the fountains. If you haven't been the fountains are amazing, I was totally blown away when I first saw them, it's hard to explain just how spectacular they are. 
Anyway from there I was quickly emailing the Bellagio and with the help of Araceli our wedding planner we soon booked our wedding for July 30th 2018. 

Bridezilla

And here is a picture of our venue. I am worried about the heat, Vegas in July will be hot hot hot! For this reason we chose the latest time slot of the day which is 4pm And although it's outside the service is quite short. They do offer later times but it's quite expensive as it's classed as out of hours. Also I want to spend as much time in my dress as possible! 

Bridezilla

Love the Bellagio fountains! It's going to be super hot in July but like you say, the ceremony will be short and you'll be back in the air conditioning in no time! 

Bridezilla

Also do you have The Knot app? It's really good for helping to find and shortlist suppliers and you can contact them directly through the app

Bridezilla

Who To Invite?!!

This was quite hard and it's still an ongoing conversation although I have just ordered some invites but more on those later.
Before we booked we spoke to Mr.Ds sister and husband and they said right away that they'd come. MrDs bil is a poker player and frequently goes to Vegas. So we booked our date to tie in with them and their son.
They were the easy ones! I have a difficult relationship with my family so although I think I will invite them I doubt they'll come. However I did tell my best friend at the weekend and she and her husband said they'd love to come so I'm thrilled at that!
MrD is also planning to invite some friends. We will be sending the invites out as soon as they arrive, hopefully by the end of the month. Although we have over a year we appreciate it's a big expense and want to give anyone that wants to come the opportunity to save.