Your planning threads

A somewhat higgledy piggledy planning thread

61 to 76 of 76 posts

Wedding addict

In the words of Dr Seuss (I think)...

The people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter.

Words to live by, not just for weddings. (Also, my best friend from school got married in the town hall and had the reception in a pub. It was a fabulous do. Truly.)

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/mrs-lytton-2019/485995.html

Bridezilla

How exciting that you nearly have a decision on venue.  Maybe get some quotes from venue dressers so you can look at the overall cost comparison as these things do add up quickly.

I'll just add in here that I am also and 'older' bride at 38 and totally get what you say about looking at sites and thinking I'm not cool enough.  We got knocked back by two videographers for not meeting their requirements (well one I didn't send too as I though I'm not explaining who I am and being judged).  

I still haven't made it to Alty market yet, we went to Mackie Mayor the other week though and loved it.

x

Bridezilla

We are getting married in a pub and no one has told us we are weird or cheap yet 😂 We also agreed we'd feel silly fannying about in a stately home/castle, we're very down to earth people and we'll feel much more comfortable in the pub.

Seriously though, that is a fantastic deal price wise, I'd bite their hand off!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

As a guest I'd be keen to go to a pub too! Nice to go somewhere different and possibly a little more relaxed.

Wedding addict

So I went ahead and booked The Plough today. 

whoooooo, we have a venue and a date - 22nd December 2019. 

I had exact ten minutes lunch break today to phone them, cram a sandwich in my mouth and try and fit a wee in somewhere but still felt compelled to get it booked there and then. I’m sure it would have been fine to wait till after we’d seen the other venues at the weekend, but we’d pretty much decided and this morning I just woke up with the feeling I had to get it booked. Registrar tomorrow! 

It feels a bit surreal, I still wonder if x/y/z would have been better but when we came out of The Plough on Sunday and they didn’t have our October date which I thought meant we couldn’t have it there, I cried. I’ve been really attracted and loved the idea of all the venues we’ve seen for different reasons, but I was super invested in The Plough and it just feels right. 

Reading reviews from people who got married there and they’re super positive which is really nice too. I can’t get over how good the deal is, I‘m so ready for a catch! 

22nd December - are we insane? 

Very probably! But the people I simply couldn’t get married without (sisters, nieces and nephews, aunt, best friends, R’s parents) are all ok with it, so even if no one else comes it’ll be wonderful. 

But hey, remember the title of the thread? Of course it’s still a bit higgledy, because we have our fertility appointment in a week and a half, so we will wait to book any other suppliers or do save the dates etc, probably till Jan, just till we know if they’re going to offer any treatment and what form that may take. Our deposit with The Plough is transferable to another date if needs be, I think up until about 4 months before, so we’re going to hold our horses before paying anything that isn’t flexible (apart from the registrar who we‘ll pay the initial deposit for). 

It‘s so weird because for over 2 years I’ve wanted nothing more than to get pregnant (I mean I’ve wanted it for about 5 years really, but 2 and a bit of active trying) and now I’m thinking ‘well it would be ok if I got pregnant in this month but not in that month’ which is INSANE because any time I got pregnant would be a freaking overwhelming miracle and I’d be over the moon. But for the first time in a long time there’s a competing priority. Still, we will see how it all pans out. 

Wedding addict

MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

How exciting that you nearly have a decision on venue.  Maybe get some quotes from venue dressers so you can look at the overall cost comparison as these things do add up quickly.

I'll just add in here that I am also and 'older' bride at 38 and totally get what you say about looking at sites and thinking I'm not cool enough.  We got knocked back by two videographers for not meeting their requirements (well one I didn't send too as I though I'm not explaining who I am and being judged).  

I still haven't made it to Alty market yet, we went to Mackie Mayor the other week though and loved it.

x

I can’t believe that you have to meet ‘requirements‘ for people to agree to let you pay them lots of money. Insane! 

I love what the market/general redevelopment has done for Altrincham but I can never get a bloody seat when we go so I rarely attempt it these days. I’d never even heard of Mackie Mayor but looked it up, definitely going to try it. 

Wedding addict

Woo hoo for a venue and a date!

You'll probably have a case of the "what if"s for a few weeks, but it should fade once you start doing a bit more planning and booking of other things too. Mine did. Now I'm just excited!

And I don't think 22nd December is mad at all. I was gunning for a Christmas wedding originally. As long as you get save the dates and/or invites out in good time, people can plan their party season accordingly and make sure they save some of their livers for you!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/mrs-lytton-2019/485995.html

Bridezilla

So exciting to have a venue and date! I think when you just can’t shake somewhere sometimes it’s meant to be. It sounds like it makes so much sense too financially and you’ll be able to have a few more personal touches / frills because it’s less expensive than some of the others. I actually think it’s nice to have a date so close to Christmas! Gives people the excuse to start their Christmas holiday early and will always be a magical time of the year to celebrate your anniversaries.

Wedding addict

Booked the registrar today as well, and now I will have to sit on my hands for a bit until we know what’s happening with project baby! 

Im wondering if I should have another planning thread and delete this one which is essentially me boring on about venues for ages! So now I can call it something suitably festive! But Im not sure I can be bothered, I wish I could just change the title. 

My niece (age 19) has agreed to play guitar and sing for my entrance, and possibly during signing the register, which has made me so so happy. She’s so talented but gets so nervous, so I think we’ll also get her to record it so if she really doesn’t feel up to it on the day we can use the recording. 

My other niece, the above’s sister, is a hairdresser and is going to do my hair. 

My sister in law also offered today to help with flowers, MIL is also ‘on’ flowers - MIL did the church flowers for years, SIL went on a flower arranging course and did all the flowers for her son’s wedding - they were lovely - so we should be covered there. 

I‘ve ordered a mini chalkboard sign on a ribbon from the works. My plan is to write the save the date on it and put it round Fred’s neck then take a photo, then use an offer code for some free prints and use the photos as save the dates - like this .....

God knows how it will turn out, Fred’s only little and he’s an uncooperative bugger when he wants to be so it’ll probably be a disaster but if it works it’ll be cute. 

I might do a wedding website as well, need to look into that, have other people bothered? Who did you use if so? 

Bridezilla

Those dog signs are so cute!!

Don't delete your thread, I have loved it! We used getting married for our website (adamandcandy.gettingmarried.co.uk If you want a nosy), really easy to do and a great way to get all your info together!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/newcastle-wedding-november-2018/454464.html

Bridezilla

What a cute idea!! I think thatll work really well, and for cheap prints download Snapfish & FreePrints, you get about 40 free prints each a month, just pay postage! 
I know what you mean about the new thread, i felt the same for a while because i started mine before we had a venue and date, but im less bothered now. 
Weve also used Getting Married, we havent done much other than make an account yet but seems really easy to use. 

Bridezilla

So glad to see you have your venue booked, congrats! Love the Save The Date idea also 😀

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

I have just bought a wowcher for a set of 36 photo magnets, I got the 7cm square ones, and it was £9.99 - so if my plan works I’ll get the save the date/Freddie picture printed onto them and see how they turn out. If I can’t get a decent picture of him I’ll use the deal to print some other pictures onto magnets, or I’m sure I can think of some uses for school if nothing else! 

I‘ll give out as many as possible and stick the others in with Christmas cards so I don’t have to buy extra envelopes etc. Though may have to pay extra for postage, I’m not sure how substantial  the magnets are!