Your planning threads

A wedding in the Gower

1 to 20 of 299 posts

Bridezilla

Hi everyone! Thought i'd start my own planning thread as I've spent way too long reading through everyone else's and would love to have everything written down in one place!

A litle bit about us

D and I met in 2011 officially but had known each other previously at a Judo club as kids (were from a SMALL town!) We met through D's best friend Bill (our best man) who i dated very briefly (sounds more awklward than it actually is, were all great friends now!) We bumped into each other at the pub a few weeks after I stopped seeing Bill and have been pretty inseperable ever since! I was 18 and he was 20.

We moved into our first apartment a year or so later and have lived there ever since, until now! We are going to be spending a year living back with my parents in the lead up to the wedding so we can afford our dream of going travelling around Asia for 6 months as an extended honeymoon! We'll settle down and become proper adults once were back but not thinking about that for now!

The Proposal

We planned a 3week trip to Thailand for Feb 2017 and had the time of our lives! 

We were spending the day/night in floating bungalows on Koh Sok National Park about half way into our trip, the day was perfectly relaxing, we'd spent the whole time floating around on rubber rings, sunbathing with some new friends we'd made earlier on in the trip, eating amazing Thai food and having a few beers. D seemed pretty excited to take out a canoe but I wasn't so keen, I finally (reluctantly) gave in and jumped on the back of a canoe, we rowed out a little way and D started turning around in the front to face me in the back, I was shouting at him as we didn't have life jackets on and the canoe was rocking! Thinking back, he did seem on edge as we floated around but I was oblivious! He then pulled out a ring that was tied to the string of his swim shorts and I've never been so shocked/happy/giddy in my life! I can't tell you what he said, I don't think I really took any of it in, I was over the moon! We spent the rest of the day celebrating with (almost) strangers in the middle of a lake, the nearest mobile signal at least an hour away! 

The whole family were waiting at home for our news, everybody knew except me! 

Wedding addict

What a lovely proposal..can't wait to hear more..I love the Gower it's a beautiful place I've had many holidays there when i was young, A beautiful place to get married. ❤

Bridezilla

The ring

the ring D originally proposed with was a "cheap ring from Argos" (his words) so he didn't have to worry about losing it from his backpack whilst we were away, so on our return we took a trip into town to pick one together, we had a lovely day looking around the jewellers and I was pleasantly surprised how involved D was, in fact he actually pointed my ring out first ad said it was his favourite, luckily it was mine too and when we went to pay it was £100 less than the marked up price! 

Bridezilla

The Venue

i have always dreamt of getting married abroad on the beach with all our closest family, having a BBQ and everybody being relaxed. We told all of our family this was our plan and everyone seemed relatively on board with the idea, but it was turning out to be more hassle than I thought, I couldn't choose a country let alone a venue... we both liked Mexico but it was too far/expensive for most of our family and I couldn't marry without my nan there so we were looking at Cyprus/greece..we toyed with big villa in cyprus but realised it wouldbt work out all of family staying in one villa!

We we're also looking into travelling for a longer period of time at some point and didn't know where we would fit in around the wedding.

D and I went camping for a night up at three cliffs bay in the gower and spent the whole afternoon/evening drinking cider and chatting about the future, we made lots of decisions this day, firstly.. our wedding will be at home rather than abroad, we loved the idea of adding personal touches which would have been impossible abroad and also decided we did after all want a bigger guest list. We also decided we were going to move into my parents house for a year to save up for the wedding and we were going to apply for sabbaticals from work to take a 6 month "honeymoon" to travel around Asia/australia! (We've now been granted these and move into my parents in 6 weeks)

so...we then stunbled across oxwich bay hotel, its perfect for us, a small intimate ceremony room, the hotel is right on the beach so hopefully we'll still have beachy photos and the reception is held in a beautiful marquee! We booked it straight away when we viewed for the 4th of September 2018

Bridezilla

I'm getting married in the Gower too!! I love Oxwhich Bay its stunning! Our wedding is in Oldwalls! I'll have to go back and read to see when you're getting married I was too excited to comment! Another Gower bride!! Ours is 05/11/17!x

Bridezilla

Yay! Another Welsh bride! I used to live in Swansea and know Oxwich Bay well. 

Planning Thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/shabby-chic-park---march-2018-wedding/430905.html

Bridezilla

I'M GETTING MARRIED AT OXWICH BAY TOO!!! In 5 weeks!! You have picked a fab venue - they have been amazing so far! You actually sound quite similar to us - we like travelling, would have loved a beach wedding abroad but couldn't bear the idea of not being at home with family and friends, and are having a BBQ! My OH is Welsh. Excited to hear about the rest of your plans! 

Bridezilla

Bridesmaid and Groomsmen

After choosing the venue we were both bursting at the seams to tell anyone who'd listen about our plans so thought our next step should be to ask our bridesmaids/groomsmen.

i invited 4 of my closest friend round for a catch up/cup of tea and had personalised mugs with their names and will you be my bridesmaid on them. I brought the mugs out on a tray so they had them all together, everyone was so excited! My eldest friend from primary school burst into tears, we spent the whole evening chatting, I even got banished to my kitchen so they could start discussing hen plans! I also wrote out cards with lots of memories in and ended each one with "anyway I just wanted to say I couldn't say I do without you!" 

As well as my adult bridesmaids Ive also asked my younger cousin who will be 3 days from 18 at the wedding and our niece who'll be 10. I gave my cousin a life charms "will you be my bridesmaid" bracelet and a countdown plaque and my niece a teddy bear with a build a bear bridesmaid dress and a t shirt with will you be my bridesmaid written on.

D had his best man and groomsmen over the weekend after, he gave them a beer tankard with their names and roles on whilst they see watching a football game, they were just as excited as the bridesmaids and a similar scenario saw D and I in the kitchen while they talked stag!

D's cousin and my brother will also be groomsmen but couldnt make it that night. 

Bridezilla

The Dress

the first time I went to try on wedding dresses was because my mum had tricked me! We work together in our family business and had a late afternoon shift so she suggested we go into Cardiff to look round the shops before work. I should have known what she was up to as she'd been asking me every day for a couple of weeks!

I think she managed 1 shop before mentioning it and next thing i know we're in Alyson Jayne Bridal shop! I think i was a bit overwhelmed and I thought we were being silly trying dresses on 18months before the wedding but it was good to get some styles of what I liked and didn't like.

Over the next month or so I went to a few shops, one time I took both my nanas, my mum and cousin and the other time I took my mum, nana and auntie. I had decided that an A line style suited me best, and found one dress I really liked:

I drove past a small wedding dress boutique everyday called Wynter Isabelle and always had a little look in the window so I decided to book an appointment. I went for dinner the night before with my parents and mum asked if my dad could come, I wasn't over the moon with the idea but if he really wanted to i thought it could be quite nice and I was convinced I wouldn't see anything I liked there. They come to pick me up to go the next day and dad decided he didn't want to come afterall so he sat in the car outside the shop and i'm SO glad he did!

I tried on 5/6 dresses all of which I didn't like and was about to put my own clothes back on when the shop owner pulled this fit and flare/fishtail style dress of the shelf, i just said nah but she pushed for me to try it on. WOW. I was so shocked that a dress so fitted could look good  on me (even though it was 2 sizes too small) I loved it! But as it was just mum and I there I booked to come back and try it on next week!

Bridezilla

Wow, for what it's worth I think your figure looks much better in the fitted dress!

Bridezilla

Wow, love the second dress! 

Planning Thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/shabby-chic-park---march-2018-wedding/430905.html

Bridezilla

The dress part 2

i was so nervous that i might have the dress! Think it was partly because I thought we'd have lots of shopping trips left and partly because id actually only tried one in that style (fitted rather than A-Line) so I managed to book 2 shops in Cardiff to try some more on before I made my decision. 

I tried so many dresses on that day and found none that I even remotely liked. The ladies in the shop were trying their best and in the end one even said "im sorry but you are describing an exact dress which we don't have". That and the fact that my auntie said "youve brought me out to pretend to look at dresses when you've already got your mind set on one" made it so much clearer for me!

So I went the next day along with my mum and auntie and tried on the dress! I'm so pleased! Just got to kickstart my diet now... 

So the dress is Eternity D5225 in ivory and I have added a fishtail hoop and sparkly belt! 

(Wish I wasn't standing on the box in the picture So the train could be seen better but one of my favourite parts of the dress is the lace around the train! im a cake decorator and I think dresses need to have a nice finish at the bottom just like a cake would!)

I also love the sparkles in the skirt part and spent the whole time swaying side to side so the light would catch, musn't make that a hobby on the day!

Bridezilla

Oh wow, you look beautiful!

I love the lace at the end of my train as well. 

Wedding addict

Wow i love your dress, it suits you so well! And your venue is beautiful :) 

My Big Fat Cypriot Wedding 

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/our-big-fat-cypriot-wedding/438556.html

Bridezilla

Thankyou futuremrsthomas! We'll have to make sure we get plenty of pictures showing off the lace train on the day!

Aimee73 that's so kind! im currently taking any opportunity to go up there, let's go for Sunday lunch, they do a special Father's Day afternoon tea! Trying to convince h2b we should stay at the hotel this year on the 4th sept a year before the wedding! 

it seems to be wales' worst kept secret! I had no idea it existed but since all I've heard is ooo i love it up there! We've been to a wedding there! Etc luckily all good things although im sure nobody would so youve chosen that as your venue? I hate it! Haha 

Bridezilla

Save the dates

I really liked the idea of magnets for save the dates bit wanted to introduce  a rustic/natural theme. After a bit of googling I came across some wooden heart shaped with all the details engraved on eBay:

I ordered 50 magnets for £39 which delivered within the week I was really impressed with them! Although they were a little smaller than I'd imagined the writing is really easy to read and think they look good for the money!

i bought kraft cards from hobbycraft and printed a little poem on the front (using the printer from work hehe) and stuck the magnet to the middle 

i bought the card as actual cards as it was cheaper than buying card and envelopes but cut the other side off hopefully I'll get some use out of it further down the line!

The hessian is a little wonky on the one pictured as it was the first one I made and I pulled it tighter than i should have but the rest of them turned out pretty well! 

Also got these cute little stickers for the back of the envelope although I'll have to properly seal the ones I'm posting as they keep unsticking