Your planning threads

Autumn Barn Wedding - October 2019

41 to 57 of 57 posts

Wedding addict

Other bits

We will definitely be having some sort of sweet table/cart as I love a good pick & mix but it's not something that we have often and since planning the wedding, eBay has become my best friend! I bought some metal scoops and tongs, which were planning to cover the handles with some hessian to tie in with our theme. Some kraft colour cups from Etsy and some sweet bags in gold from eBay so that people can take home the sweets in... I'm just trying to find some stickers that they can use to keep their sweets in the bags without breaking the bank.

With my Mum making the cake, we've been looking at different cake toppers for a long time and have finally found one we agree on... (HTB didn't want one at all!) I plan to paint it gold to fit in with our theme and give the cake a bit of colour too.

I've been planning to do some personalised hangers for the girls and found some white and rose gold wooden hangers in Primark that I thought would be perfect! I found a seller on eBay that sold decals with a font that I really liked and we tried one out to see what they would look like... I have to say, I'm not that impressed! You can see the plastic under each decal and I don't feel that they stick particularly well either... (please excuse HTB wonky name sticking)

So I think i'm going to have to start again with these... I'm just not sure on paying £3+ per hanger to have them engraved, although they do look lovely...

Two of my best friends (bridesmaid and usher) came to visit us in our new house for the first time in Feb (as we now live 2 hours away from my family and friends, it's usually me travelling back down there to see everyone) and brought with them a gorgeous engagement card and gift. We have our first official wedding photo album now and I'm very excited to fill it with pictures from the day, although it still seems so long away!

Wedding addict

Venue re-visit

This weekend was an open day at our venue and so we went back to have another look with my mum, MOH and bridesmaid K. It was so good to be able to show them the venue and for them to love it as much as we did. It was also nice to have it re-confirmed in our minds that this is definitely the place! As the weather was so lovely this weekend, the gardens looked beautiful... 

18 months isn't too soon to be excited right?!

Bridezilla

Only just saw your thread - I'm also a Kent bride, getting married at The Barn in Tunbridge Wells in August 2019!!

We loooved The Gardens when we were looking at venues, but it was above our budget sadly!

Can I be cheeky and ask the ballpark that Ross Hurley is in price wise - we have looked at his website before and we are just looking at photographers now as it's our next thing to book. I suspect from the quality of his work that he's a bit expensive for us.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

Ah lovely! I haven't seen many other Kent brides on here. I hope your planning is going well! Next year seems to far away but it's already April, it'll be here quicker than we know!

The Barn is gorgeous, I went there for a civilised hen party recently and it was lovely upstairs! You must be very excited.

I'll PM you about Ross, I was surprised that he wasn't more, as you say the quality of his work is amazing but he is such a lovely person too... which really helped seal the decision for us. 

Wedding addict

Being a secret (or not so secret, it seems!) animal lover, people keep asking us if we're going to have our animals involved with our wedding. As much as I love them, our two bunnies would not cope with that situation and it wouldn't be fair... so we've been thinking of some way to incorporate them and H2B had a sudden brainwave... our tables are now named after the animals we've had whilst we've been together and luckily there have been 5 which match the 5 tables we have. 

I found some gorgeous place names on Etsy that match with our rustic theme and they arrived this morning - Pippa, Jasper and Chester for our bunnies and Cookie and Freddie for the hamsters! 

Bridezilla

MrsA-NToBe wrote (see post):

Ah lovely! I haven't seen many other Kent brides on here. I hope your planning is going well! Next year seems to far away but it's already April, it'll be here quicker than we know!

The Barn is gorgeous, I went there for a civilised hen party recently and it was lovely upstairs! You must be very excited.

I'll PM you about Ross, I was surprised that he wasn't more, as you say the quality of his work is amazing but he is such a lovely person too... which really helped seal the decision for us. 

Thank you that's really kind.

Most brides seem to be up north/Wales ish don't they!

Yes my friend had her reception at the Barn and we live in TW, plus we know the management team so I just felt comfortable there!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

Our save the dates arrived this morning! Which has made everything seem a bit more real. We decided to go with wooden fridge magnets as they go with our rustic theme and then we created little labels to go with them and tied them with a bit of hessian rope. 

I'm really pleased with them and can't wait for D to get home this evening so we can sit down and create a definitive list of people they'll be going out to! 

Wedding addict

Wow it's been a long time since I last posted... I didn't realise quite how long! Life has a habit of running away with you.

Spoiler - despite purchasing our save the dates in April, they still haven't gone out... oops!

Anyway, we've gone through a wedding planning lull where nothing much has happened and I've just bought bits and bobs as I've seen them but nothing significant. 

Favours

I was a bit undecided about these until a blogger that I follow got married and I saw hers. There was nothing I liked enough that I wanted to spend a lot of money on for fear of people not taking them/forgetting them on the day. So I've bought some pillow boxes on eBay, stamped them with our wedding stamp (that we're going to use for everything) and tied them with some string to match our 'theme'. Closer to the time, I'll get some heart shape mints to go in - I just don't want to do it too soon in case they go soft!

Other bits

I bought these two little baskets in the sale in primark for £2 each to go in each of the bathrooms... nothing huge but I thought it would be nice to have a small amount of eventualities in both rooms.

I'd been eyeing up this lady on Etsy for a while as I thought her bits were gorgeous but she'd been 'away' for a long time, so when she came back online I bought these two quickly. These will be to go on the plates of my mum and D's mum, something special for them both to keep on the day and the colour of the rose fits with our theme!

It's really important to me that I feel as if my Gran is there with us on the day as she was such a huge part of my life, however... I don't want to make a big deal about it as I know that would upset my grandad. I plan to wear the earrings of hers that she wore everyday when I was growing up, but I wanted to have something else and when I saw this, thought it would be perfect. It'll be tied to my bouquet so will be discrete. 

Wedding addict

Great thread!  I think we’ve actually got quite similar tastes. 

I‘m also doing the personalised white hangers, I did them for my sister earlier this year, I bought a phyrography pen from Hobby Craft and burnt the names into them. It was surprising easy. I’ve also found some brown ones which I’ll be using for my groom and his groomsmen.

Heres a pic of my sisters.

Bridezilla

Your plans are coming along well, love all the little bits you have been buying, your hangers look really good!

Wedding addict

CoffeeDogAddict - Thanks so much! It feels like its slowly coming together. Of course, they are from a shop called TheClayTagCompany - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/529604335/mother-of-the-bride-gift-mother-of-the?ref=shop_home_active_3&ep_click=1

Thanks Jessica, those hangers look great and so unique! I might look into this for the groomsman as D wants engraved hangers for them and this would be really personal... I'm off to read your thread!

MrsS85 - Thank you! I can't believe it's nearly a year to go, I feel like I need to get a wiggle on now.

Wedding addict

it’s the little things... 

As with all things, life has a way of getting in the way when you’re least expecting it and we’ve had a pretty tough year. The last few weeks have been particularly hard and I had the best surprise in the post today from my MOH ...

It is such a small guestire but it means so much and there may have been some dust in my eyes when I opened it! 

Guess I better get looking! :) 

Wedding addict

Hair

I finally booked a hairdresser! I met my lady at an open day at our venue earlier in the year after stalking her website and when meeting her in real life, knew I needed to book her, it just took me a little while to get around to it (as with everything wedding related it seems!) 

She has a £25 deposit and then nearer the time when I have a bit more idea of what i'd like to go with/actually have a dress, i'll have a trial with one of the bridesmaids. She's here if any other 'getting married in Kent' brides wanted to have a look - http://www.rkwhair.co.uk/about-me/ she is so lovely and helpful!

Having sorted this, I set littlest bridesmaid R the task of finding a hairstyle she liked. At 15 (16 when we get married) she self conscious about her hair and what she looks like and I want her to feel as comfortable as possible whilst it fitting with what I had in mind! Plus, we are very similar with our likes and dislikes and look very similar. After an evening on Pintrest, she did a pretty good job! 

I'm a hair down person, so wanted some sort of half up half down situation so thought to contrast, the bridesmaids could have their hair up... however I didn't want a complete bun and wanted something a bit different and this is what she came up with - 

For the bridesmaids... hair in a ponytail but with curls and a bit of oomph!

For me - (second pic is from our hairdressers website). Half up/half down with some sort of embellishment in (yet to be decided).

I think she did a pretty good job!