Your planning threads

December 2018 over-excited bride to be!!

1 to 20 of 220 posts

Bridezilla

Hi All

After playing around with a bit of a rubbish planning thread I thought I would start again!

Hope you all enjoy reading this as much as I've enjoyed reading everyone else's.

A BIT ABOUT US

We met way back in 2002 at a charity night in his local village hall.  I actually worked with his best mate and him and his girlfriend dragged me along.

It was fancy dress so I was attired most attractively in a naughty school girls outfit (quite appropriate really as I was only 17 at the time!) and he was dressed as one of the band members from Westlife in a red boiler suit!!  Turns out him and his mates were performing Uptown Girl as part of the performance night.  This is the two of the night we met - hideous picture really but it does make me laugh everytime I see it!!

So after a rather (very!) drunken evening we started going out, it didn't last very long though, only a few weeks as neither of us could drive at the time and we lived half an hour away from each other so was hard to get together.  I was an awful immature 17 year old and actually dumped him via text message - I cringe when I think about that now!

About 3 months after we split up I passed my driving test and the night after I actually bumped into him at a local pub. We ended up having a cheeky snog and that was that!!  He passed his test a few months later so we were able to start a proper relationship - my first and only!!

Roll on 5 years and we bought our first home together, a little one bedroom flat, and got a dog. Our first baby!!

At this point despite only being 23 I was full of the idea of marriage and for a while that was all I thought about!  Unfortunately my other half didn't feel the same way and basically said he never wanted to get married so I had quite a few years of being jealous of all my friends getting married and just secretly hoping that one day it would happen to me!

OH and his two best mates even had a pact that they would only get married if the other two did so that they would never get married as none of them wanted to!

Cue me being rather hacked off that a few years later both of them were married & I wasn't even engaged!

As we can't seem to do things in the supposed correct order in 2012 I found out I was pregnant, took us both by surprise but was a happy surprise!  So getting engaged really did fly to the back of my mind as I had way more important things to think of.  Such as my baby girl born in October 2012. Our 'second' baby!!

Clearly this is a recent picture!!  Not sure whether I should put pics on here or but thought I can always edit and remove!!

Bridezilla

THE PROPOSAL

So as I said I was so tied up with our little baby the thought of marriage had pretty much left my head (I'm sure it was still there somewhere but sleepless nights and baby sick put paid to any other thoughts!!)

One night/early hours of the morning I got back into bed after a particularly horrible night feed where I couldn't get her to go back to sleep and my OH was awake and said oh I've got something to ask to you.  I was clearly very fuzzy headed and apparently I said well can it wait until tomorrow as I want to go back to sleep!!  He said no and then asked me to marry him.  I said yes sounds great and promptly fell asleep again!!

The next day we went ring shopping and together chose a small but perfect for me ring.

Cue all wedding talk then being put on hold for the next 4 years...........................................................................

Bridezilla

THE SECOND 'PROPOSAL'

So rolling on just over 4 years since he proposed and we had been so hectic with our little baby growing up, changing jobs (me), going self-employed and starting own business (him) and moving house that despite my nagging we had not got round to setting a date and I had all but given up!!

First week of the New Year and we are sitting in our new house (moved in on Boxing Day, crazy times!!) and he randomly says shall we set a wedding date for next year then?  I nearly fell off the sofa in shock!  Then shrieked like a girl and proceeded to text all my friends & my mum and sister to shout the news out to them!

Bless my Mum, for a couple of weeks after I would talk to her about the wedding and got a very muted response! I finally said why aren't you more excited and she said in all honestly I'm not sure you are actually going to do as you've been talking about it for so long! SO I had to show her we were serious and my planning well and truly started!!!

Bridezilla

THE VENUE

We live on the border of Hampshire & West Sussex so wanted something in that area.  I researched a few venues online but only went to visit one and I just fell in love with it straight away!!  Here it is -

SOUTHDOWNS MANOR

I loved it from the start and knew I didn't want to look anywhere else.  I really didn't think it would fit into our budget but then my lovely parents offered to pay for half the venue costs so we went to an open day the week after I viewed it and got it booked.

It's an exclusive use venue with 14 bedrooms so that guests can stay over which was one of my must haves and also you could have the ceremony and reception at the same - also a must have!

WEDDING DATE = SUNDAY 9TH DECEMBER 2018

Bridezilla

So a very very quick venue story I'm afraid, was hoping for a more exciting one to be able to tell but when somewhere seems right then it seems right!!  Here are some more pictures though.

We are having 56 guests during the day including 6 children, this may go up to 60 though as my parents are trying to sneak a few extras in!!

In the evening we are having an extra 50, am hoping the numbers will make for a good party atmosphere!!

Wedding addict

Oooh exciting another 2018 bride! Your ring is beautiful as is the venu! 

Bridezilla

Ooooo how exciting for you after such a long wait. Your little girl is so cute!

I am from just outside of Portsmouth so we are from a similar area, went to South Downs College. Loved South Downs Manor but it was waaay out of my budget so we are going to the New Forest to get married. I also saw your thread about  being impatient! I booked my wedding venue in Sept/Oct 2015 and my wedding is July this year so I sort of know how you feel with having to sit on my hands!

My advice is just to do your research but don't buy/decide on anything specific as yet as the wedding industry changes so much there might be new things you prefer by the time your wedding comes around, and also you might change your tastes. Especially the dress. I bought my dress with 19 months to go and really wish I hadn't done that! I love my dress now thankfully but it almost went the other direction and I seriously started looking again as I got the dress wobbles so bad. And I am a very methodical and frugal person and defo didn't think that would happen to me!

Book all your suppliers i.e. cake/florist as you can change your mind on the specifics of what you want closer to the wedding. Hang out here, go on pinterest, save items to wish lists online etc as this wont hurt, but try not to spend any money on anything you might change your mind on!

Bridezilla

Ah thank you both!! 

Thank you for the tips jenni, I went to southdowns college as well!! Many moons ago it feels like!! I caught up on your thread the other day, it all sounds fantastic. I love reading about other people's weddings. Think it's my guilty pleasure!! 

I've booked my main suppliers (more on that later) and the plan is to save money as much as I can and then wait until beginning of next year before I start buying things!! 

Bridezilla

THE THEME 

Despite the wedding being in December I decided very quickly I didn't want a Christmas theme. The venue will have their lovely Christmas decorations up so that will be enough Christmas stuff! 

For some reason I always wanted purple as a wedding colour, ever since school really! Helps it's my favourite colour! 

So my heart was set on purple from the start and I decided to add silver to that and throw some bling in to make feel that extra bit special. I also love candles and lights so knew I wanted lots of those as well. Some inspiration pics below. 

Bridezilla

Yeah isn't is scary when you think how many years it was since you were at school/college lol. I try not to! I know tell me about it - this website is a bit of a life saver. I think I'd have lost all my friends, my family wouldn't want to answer m phonecalls and I would no longer be engaged if it wasn't for you ladies always happy to hear my wedding-related ramblings! H2B knows I am on it a lot but I am not sure he quite realises how much

Love your inspiration - especially the suits and chiffon BM dresses.

Bridezilla

THE BRIDAL PARTY 

The Girls

So I have a younger sister who I'm really close to so she was my obvious and first choice for Maid of Honour. It was only after I asked her and then started reading these forums that I realised I could have asked her in a much more special way!! All I did was send her a Facebook message  oops!! I'll have to make it up to her! 

I then decided that my daughter who will be 6 by the wedding and my two nieces, who will be 9 & 2.5, would be flower girls so that was nice and easy. 

I also have 3 nephews, 9, 8 & 4, so they will be page boys. Have a rather cute idea that they could pair with the flower girls and walk down the aisle hand in hand. Whether they will go along with that remains to be seen! 

So for a while I thought that was that. Then I started thinking of the all the things that need doing before the wedding and on the day and I wondered if 1 adult bridesmaid would be enough. My sister has 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl. The other 2 kids in the bridal party are my brother in laws. So anyway life for my sister is pretty hectic as she's a single mum and I really didn't want to put too much pressure on her. 

So I decided to ask another friend to be a bridesmaid. She's the wife of my other half's best mate, who will be a best man, we are really good friends, she is incredibly supportive, has been so excited about the wedding and I know that she and my sister will do me proud!! As will the little ones!! 

The Boys

So my OH is having 2 best men, his older brother and one of his best mates. 

Not sure if he will have ushers yet, I thought they were only really needed for a church service and ours will be a civil ceremony so I don't think there is a need for them? 

Apparently OH has asked them both and they've said yes but I've no idea how or when he did it!! Probably just over a pint in the pub! 

Bridezilla

THE PHOTOGRAPHER

I knew pretty much straight away who I wanted to ask to do my photography.  My OH hates having his photo taken and really hates posed photos so whilst I knew I wanted photos to look back on I didn't want to spend an absolute fortune on a full blown photographer when I knew he would feel uncomfortable the whole day.

So with this in mind I decided to ask my parents best friend who over the years has established himself as a pretty good photographer, he's won competitions etc. and I know he's not a fan of lots of posed shots and much prefers to capture natural images.

He was really chuffed to be asked and when I bought the awkward subject of cost he wouldn't even hear of us paying him, he really wanted to do and be part of our day.  Him and his wife have been my parents best friends since I was 6 (I'm now 32) so they've been a massive part of my life anyway.

As a thank you we will be paying for them to stay overnight at the venue in one of their suites.

So photographer is sorted. Here are a few of my favourite photos from his website.

Bridezilla

I love it! so many photos!! 

it looks stunning!! :)

My Planning Thread

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/planning/june-2017-wedding/437409.html

Bridezilla

HAIR AND MAKE-UP

Something else that was fairly easy to decide on and book.

A friend's sister is doing my hair, plus my 2 bridesmaids and 2 flower girls and my mum! I known her for a few years and she has put my hair up for special occasions before.

She also did 2 of my best friends wedding hair a few years ago and one I was a bridesmaid at so I knew we would be in safe hands!!

Couple of pics of how I would ideally like my hair.

It's got to grow a fair bit first as it doesn't even reach my shoulders at the moment! Am hoping 21 months is enough time!!

For my make-up I don't have any thoughts about how I would like it yet but I was definitely adamant about having it done! I don't wear much make up normally and that's mainly due to time in the mornings and also the fact I am pretty useless at putting it on!

I'm not a girly girl really, I love football and trainers and cider!! but I know I would wear more makeup if I knew how to apply it better!

I thought it would also be nice to treat my 2 bridesmaids and my mum to have their make up done as well. I had no initial thoughts on who to get to do it, thought I would just do some google searches and get some recommendations.

However browsing through Facebook one day I see a Facebook friend of mine had been tagged in a wedding post about make up so as I am very nosy I decided to investigate!

Turns out a girl I used to work a good few years ago now when we were both Personal Trainers had retrained as a beauty therapist and make-up artist.  Looking through her portfolio the pictures were fantastic so straight away I messaged her.

We don't really speak much anymore as no longer work together and just drifted apart so I felt a bit bad just messaging her out of blue.  She was lovely though and really pleased to hear from me, a few messages later we had it booked in and bless she gave me a discount as well.  Happy days!!!

Bridezilla

FLOWERS

The florist is my most recent booking.  The first few weeks of planning I was adamant I wasn't going to spend money on flowers as they die - me being nice and morbid here!  Some of my recently married friends had said they spent up to £1k on flowers which there was no way I was going to do.

I kept seeing silk and foam flowers pop up on Facebook and Ebay and I thought they looked really nice so I investigated a few companies and got a quote of £250 for a brides teardrop bouquet, 5 bridesmaid/flower girls bouquets, 5 buttonholes and a top table arrangement so I was feeling very pleased with that bargain price!

I hadn't booked anything so far and then when my Mum was round talk invariably turned to the wedding and my Mum said have you looked at florists yet.  So I started telling her and my OH about my bargain foam flower find and they both looked at me like I'd grown another head!

Apparently there is no way I can have foam flowers at my wedding! My OH is a gardener so he thinks he's an expert in this particular field, it was the first time he had really expressed a strong opinion about anything to do with the wedding really so I thought I should maybe listen as he obviously felt quite strongly about it!

My Mum totally sided with my OH on this subject and they said we would work fresh flowers into the budget!

So I began a florist search........................

& it quickly ended!!!  A friend of mine recently got married at the same venue as I will be and she started uploading some of her wedding pics, she left some very good comments about her florist so I began my search with them.

My Mum and I went to visit them, Global Flowers in Midhurst, West Sussex, one Sunday and had a talk about colours, what we wanted, types of flowers etc. and a couple of days later I received her quote -

A bridal shower bouquet, 2 bridesmaids and 3 flower girls bouquets, 5 buttonholes, 2 corsages (for the mums), 3 thank you bouquets and an arrangement to go on the ceremony table and then to be moved to the top table for an unbelievably amazing price of £364!!

I was totally blown away. It helps I'm not having anything too extravagant, my bouquet will be made up of Lisianthus, roses, and freesias with diamantes in the centre of the roses and the bridesmaids bouquets will be made of ivory roses with diamantes in the centre and then tied compactly with a purple ribbon and the buttonholes and corsages are fairly simple as well but I'm so pleased with the price so got it booked straight away. 

Some pics of what they might look like

Wedding addict

Wow those flower ideas look amazing and the price is fantastic! I've not even started looking at florists yet don't know where to start tbh! 

Bridezilla

AlmosttMrsL wrote (see post):

Wow those flower ideas look amazing and the price is fantastic! I've not even started looking at florists yet don't know where to start tbh! 

I would start by asking any recently married friends if they have any recommendations and then just a simple google or Facebook search will throw up a few options. Look at their photos and reviews.

Bridezilla

It's all shaping up beautifully Kelly - how exciting! That shade of purple is stunning.

Loved your getting together story. It's nice to see how many brides on here have been with their H2Bs for years before tying the knot. Often feels like everyone I know gets engaged after just a year of 'courting' - aisle races.