Your planning threads

Mrs Spaggit 2018

1 to 20 of 312 posts

Bridezilla

Mrs Spaggit 2018.

So… there is a lovely lady on here whose wedding planning thread I fell in love with, and she inspired me to write my own.  I’m sure everybody will be bored of me and my wedding talk in the end, so I feel like getting everything down on here is a good way to talk about it, get it off my chest and at the end, when it’s all over and done with… Look back on and remember every part of my wedding.  I had written this and was going to wait until I had more to post but another lovely 2018 bride has convinced me to start posting now, so here goes...

Bridezilla

Finding Spaggy.

So firstly, a little background…

Basically, it all started back in 2013.  I was at one of my happiest stages in life, loving single life, not looking nor wanting anyone but being pestered by 2 of my very good friends who were insistent they set me up with “S”. (Or Spaggit now, as my niece who is 1 calls him Uncle Spaggit and its’ stuck) I do have a, shall we say ‘soft spot’ for the good old Italians, so this did pique my interest a little I must admit.  But ultimately, I was hell no-ing all over the gaff.  Eventually, I gave in with an ‘I’ll think about it,’ which they took as an all systems go, green light! (Thankfully.) 

So I’m sitting at my desk at work, mindlessly procrastinating when a new group whatsapp pings up on my phone.  In this group is one of said friends, and S. The conversation went like this:

Friend:  A, this is S. S this is A…

*Friend exits conversation*

Bit awks, to say the least!  So there we are, both a little awkward, both very embarrassed, making small talk.  Which led to us arranging a night out to the pub, with a bunch of friends coming with us (as I was a wuss) which lead to a very drunk, very cringy, very public snog in the middle of said pub (the memory makes me die a little inside) and as much as I didn’t think it would lead anywhere, we soon became inseparable and fast forward a few years, here we are, engaged, and planning our wedding. 

Bridezilla

Getting engaged.

Way back when we hadn’t been together that long, I had a dream one night that S proposed.  Of course I said yes, but when he pulled out the ring, I was horrified.  For the remainder of the dream I hid my left hand and denied all knowledge of an engagement.  I’m not materialistic in real life, so the ring must have been a shocker… I don’t remember what it actually looked like now though.  But this dream sent me on a frantic search of engagement rings.  Before this I had never properly looked at engagement rings or seriously even thought about what kind of ring I would like… But on a particular website I found the most beautiful ring which I loved.  So I sent the picture to S in the hopes that he would remember this ring, if he were ever to propose.

This brings us to the present, so back in June we had a “Famo” holiday to Tenerife.  We had a big beautiful villa and there was 25 of us in all, and 17 of us in the villa. At the airport S's hand luggage was taken by the man at security…  I had my 4 year old nephew with me so was distracted anyways, but he says now he was profusely sweating at the thought of this security man emptying out his hand luggage for all to see, as he had the ring in there.  It turned out, S didn’t realise he had to take his iPad out of the bag before sending it through to the scanner. (Typical man) Disaster averted though, as the security man only pulled the iPad out and then put it all back through. 

On our first night, the men were all in low spirits as England had just been knocked out of the Euros… boo hoo!  Us ladies, were all still in high spirits, as we had been having a few drinks, chatting outside.  It was a family joke to goad S about proposing but he had always said ‘not until we’ve moved out’ it was always the same answer and no one was ever seriously asking him, so I literally had no idea what was about to happen.

One by one the men started trickling outside, all miserable, and a little drunk from drowning their sorrows whilst the match was on, and as S came out.  I had put a bottle cap on my finger (in Tenerife the beer bottle caps are a bit weird and you can put them on like a ring) and said “Don’t worry, I’ve bought myself a ring.” He rolled his eyes as per, and carried on.  About 10 minutes later, I was standing at the speakers being the “DJ” (basically skipping a few songs on Spotify) when S came over and said “so do you want to marry me then?” To which I replied, “Of course I do, but you’ve got to get an effing ring first” (I swear like a sailor, which I know is not ladylike but it just comes naturally, much to my dads disapproval) He then got down on one knee. And asked me to marry him, I still actually thought this was a joke.  That is how much I wasn’t expecting it.  My actual reply was… “this better not be a joke, because it’s not effing funny.”

It was only when S opened the box and I see THEE ring!!!!!!  Yes he had saved it from nearly 2 years ago!!!!! That I actually believed this was real!

If I’d have thought about how I wanted to be proposed to, I would have said I’d have wanted an intimate occasion with just the 2 of us.  Mine couldn’t have been further from that, all 25 of us in a villa, I had swimming pool hair, no make-up and still in beachwear.  We all looked rather worse for wear that night.  But it was perfect...

Bridezilla

Sorry got cut off:

... I couldn’t have asked for a better or lovelier proposal.  Everyone was crying, including the men, my parents, brother and sister, and favourite Grandad was there (I know you shouldn’t have favs, but let’s face it… we all secretly do) The men forgot about the football and it almost straight away turned into a big party.  It was literally the perfect night.

(Pics removed)

Bridezilla

Starting to plan – Bridesmaid hell.

When I started thinking about planning, my first thought was BRIDESMAIDS!  It was only then that my first problem arose.  I have a niece and nephew, and so does S.  Whenever I’ve thought about marrying S, and since my niece was born, (she will be 2 in September) I’ve pictured those 4.  My Mums godchildren are so close to me, so I would like those 2 as page boy and bridesmaid. Then I thought about Maid of Honour, my sister is the obvious choice.  But I then felt sorry for my sister in law, but I can’t have my sister and sister in law, as then I’d have to have S's sister too.  Which isn’t a bad thing at all, I get on really well with his sister… but that puts me up to 6 bridesmaids already, and that doesn’t include any of my friends.  I have 7 really good, close girl friends, but there is no way in hell, I can have 13 bridesmaids, it would be ridiculous.  So, I then thought, well take 2 sister in laws off, and have some friends.  My problem was then, I can’t have some and not all.  This stressed me out massively.  I even post on here asking for a solution, to which you lovely readers came up with some great ideas.  So, with your help, I now have my sister as maid of honour, the kids, and my oldest best friend as bridesmaid. (Which is still a little bit more than I would like, but it’s not a major thing so I’ll just have to get over that) 2 of my friends will be doing readings at the church, and 2 of them will be our witnesses. This is a miraculous solution, but still leaves me with 2 of my friends “title-less”.  I still don’t have a clue what I can get these 2 involved with but hopefully as time progresses something will come up!

I know they will already be involved in my hen, and helping with decorations so I just need something a bit more special which they can be involved in on the day, to come up with, which hopefully won’t be too hard as time progresses.

Bridezilla

Venue bliss.

The next thing I was so excited to start looking at, were venues.  I had a rough idea of our budget, and we had wrote the first draft of our guestlist so I had a rough idea on numbers too.  I googled away to my hearts content, and although there were many that I liked, none were jumping out at me.  I had what felt like a million brochures coming through the door, and as each one arrived, I was quickly realising that a) I wasn’t loving any of them and b) they were definitely not in our budget. (One was 17 and a half thousand pounds, and with not a lot included in the package, for only 60 guests) I was starting to lose hope.  Any that I did quite like were either a little bit too far away from us, or too small and couldn’t host all of our guests. After moaning to my mum almost constantly that I couldn’t find anywhere, I stumbled across my little ray of sunshine.  Burloes Hall. (BH)  I’m so in love with the place, I can’t even tell you.  I found it on the Thursday, and emailed as fast as my fingers could type asking for a date to view it.  On the Friday, the lovely Nicole called and said I could view it the next day.  I literally could not contain my excitement.  However, I knew S was going away for the day to a golf tournament (he is an ex professional golfer and loves golf nearly as much as he loves me… probably more in fact), but I literally didn’t care.  I knew my Mum would be more than happy to come and view it with me.  So the next afternoon, my Mum, Dad and I head off to Royston.

Basically, it is a big country house, and the family still live there.  They have so much land, and breath taking scenery, they have decided  let people have their weddings/parties there.  They have a big marquee which is decorated beautifully, and you’re allowed to add your own decorations too.  They are pretty much open to letting you do whatever you want with the marquee within reason.   They only have weddings there on the weekends, so this is an added bonus as the venue is yours from Thursday to Sunday.  This is especially an added bonus for me, because I am a complete control freak, and want to decorate the marquee myself. I’ll let the pictures speak for itself.

As soon as we were driving up to the house, I knew this was the place I wanted to have my wedding.  Nicole needn’t have even showed us the rest because I instantly knew.  I was so excited, it all just clicked into place.  After being showed round, I couldn’t fault the place.  My mum and dad were equally as in love with it.

My only problem is now, is finding a date/time that works around S's work schedule and the lovely ladies at BH so he can view it too.  As it’s still a family home, and they’re booked out from the Thursday to Sunday it can be quite awkward finding a time that suits everyone as they try to do all viewings on Saturdays for minimum disruption to the family, and obviously they have to get you in, around and out again before the wedding party arrives.

Bridezilla

Looks a beautiful venue, and will be lovely that its exclusive and no hotel guest there.

Bridezilla

MrsS85 wrote (see post):

Looks a beautiful venue, and will be lovely that its exclusive and no hotel guest there.

Yay! My first reader/commenter! Thank you, it truly is a beautiful venue, I know I'm biased but the pictures really don't do it justice! The exclusivity was also a bonus for me! 

Bridezilla

Gorgeous venue X 

Planning Thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/shabby-chic-park---march-2018-wedding/430905.html

Bridezilla

Venue Bliss part 2!!!

I’m still getting excited even just writing this, OUR VENUE IS BOOKED!  And yes! It is Burloes Hall. Wooo!   A couple of weekends ago, we managed to get a time which worked for both S and BH so off we went.  I think S thought I was being dramatic, when I was going on about how much I loved it, but as we drove up the driveway I could tell he was impressed.  Nicole showed us around and he wasn’t saying much, just agreeing at the right places whilst I rambled on.  On the Saturday we were there, it was all set up for a wedding and ready for the guests to arrive.  I fell in love even more (didn’t think it was possible) as the Bride that day had literally taken my ideas and what I picture my day to be like and made it her wedding.  I can only hope mine will be as beautiful as hers.

They have 4 different gardens there so once Nicole had shown us around the marquee and grounds, she left us to look on our own before making our way out. 

Once she had left us, S was off!  It turned out he loved it just as much as I did, and was really cute pointing things out and throwing his ideas in to the mix.   He loved the gardens, the marquee, and especially the drive where the bride and groom arrive.  So, as soon as we left he said once he had spoken to his parents, I was allowed to book.

So now, the deposit is paid, and the contract signed, sealed, delivered!  And I can finally say we are officially getting married on the 8th of September 2018. 

Bridezilla

MrsSpag2B wrote (see post):
FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Gorgeous venue X 

Thank you! I read your whole thread the other day! I love how close and considerate you are with/about your nans! So lovely.  Hope your "feud" with your mum got sorted! :) x

Oh thank you! It is nice to know people are reading and enjoying. I really do need to update my planning thread, especially after yesterday! 

Planning Thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/shabby-chic-park---march-2018-wedding/430905.html

Bridezilla

What a beautiful venue! When we were planning, we found a similar place (family home and all that!) which I fell in love with and still loved for a long time after we booked our actual venue. I am a sucker for a marquee wedding basically!

I also have a lot of appreciation for your Snapchat pictures 😂 I hope you don't mind me saying, but you are super pretty! You'll make a gorgeous bride I'm sure! x

Bridezilla

Ahh thank you lubes I am also a sucker for a marquee wedding!  I literally got so excited when you commented on my post!  This must mean there is an update on yours!!!!  (You are actually the lovely lady I refer to in my first post who made me want to write a planning thread)
Haha, you have to love a bit of snapchat! Especially the todays new filter... hilair!!! And thank you, thats really kind of you to say  xxx

Bridezilla

MrsSpag2B wrote (see post):
Ahh thank you lubes I am also a sucker for a marquee wedding!  I literally got so excited when you commented on my post!  This must mean there is an update on yours!!!!  (You are actually the lovely lady I refer to in my first post who made me want to write a planning thread)
Haha, you have to love a bit of snapchat! Especially the todays new filter... hilair!!! And thank you, thats really kind of you to say  xxx

Oh my heart just broke a little 💔 That is lovely! You know I literally rushed onto Snapchat when you said that! I was very excited by the EOTB one yesterday. Our best man arranged a special Snapchat filter on our wedding day actually but didn't tell anyone and I didn't have my phone on me!! A few people found it so I may have to hunt a picture down now there is someone out there who appreciates Snapchat as much as me 😂 Just over two years to sort one out for you and Mr Spag 😜 x

New bride

Wow, with that kind of venue, you can't end up with bad wedding pictures. It looks just so romantic. I wish we had places like that were I am from. 

Planning a spontanious scandinavian pagan forest elopement vow renewal.