Your planning threads

MUA how did you chose?

1 to 18 of 18 posts

Bridezilla

I have googled and looked on Facebook but how do I know if someone is any good.  I booked one that looked good to try for my xmas party and she made me look SO pale another cancelled being mobile and put her price up after a couple of weeks.

I'm rubbish at doing my own and think I'll be too stressed on the day.  How did you all find yours?

Bridezilla

I know how you feel! I initially booked a MUA who did my friend's wedding, as I had seen and liked her work. She had to cancel a few months later for personal reasons and I was back to square one. No-one else who my friends could recommend personally was available, so I had to go by photos on their websites or Facebook and it did make me a bit nervous. 

My main tactic was to look through all their photos and check if they did the same "look" on everyone. Some of them really obviously had one style and stuck to it, and that wasn't what I wanted as my bridesmaids have completely different colouring, features and style. I booked someone whose photos showed a variety of styles, even within the same wedding party.

There was one I saw who did the exact same shade and shape of eyebrows on EVERYONE - that was definitely the worst!

You could also ask if they will do a trial before you commit to the full booking - obviously you may end up paying for a trial with someone you don't book, but it could be worth it to put your mind at rest. 

Bridezilla

How about going along to local wedding fayres?  We have a massive one locally (Essex) and they have about 5 or 6 MUAs, and they are all doing make up on the day, so you can see what they look like

Bridezilla

I asked on facebook for recommendations, and looked at independent reviews. Everyone recommended the same person and I couldn’t find a single negative review no matter where I looked! xx

Bridezilla

Kaybridetobe wrote (see post):

I don't know if you have Instagram or can create an account to look for one. I usually just look under a MUA tag. So for instance MUAESSEX or MUAMANCHESTER and you will see a lot of results. That's how I have always found them in the past as they seem to be much more active on Instagram as opposed to Facebook. 

Love Insta I’ll get looking thanks x 

Bridezilla

I went with the one my sister used because they did her makeup amazingly. What was essential for me is looking through their work on Instagram and Facebook, mine has tonnes of before and after photos and has worked on photo shoots etc, I love what I see in her pics and know she is really experienced. Also great reviews! 

Wedding addict

I'm struggling with this too! 
I never wear make up but both of my bridesmaids won't leave the house without their faces on. I asked them to do mine but they didn't want the responsibility, plus they have no experience of bridal make up which I'm led to believe is quite different from your everyday stuff.

So, I'm looking for a MUA who will do a very natural look. I've looked on Facebook and asked for recommendations but on most of their photos, the girls look plastered in make up (to me). I'm also a mature bride (late 40s) so don't really want heavy eyebrows or false lashes. 

I've contacted quite a few for quotes and they range from £80 to £200 just for me (including a trial).

I've approached them at wedding fairs and they don't seem interested (but I've found that for most stands). I'm really at a loss for what to do!

Bridezilla

I looked at their galleries, Facebook pages and reviews extensively. Where are you based?

Wedding addict

Hails wrote (see post):

I looked at their galleries, Facebook pages and reviews extensively. Where are you based?

I'm in Leicestershire.

New bride

How long in advanced did everyone book their MUA? We're getting married in October but the lady I want just isn't getting back to me, I'm assuming it's just too far in advanced, or she wants more work than me and 1 bridesmaid. Any suggestions? 

Wedding addict

The hairdressers I use also does beauty, so they have staff that are trained to do makeup for weddings etc. I've never seen their beauty work but i've booked them for the wedding day and have a trial in March!x

New bride

I'm getting married in Nottingham and one of the MUAs I'm looking at does quite natural looking makeup. Make Up by Jenni. I don't know what you're budget is, I think she was around the £200 for bridal trial and day of, but may be worth seeing if she covers Leicestershire?

Bridezilla

LisaDToBe wrote (see post):
Hails wrote (see post):

I'm in Leicestershire.

I'm Leicestershire too! If you find anyone, please let me know. I'm going to a wedding fair at our venue at the end of the month and hoping to meet a few hair and MUAs there. 

Bridezilla

I searched on google to find a bunch but the one I’ve booked with in the end I ended uo finding from seeing their flyer in a Costa.