Your planning threads

My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

41 to 60 of 130 posts

New bride

hey!! Glad to see a 2019 thread on here!

we are 10th May 2019 but still feels like a very long time away.

happy planning 

Wedding addict

FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):
Desert-bride wrote (see post):

Hi there - another Sheffield bride (I guess) here. 

Have you looked at 99 Mary Street & Trafalgar Warehouse? Both are amazing venues - quirky and possibly within your budget. Trafalgar Warehouse. 

For 2018 pricing of Trafalgar Warehouse it was £1000 - which includes warehouse space, a full stocked and licensed bar, event manager, evening event manager and door staff. It's an empty space. You can do what you like with it. 

Mary Street is much smaller but also really nice, warehouse blank space. But I don't think it has draft beer. It's a pop-up bar!

Hope this helps :) I know venues can be overwhelming.

Oooh exciting! I love finding Sheffield brides! Do you have much planned? 

Thanks for the suggestions, I've had a look and Mary street just looks a bit too small but I will definitely look into Trafalgar warehouse! 

Hahaha you are not wrong there, I've found myself stressing about venues so much even though I feel like it should be an exciting time! 

Weirdly - I have it all sorted. We're just throwing a party / evening reception though. So it feels easier. 

If you're interested in warehouse space also look at The Hind :) I enjoyed looking at venues - we settled on Yellow Arch because of it's musical history, location and it's an awesome space. I'd also recommend a look at that too :) If you have the full day there - there's an extra room for the sit down meal.

Bridezilla

Hi there - another Sheffield bride (I guess) here. 

Have you looked at 99 Mary Street & Trafalgar Warehouse? Both are amazing venues - quirky and possibly within your budget. Trafalgar Warehouse. 

For 2018 pricing of Trafalgar Warehouse it was £1000 - which includes warehouse space, a full stocked and licensed bar, event manager, evening event manager and door staff. It's an empty space. You can do what you like with it. 

Mary Street is much smaller but also really nice, warehouse blank space. But I don't think it has draft beer. It's a pop-up bar!

Hope this helps :) I know venues can be overwhelming.

Oooh exciting! I love finding Sheffield brides! Do you have much planned? 

Thanks for the suggestions, I've had a look and Mary street just looks a bit too small but I will definitely look into Trafalgar warehouse! 

Hahaha you are not wrong there, I've found myself stressing about venues so much even though I feel like it should be an exciting time! 

Weirdly - I have it all sorted. We're just throwing a party / evening reception though. So it feels easier. 

If you're interested in warehouse space also look at The Hind :) I enjoyed looking at venues - we settled on Yellow Arch because of it's musical history, location and it's an awesome space. I'd also recommend a look at that too :) If you have the full day there - there's an extra room for the sit down meal.

Oh wow! I'll have to have a stalk of your planning thread and get some ideas! We did vaguely look into yellow arch but as there's a minimum of 150 guests on a Saturday it just didn't work for us, I've heard such amazing things about it though. Our caterer said they've done some amazing weddings there! 

Bridezilla

The venue - sorted finally! 

So after a lot of umming and ahhing we have finally decided on a venue! We went for kelham island as I loved both of our options but I know H2B really wanted kelham and our parents all loved it too. We also knew that if money was no object, kelham would be the one. As we only plan to get married once we wanted to make it exactly what we wanted and not all about the cost.

We've been waiting a few weeks for the venue to give us date options as they have some unconfirmed events but we've now chosen a date and I've just emailed to confirm it! 

Soooo 21st September 2019 I'll be getting married!!!! 

Bridezilla

Congratulations on setting a date and venue! I have just read your whole thread and was in suspense, hoping I would find out by the end of it where and when your big day would be!

Your ring is stunning - huge congratulations! :)

I found this forum only a couple of months ago so a lot of my planning is done, wish I’d found it in the early stages, there is some fantastic ideas and really helpful brides! Can’t wait to read more planning for your big day...

Bridezilla

MrsT2Be wrote (see post):

Congratulations on setting a date and venue! I have just read your whole thread and was in suspense, hoping I would find out by the end of it where and when your big day would be!

Your ring is stunning - huge congratulations! :)

I found this forum only a couple of months ago so a lot of my planning is done, wish I’d found it in the early stages, there is some fantastic ideas and really helpful brides! Can’t wait to read more planning for your big day...

Thank you! It's so much more exciting now it seems real! 

I'm the opposite, I actually used to just read about people's weddings on here before I was even engaged!  I love it though and I've read so many threads about things I wouldn't have even thought of! 

Bridezilla

I'm not sure what your budget is for photography but I do have some personal faves for Yorkshire based photographers!

www.s6photography.co.uk/

https://www.kindredphotography.co.uk

www.elliegracephotography.co.uk

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I have looked at s6 and Ellie grace and really love those! Will definitely take a look at your others, photography is next on my to do list! 

Are you having a photographer for your reception? Who have you gone for? 

Bridezilla

The theme 

So when we first started planning both H2B and I decided we didn't want a theme and we would just go with what suited us. Although we have done this for the most part we have realised that our style is actually taking on a bit of a theme, so we've decided to embrace it to make the rest of the planning easier. 

I can reveal our theme is officially rustic-industrial with a touch of Sheffield thrown in (surprisingly enough this exact theme does not have many matches on pinterest...), so far we are doing the following:

Having the reception in an industrial museum

Making favours/name places out of Sheffield cutlery

Using Sheffield beer/gin etc. bottles as decorations 

Having names of places in Sheffield as table names

Hiring wooden tresle tables and chairs 

Tweed suits for the boys

Metallic colours 

I am hoping having a theme will help keep my ideas a bit more concentrated and stop me spending too much money, although at the moment it's done the opposite as all I have done is decided £800 on tables and chairs is necessary... I started the wedding planning wanting to keep it low key and inexpensive and now I seem to be wanting to spend money on all sorts of things I don't really need, I feel like Pheobe in friends when she keeps changing her mind about having a big expensive wedding! 

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear from you! 

Wedding addict

Have you seen that Hendos do wedding favours? Nothing better than Hendos :)

Theme sounds good! You can do a lot with it, helps that it's in a industrial venue.

We've gone with http://stephwhite.co.uk/ for the reception. We blew our photography budget in the States and needed someone who would cover a couple of hours for us for a decent price. If I was having the entire day in Sheffield I'd pick Ellie or S6!

New bride

Love your theme.not sure have any tips except the usual check gum tree and no impulse purchases. I have also pooled items with my cousin who gets married in March e.g. Canvas holder and one of those mini greenhouses from ikea for guests to put cards in. 

Bridezilla

Martha13 wrote (see post):

Love your theme.not sure have any tips except the usual check gum tree and no impulse purchases. I have also pooled items with my cousin who gets married in March e.g. Canvas holder and one of those mini greenhouses from ikea for guests to put cards in. 

I don't think I've seen these IKEA mini greenhouses, do you a picture/link by any chance? 

Bridezilla

Have you seen that Hendos do wedding favours? Nothing better than Hendos :)

Theme sounds good! You can do a lot with it, helps that it's in a industrial venue.

We've gone with http://stephwhite.co.uk/ for the reception. We blew our photography budget in the States and needed someone who would cover a couple of hours for us for a decent price. If I was having the entire day in Sheffield I'd pick Ellie or S6!

I have but we decided we didn't want to do actual favours because not everyone will take them so we just thought it's a waste! So we've compromised on favours that are also place names so it doesn't matter if people don't take them and we will have a sweet cart as well. We are definitely having hendos on tables though and hendos Yorkshire crisps during canapes and reception drinks! We've also collected a couple of hendos bottles to go with the beer/gin bottles. 

Yeah I really like S6, I've been to weddings before that he's done which have had amazing photos and I know he's worked at Kelham a lot before! 

Bridezilla

And he does amazing photos! The Sheffield photography was very much an after thought. We didn't want to spend more than £200 on the photography here, we wanted a bigger budget for the USA part of things :)

So excited to see your pictures! You will definitely need to do a report, I'm probably more excited for your wedding than mine! 

Bridezilla

Bridesmaid no. 3??

So I could do with some opinions please ladies. I mentioned that I didn't want too many bridesmaids as I wanted to avoid the hassle of people being left out etc. so had settled on my best friend from school, N and my family friend. 

I have another close friend, O (same circle as N). O and I used to be really close and she was probably my best friend. We don't see each other as much any more, she works a lot and spends all her free time with her boyfriend, who is not interested in seeing her friends. Although I don't see her as much I still care deeply for O and try to support her (her boyfriend is really not a nice bloke). I did consider making O a bridesmaid as she doesn't have many friends and I think it would really mean a lot to her. There is another girl, B in the same circle as N and O, although she is not the type that would feel left out if I had N and O and not her so it's not such an issue. 

O has just messaged me and told me things are really not good at home - I am tempted to ask her to be a bridesmaid to cheer her up but I don't know if this would help? 

Wedding addict

Bridesmaid no. 3??

So I could do with some opinions please ladies. I mentioned that I didn't want too many bridesmaids as I wanted to avoid the hassle of people being left out etc. so had settled on my best friend from school, N and my family friend. 

I have another close friend, O (same circle as N). O and I used to be really close and she was probably my best friend. We don't see each other as much any more, she works a lot and spends all her free time with her boyfriend, who is not interested in seeing her friends. Although I don't see her as much I still care deeply for O and try to support her (her boyfriend is really not a nice bloke). I did consider making O a bridesmaid as she doesn't have many friends and I think it would really mean a lot to her. There is another girl, B in the same circle as N and O, although she is not the type that would feel left out if I had N and O and not her so it's not such an issue. 

O has just messaged me and told me things are really not good at home - I am tempted to ask her to be a bridesmaid to cheer her up but I don't know if this would help? 

I know bridesmaids is a tricky topic. In fact, the whole 'wedding party' is tricky. I would think before choosing who will be your support on the day - you can't ask and take it back - but you can always ask later on! The one question has to come in is "will I still be close to them in 3 to 5 years time?"  

Then maybe think about the role your bridesmaids will play. What do you want them to do? Is the plan for them to help you with the details? If you want very involved bridesmaids you need to manage your own expectations - what are they like normally?  

Do I think you should ask her to cheer her up? No. Even if she's going through a tough time it doesn't mean you have to make her a bridesmaid. But if you honestly can't see wedding planning / the wedding day without her at your side - ask! :)