Your planning threads

My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

121 to 130 of 130 posts

Bridezilla

Desert-bride wrote (see post):

The indie wedding fair is great, isn’t it? Glad you’ve found some cake suppliers!!

Yes it was exactly what we wanted! We went to the Trafalgar warehouse one as well which had good suppliers but there just wasn't as much of it. There's one on at Whirlow hall farm next weekend which I was going to try and go to as well but now we're in the middle of sorting cake and flowers I'm not sure how useful a wedding fayre will be as we'll have the majority of suppliers. 

Bridezilla

Music

H2B and I both love chilled acoustic music and we saw an amazing musician at a festival last year, well before we were engaged. We decided at the time that when we get married we'd love to ask him to play. Unfortunately, after tracking him down on Facebook it turns out he is extremely hard to get hold of and I can't find any other way to contact him. 

Luckily when we were at the indie wedding fayre we heard another guy that we loved (Michael Mulholland if anyone fancies a listen) so have decided to book him. He does DJ as well and is £850 for both so I don't think we have really saved any money by going for one supplier but hopefully it will just make life easier. We were initially going to have him playing just before or during the wedding breakfast but with this package we get 2x 45 minute sets so not sure when to have them - does anyone have any suggestions?.

Bridezilla

You could do before the ceremony and then during the drinks reception.  People generally like to have a little "light" music during those time periods and he sounds like he would be perfect!

Bridezilla

KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

You could do before the ceremony and then during the drinks reception.  People generally like to have a little "light" music during those time periods and he sounds like he would be perfect!

Oooh I love the idea of before the ceremony but ours is at a church so will have to see if he'd do two locations, worth asking though as I think that would be brilliant! 

I had thought about the drinks reception but ours is in a museum so people will probably spread out quite a bit through the museum, I might do it then anyway though as those that aren't interested in the museum can just stay near him and listen instead. Then hopefully everyone will be happy! 

Bridezilla

Flowers

As I mentioned, I went to a couple of good wedding fayres recently and so am really making moves with suppliers now. I saw a few lovely florists that I picked up fliers for and after trawling through their websites, H2B and I narrowed it down to our two favourites. We have now spoken to both of those and got quotes so just need to decide between them as we love them both. We(I) really want something quite natural and relaxed feeling, not too structured and colour wise we will go for lots of greenery, with blue/greys and ivory. 

Botanicals

I was so drawn to Botanicals as it was probably the first florist I saw that had a display of completely what I want, I loved everything she had on display and really liked the fact that she used a lot of things like thistles and lavender and similar things (I really know nothing about flowers so this will probably be the worst post ever to read - sorry). She had the most gorgeous button holes - even beloved Pinterest hasn't been able to show me anything as nice!

We went to meet with the owner Sarah at her house as she works from home, we felt so welcome and relaxed when we went round and I just thought we got on with her so well, she completely understood exactly what I wanted and was coming up with such amazing suggestions. I loved her and wanted to go for her there and then! 

Frances and Rose

We met Frances and Rose at the indie wedding fayre and my mum said their flowers made her cry - don't get me wrong they were beautiful flowers but honestly my mum is the last person I would expect to get emotional over something like that so I was very surprised! Frances and Rose are based on a farm and grow a lot of their own flowers which I think is really so lovely. They arranged to have a phone call with me which I was a bit skeptical about as I think it is much easier to meet in person with something like flowers but it was better than I expected and it gave them enough info to make a quote. Although they were very friendly I didn't get the same warmth and ease I got from Sarah. 

I was quite torn between the two and really hoped there would be a massive price difference to make a clear winner - unfortunately there is a £2 difference in quotes which does not help me much! 

Bridezilla

Florist Decision

so after much deliberating and stalking both florists Instagrams to within an inch of their lives I realised that actually I probably ever so slightly preferred Botanicals' flowers, this plus the fact she was so lovely and easy to get along with meant I knew she was the right decision. She will also move the flowers from the church to the reception venue which is a massive bonus as it seems such a shame to waste all those lovely flowers and only see them for an hour. Here are some of my inspiration pictures: 

Bridezilla

Desert-bride wrote (see post):

Good decision and useful that the flowers will be moved! I’m sure the church would be able to make use of them! But I guess you’ve paid for them, you should see them for the entire day. 

Yes I know I stupidly feel a bit guilty for taking the flowers from the church but then selfishly I think that I want to see my flowers all day!