Your planning threads

Relaxed Summer Wedding in the Chilterns,

21 to 40 of 61 posts

Bridezilla

Yes marquees aren't the cheap wedding venue people think they are! My brother and his wife borrowed a piece of land and the local gardening society's marquee thinking it would be a cheap way to have a wedding. 

By the time they had hired flooring, dancefloor, generator, bar, tables, chairs, caterer, crockery/cutlery/glassware, portable toilets and all sorts of other things they hadn't thought about it cost them an absolute fortune, more than I'm paying for my wedding venue - and it took them 2 days to set up and a day to take it all down again! The catering was also a nightmare to organise because there was no on site kitchen.

The tipis do look lovely though - just make sure you've budgeted for everything before you commit.

Your catering sounds fab, I'm a massive curry fan so would be thrilled with the food at your wedding!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

Love your planning, and LOVE the curry idea, brilliant! :) 

Just a thought - if the tipi becomes a bit pricey, have a look at stretch tents. Obvs we were lucky with the weather, but you can have them sides down to make them cosier. We were in a garden situation and it gave a nice indoors/outdoors vibe. Ours looked like this (not great photos but you get the idea - all the lights and foliage!):

Looking forward to reading more!

Wedding addict

Elz2017 wrote (see post):

Love your planning, and LOVE the curry idea, brilliant! :) 

Just a thought - if the tipi becomes a bit pricey, have a look at stretch tents. Obvs we were lucky with the weather, but you can have them sides down to make them cosier. We were in a garden situation and it gave a nice indoors/outdoors vibe. Ours looked like this (not great photos but you get the idea - all the lights and foliage!):

Looking forward to reading more!

It looks beautiful! I'll definitely look into those if the tipis don't work out, thank you! I love that it would still feel like you're sitting outside.. The weather would concern me though, I don't trust the British weather at all. 

Cecilia x

My planning thread : http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/relaxed-summer-wedding-in-the-chilterns/454084.html

Wedding addict

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Yes marquees aren't the cheap wedding venue people think they are! My brother and his wife borrowed a piece of land and the local gardening society's marquee thinking it would be a cheap way to have a wedding. 

By the time they had hired flooring, dancefloor, generator, bar, tables, chairs, caterer, crockery/cutlery/glassware, portable toilets and all sorts of other things they hadn't thought about it cost them an absolute fortune, more than I'm paying for my wedding venue - and it took them 2 days to set up and a day to take it all down again! The catering was also a nightmare to organise because there was no on site kitchen.

The tipis do look lovely though - just make sure you've budgeted for everything before you commit.

Your catering sounds fab, I'm a massive curry fan so would be thrilled with the food at your wedding!

Yes I am discovering all this eek! However I haven't yet found a venue locally that was as flexible with caterers and that is less expensive. A lot of places I saw and thought were reasonably priced seem to say you had to use their associated caterers etc, who ended up of course being expensive and nothing like what we wanted. I think overall it is still working out as a bit cheaper, just not as much as we'd hoped! My grandparents also already have tables and chairs for more than half of the number of guests we're planning, so that does help cut the cost a bit. It's all so complicated!

Unfortunately my heart is set on the tipis and so I'm relying on my H2B to be the rational one! I also spoke to my dad about it all and he said not to worry too much, we can work it out. I'm still going to keep the cost as low as possible though!

Cecilia x

My planning thread : http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/relaxed-summer-wedding-in-the-chilterns/454084.html

Wedding addict

Photographer

We are extremely lucky to know a very talented young photographer; as musicians we have to have portraits taken for various things and Becca has taken mine on several occasions. She mostly focused on portraits and photos of bands, bloggers, performers etc, but she has photographed a couple of her friends' weddings and we know she is extremely good, so we asked her and as she doesn't do many weddings the price is amazing (£400) so we've booked her and we're thrilled!

Becca recently took photos of us as we are starting a musical project together; they're rather more unusual than our wedding photos will be (we will play weird music) but I think they show how beautiful her photography is:

Photos by Rebecca Need-Menear

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

Pretty Things!

I know I have ages before I need to start thinking about this kind of thing.. but I have a couple of days off, Ralph is on tour and so I have a lot of time to think about lots of pretty things!

Leading on from the photographer, one thing I absolutely love is a wedding confetti shot. I have seen a few mentions of Dollz Confetti on threads on here and am extremely tempted to include in the budget. We had decided not to have any because there isn't an ideal place for it at our ceremony venue, but now I've discovered this beautiful dried petal confetti, I think that it would make such a beautiful group photograph to have us with everyone throwing it behind! The two types I particularly like aren't quite within the moody greys/teals/sea greens of our colour scheme but I think they'd still look beautiful, and I could maybe sprinkle some down the tables as well to tie it all together!

I particularly love these:

So I'm very tempted! The first blue ones are reasonably close to British sea colours I guess..

The other thing I've got started on is invitations! I won't send these out for a long time, but any craft project means self control goes out of the window, and I wanted to give myself time to experiment and get new things if I didn't like what I came up with!

I'm handmaking them, which means they won't be anything like professional ones, but I always handmake my Christmas cards and they tend to go down well with people! (My mum still has hers up from last Christmas as she liked it so much!). It's turned out that I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt, so I've done about 35 already. After a few more I'll have to buy some more cards but as I've got lots of time I'm just enjoying sitting in a cloud of glitter at the moment!

I've been using a stamp, ink and embossing powder from Hobbycraft. I bought pearly white cards, a pretty flower stamp and white ink, and irridescent powder. You make the print on the card, sprinkle over the powder, shake off the excess and then blast with a heat fun. The powder reacts (melts?) under the heat and embosses itself to the card.

You can see in those that they look different when they catch the light at different angles!

The plan is to design something for the writing on the computer and print that out and stick to the other side. Not perfect I know, but so so much cheaper and more fun than ordering the type of thing I'd choose otherwise! I just have to make sure I clear up the glitter by the time Ralph gets back from France tomorrow (it just gets everywhere!). Ralph is not the biggest fan of glitter as it ends up all over his clothes, but it is something he is learning to accept about me over the years!

Another idea I've had decor wise is candles in wine bottles from our area of Germany; my dad has a holiday house out there in the wine region (on the river Mosel) and I have spent a lot of time there in the last few years; it's my happy place and he trained as wine maker there for a while, so it's very special. My plan is to have cream candles in them, but I will also probably do some glass painting on them in gold. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm doing yet, but he delivered a huge box of bottles he's been saving (I think I underestimated how much wine he and his girlfriend get through!) And I think I probably have enough so

Cecilia x

Bridezilla

Cecilia13 wrote (see post):

Yes I am discovering all this eek! However I haven't yet found a venue locally that was as flexible with caterers and that is less expensive. A lot of places I saw and thought were reasonably priced seem to say you had to use their associated caterers etc, who ended up of course being expensive and nothing like what we wanted. I think overall it is still working out as a bit cheaper, just not as much as we'd hoped! My grandparents also already have tables and chairs for more than half of the number of guests we're planning, so that does help cut the cost a bit. It's all so complicated!

Unfortunately my heart is set on the tipis and so I'm relying on my H2B to be the rational one! I also spoke to my dad about it all and he said not to worry too much, we can work it out. I'm still going to keep the cost as low as possible though!

You seem to be approaching it realistically and have thought it through, unlike my brother, so I'm sure it will all turn out beautifully 😀

Your invitations look fab!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

You seem to be approaching it realistically and have thought it through, unlike my brother, so I'm sure it will all turn out beautifully 😀

Your invitations look fab!

I don't think we started off like that but we're trying to be sensible! 

Thanks! I'm still a bit worried that people think they're a bit sloppy/homemade but I am quite pleased with the overall effect :) just my more formal grandparents might think they're a bit slapdash! I'm having so much fun blasting them with a heatgun though.

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

Hairpiece?

I think I posted a picture of my hairpiece before. Here it is to remind you:

So I'm generally pleased with it and think it's pretty, and I was thrilled to find it for £20! But then someone on this forum (I can't remember who but it was a particularly lovely thread) posted an amazing headpiece and I looked at the company and found some really really beautiful things. Now I'm feeling conflicted, but they are WAY too expensive.. so my  mum and I have decided to get together this summer and try to make some beautiful things inspired by them. We've actually wanted to try setting up some sort of crafty business togrtoge for a while, setting up an Etsy shop etc, so if it goes well we may try that! As long as it doesn't take up all my time because I still want to be a musician first and foremost. My mum is a ceramicist and very talented artist and I've always been quite good at this kind of thing so I think we will have fun, but if I don't like what we end up doing I do still like what I have already! I might do a metalwork jewellery course at some point though...

Here are some examples of what I loved on Luna Bea:

I'll also need to think about what would work with my hair as this is me:

As you can see, not long and wavy and glamorous. So it would need to be some sort of hairband like the one I have or a crown type thing? Anyway we'll see!

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

More Music and Reading for ceremony

I've had a brainwave about music for the signing of the register. I may hBeh mentioned it before but one of my favourite pieces might be arrangeable for the musicians I have available now that I've remembered I have two sisters who are amazing at singing and so far don't have any musical task yet in this ceremony plan (one is a professional jazz singer and one is an actress but very good singer). So I think with piano and violin and two voices we can probably cover all the main parts of:

Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, Finale (Until the Break of Day).

If the violin takes Titania's part (it goes super high) and one sister sings Oberon and one sister takes the choirboy line, and the piano plays the chords underneath and supports some of the melody I think it could be really beautiful!

https://youtu.be/IGj9oBNP2qA

The song I like is from 2 mins 30 :).

Here are the words (the text under Oberon, Tytania, Fairies)

Very wedding appropriate!

So that but maybe with an English folk song or two from the same composer beforehand would probably make about 8 minutes which I think is right for the signing? 

Reading wise, Ralph's sister is an amazing poet/ spoken word performer. At his Godfather's funeral she wrote a really beautiful poem and read it out and I think it would be really lovely if we asked her to write one to read during the ceremony (we won't have any other readings I think! I get bored personally). 

That would mean all sisters will be involved in the ceremony as well as walking down the aisle as my bridesmaids! 

Cecilia x

Bridezilla

I love the Luna Bea stuff- equally unsure if I want to spend that much on a hair thing. I think you can rock anything, your hair is gorgeous and would look great with any of those. 

Looking forward to seeing how music will be incorporated so much into your day, sounds like planning is in full swing!

Wedding addict

Sian91 wrote (see post):

I love the Luna Bea stuff- equally unsure if I want to spend that much on a hair thing. I think you can rock anything, your hair is gorgeous and would look great with any of those. 

Looking forward to seeing how music will be incorporated so much into your day, sounds like planning is in full swing!

It may have been your thread I saw it on! It's beautiful but I want slightly more expensive tipis than we'd planned so I really can't justify the cost of one of those. So fingers crossed something awesome comes out of our crafty experiments!

Thanks! Yeah we're trying to sort out lots because Ralph is on tour in October/ November and I'm on tour November/December so then suddenly it will be only half a year left.. so as much as possible done this summer is the plan, as another tour could come up in the new year and then we'd be pushed for time. Music and food are definitely the most important things outside the actual getting married !

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

I'm pretty nervous because tomorrow we are going to see the tipis! I've seen them in person before and fell in love but I am really really hoping that H2B feels the same when he walks in. It won't be completely decorated as the wedding party won't have got in when we see it, but I'm hoping he can feel the same things I did. We haven't really pursued anything else yet and he really loved the pictures I took and on their website, as well as the fact that it seems to be a family-run company and we loved reading about the owners' own wedding on their blog, they seem so friendly. 

Fingers crossed eeek! A reminder of the tipis and where they'll be:

We wouldn't have the chill-out area, and I think we'd have sides open and if the weather is nice we'll spent a lot of the time in my grandparents' lovely garden !

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

Shoes

In my previous accessories post I forgot to explain about my trainers!

So a reminder of my ceremony shoes:

Sorry for the clash with the purple velvet!!

I am so excited by them it's ridiculous. I love how colourful and irridescent they are! I really wanted to inject some sort of strong colour into the outfit after I surprised myself with such a traditional dress and veil, so I was so thrilled when I found those in a charity shop. Normal me wears Barbie pink irridescent raincoats and velvet trousers and bright vintage shirts with sparkly boots, so all ivory is quite unusual for me! That's where these came in! 

They're comfier than they look actually, but I absolutely know I won't last all day in them.. so I also have some trainers I got for £20 in Topshop sale:

I decided they were weddingy because of the pearls, but I think I want to jazz them up a bit as they're a bit feeble for me. Considering getting pearly and gold fabric paint and flower-ifying them with some more beads and things! They're just too normal for me right now. But they will save my feet!

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

Better Pictures!

I also found better pictures of my dress (I changed phones and only had screenshots that had transferred phones for some reason) and of my wedding ring with my engagement ring. So here they are:

I am so in love with the skirt of my dress and I love the detail on the sleeves! And I have a long ivory cathedral veil with beautiful appliqués on. From the girl who didn't want a formal/ traditional dress..

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

Groom's Suit

We've started to have a look online for things we might like. We'd discussed a dark green or teal suit, and when we first discussed it there were loads, but they all seem to have disappeared, apart from some left on Asos but they don't look like high enough quality. 

Ralph is also against a 3 piece suit, he wants to get something he can use for gigs which I entirely don't mind about. As we're getting married in August there's a potential for it being very warm (although I doubt it!) And I played at a wedding last weekend in which all the groomsmen were boiling hot  and sweaty and fanning themselves through the cerrmony.

Anyway so this evening I was having a browse and I found a teal one from John Lewis that we both really liked:

Not with that tie as it doesn't fit with the rest of our wedding, but it's very Ralph and the colour of the suit is perfect for our moody grey/teal British stormy sea colour scheme. I guess black shoes? 

Anyway we will go and have a look at some point this weekend, he can try it on and we can see what else is there. He isn't keen on shopping so it will probably be super speedy! Does anybody have any recommendations of where we should look? Ralph basically always goes to M&S but they don't have anything in the colours we were thinking so that has used up both of our suit-buying knowledge. Help!

(Best man will choose his own, like my bridesmaids, not matching)

Cecilia x

Bridezilla

Debenhams? The larger stores often have different colours suits :) 

Wedding addict

Fiona98 wrote (see post):

Debenhams? The larger stores often have different colours suits :) 

Ah ok I'll definitely have a look there :) thanks! It's hard as we're musicians so used to dressing up a lot for performing and we want something different from his normal suits but also something he can wear for future gigs. I think it affected my dress choice as well, I have to wear wide skirts as a cellist so it's become the silhouette I go for, and although we want quite a relaxed day I think it had to be more special than the dresses I wear for my concerts, some of which are floor length ball gown type things. So I'm interested to see what he gets in the end!

Cecilia x

Wedding addict

Next has a lovely range of suits, and some are really unusual! My FH picked up a pretty cool blue/grey one that is almost iridescent with the two thread colours. 

I love your dress! its utterly gorgeous, and the invites are beyond amazing!! I'd pay good money for that! Does the embossing powder just stick to the ink from the stamp? 

Cant wait to see how it all comes together! 

Wedding addict

CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):

Next has a lovely range of suits, and some are really unusual! My FH picked up a pretty cool blue/grey one that is almost iridescent with the two thread colours. 

I love your dress! its utterly gorgeous, and the invites are beyond amazing!! I'd pay good money for that! Does the embossing powder just stick to the ink from the stamp? 

Cant wait to see how it all comes together! 

Ah thanks, I didn't think of Next at all. That sounds like it's really nice!

Thanks :) I'm thrilled with it, especially as a sample so half price but in brilliant condition.

I'm glad you like the invitations! I have SO much fun making them, I've considered setting up a shop on Etsy and do cards and invitations for a while, but I was worried as they're not perfect and polished that people might not buy them.. but maybe I'll consider it again  that made my day!

Cecilia x