Your planning threads

Road trip meets party August / September 2018

41 to 60 of 94 posts

Bridezilla

Desert-bride wrote (see post):
FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Grooms wear

This is proving to be more difficult then first thought. Taking into account the desert and a party in September in the UK is proving stressful for groom-to-be. (I feel weird saying H2B despite it being easier to type!)

So far we have looked at linen suit, short suit, chinos and shirt but he seems to be settled on chinos, shirt, waistcoat. Like this:

The problem comes when he involves his two best-men. He wants matching outfits for the party, which is fine. We'd get the waistcoat and tie and hopefully, they'll have the chinos and a white shirt. But they think he should wear a suit because it'll be more formal, whereas nothing about this wedding is formal. Getting married in the desert is hardly a formal affair. Having strangers be your witnesses isn't formal. The only thing that really matters is comfort really. 

We've found a place called Tweed & Groom in Barnsley, who have everything he wants, so he has booked to go there with the two best men in May. 

I think he is just having a bit of a flap and will settle after it's out of his system. He is happy to wear converse on his feet though - so we've ticked that box.

It's a funny little role reversal, we have them quite a bit. I love football. He hates it. I found my dress shopping an easy experience, he is having a nightmare finding something to wear. No big deal. I'm sure he'll sort something out - and if not, it isn't the end of the world!

I'm sure he'll settle on something. To me a suit seems ridiculous for your wedding but each to their own! 

We are planning on going to tweed and groom so would be very interested to hear your opinions! 

I will definitely report back about the experience there. So far, they seem super helpful. There aren’t many places which offer something a bit different from the usual suits!

Yes I found that, H2B wants tweed and you really don't get much in the more mainstream places! 

Bridezilla

Figured we get something ticked off the party to do list. Admittedly, it’s a very short to do list. Originally we wanted a US mailbox but they cost money. We have plenty of wood and with other half being a designer / engineer we have the skills between us to make things. So we made this

For a card total cost of £0! just need to paint the inside so you can’t see the scaffold board used

Bridezilla

The wedding is in under 100 days. So, I need to crack on with getting things ticked off. Namely finding a make up / hair person, finishing vows, confirming with the photographer and officiant that we are good to go! 

Im fairly confident with everything else. 

Ive got a dress fitting tomorrow, and I am armed with 4 pairs of converse to see which goes best. 

Groom has his suit fitting on Saturday so should come back armed with a waistcoat 😀

i think we just need to write a to do list and get the major items ticked off.

In unrelated news - I’ve started making the playlists for the road trip, cause that seems important 😂

Bridezilla

The wedding is in under 100 days. So, I need to crack on with getting things ticked off. Namely finding a make up / hair person, finishing vows, confirming with the photographer and officiant that we are good to go! 

Im fairly confident with everything else. 

Ive got a dress fitting tomorrow, and I am armed with 4 pairs of converse to see which goes best. 

Groom has his suit fitting on Saturday so should come back armed with a waistcoat 😀

i think we just need to write a to do list and get the major items ticked off.

In unrelated news - I’ve started making the playlists for the road trip, cause that seems important 😂

So exciting how soon it is! Please tell me you will do a report as I need to hear all about it! 

Bridezilla

I will be doing a write-up! I intend on trying to do a daily holiday report for each place we visit! 

VegasLou - I’ve pretty much left him to the decision on what he is wearing. He is off to Tweed & Groom (which I will report on after Saturday!) armed with different coloured chinos to see what he wants to go with. I think he is intending on a white cotton shirt, waistcoat and grey chinos. He debated Linen for a bit, but figured it wouldnt travel well and he wouldn’t wear it again. With a nice waistcoat it would go with his suits.

Im currently out of work - every day stresses do not help motivate you to do wedding related things.   

Bridezilla

Sounds similar to what Mr.D is thinking of wearing and we spoke about Linen, I do love linen but it creases so easily! 

Yay to your en route report! I usually do this on our road trips as it helps to remember everything, I’ve used travel blog thing before and family have been able to access It to see where we are and what we’re up to. 

Fx some work turns up for you soon x

Bridezilla

I agree, the blue pair look amazing!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

Thanks guys - the dress is so personal and blue, I was nervous about what people would think when I ordered it! But I do love it - so stopped caring about other peoples comments. I'm going with the blue pair and will be returning the other 3 pairs tomorrow. I saved a grand total of £5 on my shoe budget! Better than nothing..

Jumping to the party again, we've slowly been getting cacti from IKEA. After a lot of searching, it turns out IKEA is actually the cheapest place for the cacti and pot. They work out at £1.50 each, which is what we got quoted for just the plastic pot from wholesalers and florists. We're toying with idea of doing some marble paint effect on the pots and then handing them out to people after the party - cause who needs 20 mini cacti in their house?!

Can't sleep, currently my sleeping pattern is all over the shop, so with 92 days until we fly (which means everything needs to be done by then) here is a little to do list:

USA

Skype call with Officiant
Send vows
Call with photographer
Book slot canyon / sort permits
Find hair / make-up person

Sheffield

Grooms wear – waistcoat, chinos, tie, shoes
“Best men” wear
Wedding rings – pick up / pay final balance
Suitcase for dress to go into
Pay venue off (1 month prior – 15 August)
Pay food off (1 month prior – 15 August)
Sort out guest book
Cash for band (on day)
Arrange meeting with Photographer – pay balance one month prior.
RSVP – chase after 4 August
Decide what to do with hair / make-up (will likely just go to the hair dresser / make up counter for cheapness?)

Bridezilla

Grooms outfit / attire

I have previously mentioned that groom isnt a fab decision  maker and was a bit unsure about what to wear. I had full confidence he’d decide in the end.

He went along to Tweed and Groom with his two “best men“ to find an outfit. He was the first appointment of the day on a day were they were fully booked. He said he found the experience fine and non-pushy, which is always good. Ended up getting the waistcoat and bow ties from there. It was made clear that the chinos and shirt would be brought elsewhere and there was no issues with that. Paid the 50% deposit and everyone is happy!

Tweed and Groom at the moment is in a little nook of the white yard (a bridal shop) but they manage to pack quite a lot of choice into the tiny room and have a good selection of suits, waistcoats and accessories.

The bow tie matches the pocket detail. Chinos will be brought from the high street and he is stil deciding on shoes. But likely to be Vans!

Bridezilla

FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Ooh glad to hear your good review of tweed and groom! I was worried how much range they would have but it sounds like there's enough.

H2Bs outfit looks great, I love bow ties! 

Yeah, he said if he wanted a shit he may consider going there in future! 

I’m told the bow tie in monochrome and looks better in person then on the picture. 

I think you’re H2B will fine something from them!

Bridezilla

Groom shoes

OH picked up the shoes today, he has gone with these

He is all sorted and that’s outfits ticked off the list. 

Vows

We have also sent off vows to the officiant who said they were terrific and fun. We both felt pleased with ourselves. We have a Skype call with the officiant on Wednesday too. 

Bridezilla

The to do list is much smaller now.

We received our ceremony script today - which is a strange thing to say. We had a read through and thought maybe it was just a touch too long. I won't share the entire thing (because, it's long and covers a lot of things) but it did have this:

A true spiritual marriage is an act of metamorphosis, a profound mystery of creation and rebirth, as two become one.

Which made us both stop and sing the Spice Girls. Thankfully, we can edit it. But I'm not sure how well the fact we need to remove something because it makes us both think of the Spice Girls is quite what the officiant would be expecting..😆 

We've also booked the slot canyon and agreed to a 6am ceremony time to avoid the hottest part of the day (a wise move, given it'll be near 40 degrees!)

What is causing an issue is make-up. 

I am not someone who wears make-up. I don't mean - meh, I throw one foundation and I'm done. I wear NONE. Ever. I've had friends do it for weddings and what not - but just know that if I paid $350 plus their hotel for a make-up artist, I'd dislike what they would do. For the sake of learning how to do it myself and for sending £45 on make-up, I figured I have just over 2 months to learn. It's much harder than I ever thought!! 😨 

What I'm hoping for is a natural, looking bride without bags under her eyes and maybe some eye definition - like this lovely looking lady here:

But I didn't manage that. Given it's my first attempt I'm going to give myself a bit of breathing room.

If anyone is still reading -  please help!!  😂

Bridezilla

My advice is to go to a make up counter in Debenhams or similar and they will teach you. Clarins & Bobbi Brown both do bridal make up lessons, I'm guessing other brands will too. My friend did this for her wedding. 

My mum and I had our make up done at a Clarins counter for my brother's wedding and they kept it really lovely & natural - My mum never wears make up either and I don't wear much.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html