Your planning threads

Two brides in Two Woods...our autumn 2018 festival wedding planning thread

1 to 20 of 48 posts

Bridezilla

So after reading some of your lovely planning threads I thought it would be a nice thing for me to do and get some ideas down, we are also making a scrapbook so I can keep this and keep a thread of it all...

Background

So, a VERY short background to a very long story...I was previously engaged five years ago to my long term boyfriend, we broke up three months before the wedding, very sad and awful time. Fast forward 6 months and I meet someone else...a woman. Yep, it was a shock to me too!! But we are so happy. She is everything I never knew was missing from my life. Everyone says I am a different person now. She is different to me in that she isn't as girly as me (but not a tomboy either), and she loves heavy metal, whereas I love terribly cheesy music! But we are similar in lots of other ways. She is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen so not quite sure what she is doing with me really! She was living across the other side of the country when we first met, but she moved in with me in London last year and the rest is history! 

Proposal

We have been together three years and I thought it was about time, so I took her to Italy for her birthday, four days in Tuscany and three in the Cinque Terre. I had planned to propose on a picnic up up in the Tuscan hills somewhere, on her actual birthday in Florence. But she hated Florence! And I hated driving, so the moment never materialised. I was pretty much kakking myself all week carrying around this ring in my pocket, I have newfound respect for anyone that has proposed! In the end I did it at sunset overlooking the sea on our balcony apartment. I had had a book created with everything I loved about her, and us, in it, made a playlist and bought a ring made from reclaimed twigs. She is an outdoorsy, non-sparkly, non-girly girl and I agonised over the ring but she loved it. We almost missed the sunset as she was taking so long over her hair...she was like "why are you being so bossy, I am coming!" I cried before I could get the words out, she cried, and then we went out for dinner to celebrate! 

Will write up some details about the wedding venue we have chosen and the planning process so far later on...

Here are some pics of the ring/book

Bridezilla

Thank you!

Planning

So after sharing the news with our slightly shocked friends and family we didn't waste any time planning. We knew we wanted something really different, not anything too formally or showy. So we decided pretty soon we wanted a festival/relaxed feel to the day, ideally a tipi-style venue. 

We saw tonnes of venues in Surrey, Sussex, Kent and the Cotswolds and narrowed it down to two until...

The Venue - Two Woods

We actually went to see a different tipi venue and they told us about Two Woods, a new venue based in West Sussex. We went to see it and that was it, nothing else compared! It is absolutely beautiful. They have a licenced outdoor area, you get married under these beautiful Redwood trees. Then you can have a festival feel reception in the meadows if you wish, or use their barn. We are going for something inbetween and having the daytime reception in the meadow then the evening reception in the venue's barn.

The only decision left is who gets the bridal suite to get ready in?!! A consideration with two brides!! 

Bridezilla

Omg - those woods look beautiful. I have a similar proposal story to you, my husband carried a ring all around a group holiday in Poland - due to various factors there was never a good moment!  But you found the right moment on your hol- sounds lovely! 

Bridezilla

Thanks everyone!! 

Bridesmaids and early planning

Once we had paid the venue we booked the registrar. They gave me a choice between 1 or 3 and we thought 3 was a bit late so went for 1!

I asked my sister and my two best friends to be bridesmaids, and R asked her sister. My sister was upset at first I didn't ask her to be maid of honour, but I explained that one of the girls was my best friend since uni, and my other bridesmaid had asked me to be her MoH for her wedding next year so I really couldn't rule anyone out! Plus R asked her sister so we would have had two MoH's! I did these cute little bags for them filled with bits and bobs they would need to be Bms!

Our venue is dry hire during the day so we quickly found this really cool Kombikeg which is a retro camper guests help themselves to! We are so excited, now just need to decide what to put in the kegs! Maybe beer/cider/ale and a soft drink? We also are having a pimp your own prosecco table. 

Caterers, dresses and other things are all still to be decided. We are sending out out save the dates this week and so proud of them so will send a pic as soon as they are ready! 

Bridezilla

So we finally finalised our save the dates this week! Took us ages. We got a stamp made with a logo on it and I did the pictures in photoshop, then we printed it out on brown card. Finally we stamped little round wooden discs and then put different little wooden animals on the card. We added a magnet to the back. What do you think?!

We posted them yesterday after a few heated discussions about the final guestlist haha!!

Bridezilla

OMG KombiKeg is Amazing! and will suit your wedding so well! Love you save the dates too.

Bridezilla

So we are now turning to dresses! It is slightly more difficult with two brides, we are trying not to find out what each other is wearing but obviously can't keep it a complete secret, and family are notoriously indiscreet! 

I am pretty sure R is after a boho-style dress, and while I have an appointment to try some on this style, I am just not sure they will suit me. I have always thought I loved the 50s style tea length dresses but due to me almost getting married before in a tea length I wanted something different. However, walking past a bridal store on Saturday one caught my eye and I have been thinking about them again. 

So I need help ladies!! 

Firstly, do you think it matters if my dress doesn't "match" hers or the bridesmaids? For the bridesmaids we are going mismatched grey/purple boho.

Would it be weird if I went for a tea length dress again?

Also, as a bigger lady (UK size 16) do you think the boho/lace ones are a good idea? I have an appointment in January to try some dresses on but my four favourite ones I have "pinned" and keep going back to could not be more different. 

Lastly, I LOVE the tulle blue/grey dress pictured here below but do you think it would be completely impracticable for an outdoor woodland wedding? 

The other three I love are all a bit more suitable for the venue, and I love them all! How do I choose?!

Thanks for your help in advance! 

C.x

Bridezilla

I think you need to try the dresses on and see how they fit and feel and more importantly how they make you feel wearing them. My dress is everything I said I didn’t want in my dress but when I put it on I just knew! Dresses can be taken up to accommodate your woodland wedding so I wouldn’t worry too much about the tulle. Good luck x

Bridezilla

I just caught up with your thread - absolutely love your back story. I've a very firm believer in 'everything happens for a reason', and the rubbish bits help us realise how right things are, when we find the right person. 

I'm not going to lie, I'm green with envy at your save the dates. They're absolutely amazing! And those dresses are beautiful, each in their own way. Like MrsHowgate2B said, just see what feels good on.

Bridezilla

All your dresses are lovely, especially the first one, maybe they go alter it to  a shorter length to make it easier to move around in?

Bridezilla

Ah thanks so much everyone! I know I need to try all the dresses on before making a decision, I have made some appointments in the new year. I joined weightwatchers and wanted to lose some weight first but I do need to get a move on. I must admit I am in love with the floaty grey/blue one but others have tried to put me off saying it will get ruined. aghhhhh. Boho would fit the theme more, but I will have to see what they look like. xx

New bride

I love all those dresses and had the first two pinned to my dress board too! Think they’d look amazing in your venue setting, and as others have said could be taken up. I’m sure dresses can get ruined/dirty on the bottom at inside weddings too, so wouldn’t worry too much about that. See how you feel when you try them on :)

Bridezilla

Music!

So we booked our band! They are called festival folk and they can do acoustic and electric sets, so we are debating whether to have them do a set in the day too? think it would be great but it is just the cost at the moment. 

https://www.tailored-entertainment.com/MumfordFolk-IndiePop/Festival-Folk-Band-Kent

Food

We really wanted to go down the bbq route but we had a disastrous tasting, the food was South African BBQ style and far too fatty and heavy for us. We are exploring a couple of other BBQ options but might now be going back to the idea of street food, which we love, but I am worried after reports from other people using vans that the queues will be too long.

We did try some Lebanese sharing food that we loved, and could be served to the tables sharing-style, but do you think this would work? And is it wedding-y enough?

Appreciate thoughts!