These creative ideas prove there’s more to ceremony chic than a few limp pew ends
1. The best way to create ceremony magic? Mood lighting. Line the aisle with arrangements of church candles of differing heights set on slate boards and say your vows by flickering candlelight.
2. Create a warm autumnal mood with mini pumpkins strung together to create bunting. Paint hearts on them or carve heart shapes out of big pumpkins and dot them around the room with tealights inside.
3. If you can’t jet off to sunnier climes, bring the Med to you. Buy or hire olive and lemon trees, then decorate them with fairy lights so you can make your big debut in glittering European style. Bellissima!
4. For a soft, pretty look, wrap large satin bows around the ceremony chairs – a baby pink or pale blue shade against white wood looks chic – and tie trailing bows to the end of each row of chairs.
5. Create a winter wonderland by scattering your aisle with fake snow and hanging mini wreaths and mistletoe.
6. Oversized paper flowers in a single colour or multiple hues add a fun, fanciful feel covering the wall behind where you say your vows, or hanging from chairs, your altar or along the aisle.
7. For a novel take on flowers, hang up multi-coloured kissing balls (blooms arranged into a spherical shape) instead.
8. Swap ceremony flowers for colourful round helium balloon arrangements secured to rainbow-coloured flowerpots and save a bunch on your budget.
9. Multi-coloured ribbon tied to the backs of chairs or hanging from a ceremony arch creates a laidback vibe that’s hot for S/S 2012. Limit it to colours that suit your theme or mix it up for a cool, eclectic look.
10. Paper parasols are pretty and practical. Place them open on the floor at the end of each row of seats with co-ordinating petals scattered along the aisle. For extra pizazz, ask your florist to arrange your petals into some serious eye candy – think love hearts and swirls rather than standard sprinkles.
11. Beachside weddings offer countless on-theme aisle-styling opportunities. Line a walkway with shells, candles, brightly-coloured petals or starfish. And if you’re wedded to your stilettos, even on the beach, cover your aisle with a runner in your wedding colours.
12. Use the details of your dress to inspire your ceremony style: wrap white netted tulle around each chair and pin at the back with a pink rose. Add lace, crystal or pearl embellishments depending on your look.
13. For city-chic dos, up the glamour by tying large feathers to each pew end with ribbon.
14. Line the aisle with Moroccan-style lanterns filled with tealights and place multi-coloured scatter cushions on the chairs, for a colourful look inspired by the souks of Marrakesh.
15. Decorate an archway with armfuls of flowers and fairy lights à la Twilight Breaking Dawn: Part 1 to create a fabulous ceremony focal point where your guests can watch you say ‘I do’.
By: You & Your Wedding, 19 June 2012