1. Pink Sands, Bahamas Follow in the sandy footsteps of Julia Roberts, Susan Sarandon and Robin Williams who have all strolled along the three-mile stretch of pastel pink sand on Harbour Island. Stay at the Pink Sands Resort www.islandoutposts.com, a romantic retreat set in 20-acres of tropical grounds with 25 cottages just a coconut’s throw from the beach.
2. Maundays Bay, Anguilla Anguilla is famed for its 33 pristine white sand beaches so is the place to head to if you’re a true sun and sand worshipper. The mile-long sweep of white sand at Maundays Bay really gets a beach connoisseur’s pulse racing. This crescent of talcum powder-soft sand is overlooked by one of the most luxurious hotels in the Caribbean, Cap Juluca www.capjuluca.com, a whitewashed, Moorish-style creation with arches, domes, turrets and parapets peeping out from 179-acres of tropical grounds.
3. Frégate Island, Seychelles All of the coral-ringed islands in this Indian Ocean archipelagos have great beaches, but if we had to pick one we’d choose Frégate. Stars like Jennifer Aniston have checked in to Frégate Island Private www.fregate.com which consists of just 16 luxury villas dotted among the banyan trees and coco-de-mer palms.
4. Matira Beach, Bora Bora, French Polynesia Matira is the best stretch of sand on Bora Bora, nicknamed the romantic island by locals because of its abundance of secluded beaches and intimate hotels. This really is paradise for beach lovers and the fact that you can spot rays, sharks and dolphins just adds to the pleasure. Honeymooners can hide out in the overwater bungalows at the luxurious Bora Bora Lagoon Resort www.orient-express.com.
5. Le Morne Peninsula, Mauritius This Indian Ocean Island boasts lots of great beaches, but for sheer wow factor we recommend heading down to the south west tip of the island to marvel at the Le Morne Mountain and peninsula. Luxury hotels include Les Pavillons www.naiade.com and Dinarobin www.beachcomber.com.
6. Wilson Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia Blissfully quiet and private and with some of the world’s best coral reefs a paddle away, this is a Mecca for marine buffs and honeymooners alike. Accommodation comes in the form of six permanent luxury tents complete with huge teak-frame bed and hammock to complete the Robinson Crusoe vibe www.voyages.com.au.
7. Denis Island, Seychelles All the coral-ringed islands in this Indian Ocean archipelago have great beaches, but if we had to pick one we’d choose Denis Island. It’s a 375-acre, dreamy coral island surrounded by radiant aquamarine waters lapping on to empty white beaches. Groves of coconut palms border the stretches of sand, making ideal shade for honeymooners to lounge under in the heat of the midday sun. Stay at Taj Denis Island www.tajhotels.com, a 25-villa getaway with four-poster beds and sexy outside bathrooms.
8. Jumby Bay Beach, Antigua This curve of perfect sand is situated on a delectable 300-acre private island just off the coast of Antigua. The island is shared only by a colony of Hawksbill turtles, which have their own protected reserve, and the guests of the Jumby Bay Resort www.jumbybayresort.com, which has 39 luxurious rooms and 11 villas scattered around the island.
9. Maroma Beach, Mexico One of Mexico’s best kept secrets, Maroma lies just 30 miles south of tourist hub Cancun yet remains a world away in terms of beauty and tranquility. Nestled into the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, it’s part of the exclusive Maroma Resort www.maromahotel.com, a 500-acre eco retreat with tropical rainforest, thatched roof bungalows and miles of untouched sand.