“Eat breakfast like a king” – or so the saying goes. Well, perhaps it should be “eat breakfast like a bride-to-be”, as that is when it really matters.
It goes without saying you want to be at your best on your wedding day, both in the way you look and in how you feel. So it’s essential to be eating right in the run up to the big day. To help you out, Petra Rowden, personal trainer at The Clearing Spa at The Cornwall hotel (pictured below) in St Austell, and author of 7 Days of Inspirational Foods, reveals her top five breakfast recipes. Time to get cooking!
Sha Bang Eggs (serves 1)
This is a great recipe for the run up to the big day. Eggs are packed full of vitamins, some of which help your body to break down food into energy. They help to boost weight loss, should you be trimming down for the dress, and they are an important part of a healthy lifestyle having many other benefits.
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 small avocado
• 1 red bell pepper
• ½ small red onion
• ½ tomato
• Fresh baby spinach leaves
• A handful of cooked prawns
• 1 tsp coconut oil
• 1-2 garlic cloves
• A combination of parsley, basil. sage, tarragon, dill or chives
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large wok, sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil.
2. When the onions are soft, add the eggs, prawns, avocado, tomato and spinach.
3. Continue cooking on medium heat until the eggs are cooked and scrambled, then add herbs.
4. Season if needed.
Almond Pancakes (serves 1-2)
• 1 cup almond flour
• 2 eggs
• 3-4 tbsp of coconut milk
• 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped seeds out
• 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
• Coconut oil
1. Mix eggs, coconut milk and vanilla in a bowl and whisk together.
2. Sift in almond flour and cinnamon.
3. Heat a large pan over a medium heat; add a tsp of coconut oil to the pan and add pancake batter in small rounds, quickly turning the pan around to spread the pancake.
4. Cook until brown on the underside, about 45 seconds and then flip to brown other side.
Fruit and Nut Bowl
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons coconut oil
• ½ cup coconut shredded
• 1 mango chopped
• ¼ cup blueberries
• ¼ cup strawberries
• ¼ cup chopped pecans
• ¼ cup chopped walnuts
• 2 tbsp flax seeds
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and chill before serving.
Banana and Cinammon Omlette (serves 1)
• 1 chopped up banana
• 3 whole eggs
• 2 tbsp cinnamon
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat oil in a pan on a medium heat then add the chopped banana. Heat until they soften.
2. While the banana is warming, beat the 3 eggs in a bowl.
3. Pour the eggs over the banana.
4. When the omelette is almost cooked sprinkle the cinnamon over the top to serve.
Homemade Muesli (serves 1-2)
• 1lb gluten free porridge oats
• 1 cup flaked almonds (or mixed nuts to preference)
• ½ cup flax seeds
• 1 cup of coconut milk
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a big bowl with coconut milk and leave until the oats absorb all the liquid.
2. Spread the mix thinly across a baking tray and toast in a low heated over until lightly browned and fully dried.
3. Serve with coconut milk when cooled.