We advise spending at least 7-8% of your total budget on entertainment but it’s not always easy to dedicate a lump sum. Here are some budget-friendly ideas, as well as some super-swanky ones, to prove that you can spend exactly what you want to on your own wedding day. Who’d have thought it?
MORE EXPENSIVE IDEAS
- Casino games: For Vegas-style table hire, try funkycasinos.co.uk.
- A pro photo booth: See boothnation.com or thephotoemporium.com, and try these cute dressing-up ideas.
- Singing waiters: Check out sopranobella.co.uk.
- Silhouette artist: Send your guests home with a keepsake inspired by the Victorian art form. See theshadowcutter.co.uk
- Magician: We love deceptive-arts.co.uk and dariusmagic.com.
- Fireworks: A pricey but unforgettable 5-7 minute fairytale ending.
- A live polo match: Don’t have a barn full of horses at home? Try these venues: Ham Polo Club, Coworth Park and Cowdrey Estate.
UNUSUAL AND QUIRKY IDEAS
- Video booth: Shy guests need not apply, so keep the booze flowing!
- Carousel: The venue Preston Court comes with one, or hire one for your venue from hortonssteamfair.co.uk or eventswithadifference.co.uk.
- Double-decker bus creche: These cool options from crechemobile.co.uk, leosplaybus.co.uk and thespacebus.co.uk are sure to keep kids entertained.
8 TIPS TO STOP YOUR GUESTS LEAVING EARLY
- A digital graffiti wall: You must admit, that sounds like a whole lot of fun.
- Silent disco: We were pretty judgemental about this when greeted with headphones at our recent work party. But soon enough, the dance floor was packed with sashaying guests while the oldies enjoyed a bit of peace and quiet!
- Festival line-up: Produce evening entertainment in the form of scheduled song and dance acts. Chuck in a hot dog van and everyone’s a winner.
- Circus slideshows: Check out the aerial performers and fire-eaters from jugglinginferno.com.
- A teddy-bear picnic for kids: Cordon off their own little area and make them feel like the adults of the party.
- Garden games: Croquet, rounders, giant Jenga – there’s plenty to keep everyone entertained.
- Sparkler send-off: Cheaper than fireworks but still as explosive and great for photos.
- DIY photo booth: Craft your own selfie backdrop.
- Pub quiz: Get the Best Man to play quizmaster and everyone will love it.
- Scratch-card lottery tickets: Hand these out as favours for a cheap alternative to that casino theme.
- Juggler: Don’t dismiss it just because you and your nephew try it at home all the time. A professional juggler reaches whole new heights of entertainment.
19 UNUSUAL WEDDING ENTERTAINMENT IDEAS
- iPad caricaturist: Personal favours delivered by email – see sensiblepencil.com.
- Line-dance lessons: Guaranteed to get your guests giggling, try alivenetwork.co.uk or ceilidhtree.co.uk.
- Themed children’s treasure hunt: We love the idea of a magical round of ‘Find the Fairy’.
- Duck herding: Trust us, this is amazing: quackpack.co.uk.
- Children’s craft table: The parents will LOVE you for this one.
- Your BFFs as DJs: One set each and everyone will love it.
- Fairground kiosks: Think candy floss, a DIY coconut say or ice cream cart.