Janie Bryant wedding tips
Having dressed the likes of Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks), Betty Draper (January Jones) and Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss) for the hit Sixties show Mad Men, award-winning costume designer Janie Bryant knows a thing or two about dressing real women. And while we know The Dress is–oh-so-important, what you wear beneath it come wedding day is a key part of your outfit too – Janie is also a wardrobe expert for American lingerie label Maidenform.
From style advice to what to pack in your emergency kit, read Janie’s top five wedding tips for stylish dress success…
1. Pick your dress based on you! I chose a romantic, strapless mermaid shape with silk chiffon overlay that reminded me of the perfect summer day. (Top: Janie on her wedding day).
2. Wear the right foundations. My dress was strapless so I made sure to pick Maidenform’s One Fabulous Fit strapless bra and Maidenform’s Easy Up thigh slimmer. When you go for your gown fittings, make sure you bring these foundation garments and your shoes. It will help to make your tailor-made gown fit you perfectly!
3. Don’t forget the lingerie! You can wear the right foundation garments underneath your gown then slip away in a moment after the ceremony and reception to change into sexy, lacy lingerie – he will never know! Maidenform recommends the Pretty Collection for sexy yet stylish support. (Bottom: Pretty Collection full slip by Maidenform).
4. Plan pampering sessions in advance. Two weeks before your wedding, get your hair trimmed and colored. One week before your wedding, enjoy a facial to relax and refresh you.
5. Keep an emergency kit handy. Bring a little kit filled with necessities like lip gloss and your favourite perfume so you can retouch between the ceremony and celebration.
Create your own Mad Men-inspired wedding with our colourful vintage edit for your big day