Trying to work out what to write in a wedding card? You’re not alone. We’ve all had that writer’s block moment when we had to come up with the perfect birthday wishes for a friend, or a “sorry you’re leaving” message for a colleague. And it can be even harder to write your wedding wishes for a nearly-wed couple – after all, their big day is a major life event. Can you really just write ‘congratulations’ in their wedding card?
That’s where we come in. After all, you’ve got enough to do deciding what to wear to the wedding!
We’ve included every message you could possibly need to write in a wedding card, whether it’s for your best friend, daughter, another family member or an acquaintance. You just need to decide which style best suits your relationship with the couple.
Just make sure you check whether the couple want you to post the card or bring it on the day for the wedding card box.
So, grab your carefully chosen card and a pen, you’re going to want to jot down your favourite!
Image | Getty
Should you say congratulations in a wedding card?
It’s fine to keep your message simple – “Congratulations on your wedding!” The only thing to consider is, that wording might already be printed inside or on the front of the wedding card you’ve chosen. In order to personalise the card, it’s worth taking a look at our sample messages to see if there’s anything you can add to personalise your wedding wishes.
How much money do you put in a card for a wedding?
It’s not usual to put cash in the envelope with the wedding card any more, not least in case the card gets lost on the day. If the couple haven’t included gift list information with the invitations or on their wedding website, get in touch with them – they might have set up a registry but are waiting for guests to ask them for the details. There are lots of different types of gift list these days. The couple may want homewares, money, experiences, donations to a honeymoon fund – or all of these on one list! If the couple would like money as a wedding present, it’s easiest and safest to transfer it to them, either directly to their bank or via their gift list service. Check out our guide to how much to spend on a wedding present if you’re not sure.
How do you sign off a wedding card?
“Very best wishes” is a good way to end your wedding card, whatever your relationship with the couple. You could add a more sentimental note with “warm wishes”, “with love” or “much love to you both”. If you want to go further down the heartfelt route, “wishing you all the best for a very happy future together”.
Formal wedding wishes
- Wishing you love and happiness on your wedding day and for your new life together.
- May your joining together bring you a lifetime of happiness.
- May the love you share today grow stronger as you grow old together.
- With warmest wishes on your wedding day and always.
- There is no couple more deserving of a joyful and loving wedding day as you two.
Religious wedding wishes
- May God shower your new lives together with many blessings.
- Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! -1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- Mazel Tov on your wedding day!
- May God bless your marriage together as He did your courtship.
- Praying and wishing happiness to the new Mr & Mrs, Mr & Mr or Mrs & Mrs (surname).
Casual wedding wishes
- We love you, you beautiful people, congrats!
- Wishing you a long and happy marriage.
- So happy to celebrate with our favourite couple on their big day.
- Here’s to a fun-filled, happy marriage!
Funny wedding wishes
- On your wedding day, you two became one. Does that mean I get two birthday presents from you every year?
- Holy s*** you’re married! Congratulations to our favourite couple.
- Congratulations, you two weirdos were made for each other!
- Woohoo you got married! Wishing you two lovebirds a lifetime of Netflix binging.
Wedding wishes for your best friend
- To my best mate, I’m so thrilled to be celebrating with you on your big day. Wishing you a lifetime of happiness.
- I am so honoured to be part of your wedding day, I can’t think of a more loving couple.
- I can’t believe my best friend is getting married! I can’t think of anyone who deserves an awesome day more than you.
- You’re an actual married couple! So happy for you two, I know you will have the best life together.
Wedding wishes for a family member
- Congratulations on your wedding day – and welcome to the family, [name of person your family member is marrying]!
- We are so happy to celebrate your special day with you, what a wonderful addition to the family!
- Today, we add one more member to our family and we couldn’t be happier. Congrats!
- Congratulations on your marriage! Today we join two wonderful families together and we couldn’t be happier.
Wedding wishes for your brother or sister
- I’ve always dreamt of having a sister and now I have one, I couldn’t be happier for the both of us.
- It seems like only yesterday we were planning our dream wedding as kids, and now the day has finally come. I am so happy for you.
- Congratulations! You bring my brother/sister so much happiness and I’m so happy to celebrate with you today.
- To my baby sister/brother, I can’t believe you’re getting married. Bursting with happiness for your and your new husband/wife.
- Hehe, she/he’s your responsibility now, good luck! Just kidding, you’ll be SO happy together.
Wedding wishes for your son or daughter
- To our wonderful daughter/son, many congratulations on your wedding day. We wish you a lifetime of happiness.
- We could not be prouder of you now that you have embarked on a new journey with your beautiful wife/husband. May the future be bright!
- We know we are not losing a son/daughter but are gaining a son/daughter, and we could not be happier.
- Best wishes to our son/daughter and our new daughter-in-law/son-in-law on this joyous occasion.
Wedding wishes for a parent
- To mum/dad, wishing you every happiness on your big day.
- Mum/dad, we love you so much and (name of stepparent), we couldn’t be happier to welcome you in the family.
- (name of stepparent) you make my mum/dad so happy, and we are delighted to celebrate with you today.
- I’m so happy that you found a partner to share your life with, congratulations.
- I couldn’t be happier for the both of you.
Wedding wishes for a co-worker
- So honoured to be sharing your special day with you, congratulations on your new adventure.
- Thank you for inviting me to share this day with you and your family. Best wishes for your future together.
- Wishing you a lifetime of happiness.
Wedding wishes if you’re including a gift with the card
- Here’s a little something to start your life together.
- Have a bottle of champagne on your honeymoon on us!
- Please find a little gift from us to celebrate your wedding day.
Now all you have to worry about is what you’re going to write in the guestbook!